Yosemite Rock Climbing June 2011

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited August 9, 2011 in Journeys
Well I made it down to Yosemite! Yay! I went with someone who I had never met and just wanted someone to head down with him and lead / teach. Well I love trips to anywhere so I was immediately in.

We got on the flight and arrived in Sacramento. I had ordered an economy car which turned out to be a Chevy HHR. Not bad for sleeping in! It was a long flight and it had been a long day but we drove right to Yosemite anyway.

IMG2022-2-XL.jpg

Dave had never been to Yosemite so the first thing we did was head up to Tunnel View. I said "Don't look backwards, its better to see it all at once." When he finally did look his response was filled with explatives. Regular words hardly seem to be able to convey the immensity of the area.

IMG2025-2-XL.jpg

Bridalveil Falls was flowing nicely.
IMG2026-2-XL.jpg

IMG2027-2-XL.jpg

After a few hundred photos we headed out.
IMG2038-2-XL.jpg

Oh but not without taking a quick look back at the Captian. I wonder how many accidents have occurred because eyes were glued to this stone.

IMG2039-2-XL.jpg

More tourist photos as we continued through the park.
IMG2041-2-XL.jpg

IMG2045-2-XL.jpg

I never really had a desire to go up Leaning Tower until this trip. Now its on the list.
IMG2048-2-XL.jpg

We continued on our drive to see what Camp 4 and the other campgrounds looked like for reservations or space availability.

IMG2049-2-XL.jpg

IMG2071-2-XL.jpg

IMG2072-2-XL.jpg

We werent really having any luck as far as finding a campsite so we decided just to wing it and go climbing instead. Since I had only climbed a few routes in Yosemite before it wasn't hard to find something to do! We climbed a few easy routes as the sun was setting at Church Bowl and then headed out of the park finding a place to sleep outside park lines. The next morning we headed back into the park and right to Church Bowl to climb a great looking line called Bishops Terrace (5.8). Which is pretty obscure, I'm sure nobodys heard of it. Or considering that this single pitch 5.8 is actually on the water bottles in the mountain shop its pretty popular. Since we were the only ones there that morning and Dave and I had never really climbed together I decided to turn it into a 3 pitch climb. Which was pretty interesting.

Dave is cleaning the 3rd pitch. It can also be climbed in one long pitch but hey thats to easy.
IMG2085-2-XL.jpg

IMG2087-2-XL.jpg

Dave climbed well and without falling, I yelled down advice such as "Put your foot in the crack and turn it. Use that thing as a cam!"

IMG2090-2-XL.jpg

Anyway he powered through the route and got use to his first crack climb.

IMG2113-2-XL.jpg

IMG2141-2-XL.jpg

IMG2148-2-XL.jpg

We finished up the climb in the hot afternoon sun and decided on a little break to explore the park. We hand't adjusted to the heat yet and , as we discovered, we wouldn't.
IMG2160-2-XL.jpg

Down there lies what would later be one of the most abusive and energy consuming climbs I have done.

IMG2211-2-XL.jpg

A closer view, it lurks in the woods and shows its mean vertical smile to the river.

IMG2213-2-XL.jpg

Amazing history changing rocks everywhere.

IMG2228-2-XL.jpg

We spent the end of our day climbing Lena's Lieback and a few other routes at Swan Slab. At Swan Slab you are never alone during the day.

IMG2231-2-XL.jpg

IMG2261-2-XL.jpg

Another climb down and just one fall. Not bad for his 3rd week of climbing.

IMG2279-2-XL.jpg

I would spend a few nights at Tunnel View trying to get some good photos. Usually I went to bed to early to get anything amazing. There were plenty of parties taking on El Cap.

IMG2290-2-XL.jpg

To get some more practice on our systems and climbing together as a team we headed over to After Six. We were hoping to do the Royal Arches halfway into the trip so we wanted to make sure we could move fast enough not to overnight. Unless of course we wanted to. For some reason the first pitch of After Six tired me out something fierce. I was having a rough time and placed way to much gear. The rest of the climb was very easy.

IMG2294-2-XL.jpg

IMG2300-2-XL.jpg

Dave did an excellent job of cleaning and didn't get a single piece of my gear stuck to where we couldn't get it out. Working on his muscle stance.

IMG2322-2-XL.jpg

IMG2350-2-XL.jpg

We were not the only ones at the top and I often felt I was being watched.
IMG2373-2-XL.jpg

The upcoming objective.
IMG2374-2-XL.jpg

There were plenty of teams out that day. It was a perfect day to be on the pile as far as weather goes!
IMG2442-2-XL.jpg

IMG2444-2-XL.jpg

Many have now heard about the guy that is missing in Yosemite. He went missing right when we got there and from what I heard he was actually swimming in some upper portion of the falls. Not a good sign. The search went on constantly.

IMG2448-2-XL.jpg

That is one big waterfall.
IMG2470-2-XL.jpg

The sky was amazing!
IMG2501-2-XL.jpg

The wildlife…a little less so.
IMG2514-2-XL.jpg

Washington Column.
IMG2532-2-XL.jpg

North Dome
IMG2534-2-XL.jpg

We got a good nights sleep and decided that it was time to give the Arches a go. By some off chance we got a cancellation in the pines campground so we actually got to sleep in the park that night! It was the only night we would be able to. We woke at 5am and put on Welcome Home by Radical Face as a prep song. Our climbing started sometime around 6. The first few pitches flew by rather quickly after one quick backpack snag.

IMG2571-2-XL.jpg

The morning shade felt great for us Alaskans. And I secretly wished the sun wouldn't come.
IMG2577-2-XL.jpg

We climbed quickly and soon caught up to another party that had slept above the second pitch since they couldn't find a campsite. They were very nice in letting us pass and we cruised up the to the Pendulum. We were both hoping it would be a larger swing but I guess that will have to wait for the King Swing.

Dave nails the grab.

IMG2640-2-XL.jpg

IMG2648-2-XL.jpg

IMG2659-2-XL.jpg

After a nice soaking wet traverse pitch that also was capped by a tree absolutely exploding with ants we continued on our way.

IMG2666-2-2-XL.jpg

IMG2670-2-2-XL.jpg

After a nice reprieve in a protected shade area by a tree we came to the friction traverse. For some reason I had built all these pitches in my mind as being somewhat difficult. It turned out being pretty easy. The only difficulty I really had on the route was where I went into a 5.9 awkward bulge because the 5.7 was wet.

IMG2693-2-XL.jpg

The climb continued without event and we arrived at the 15th pitch. A waterfall kept the 16th from looking appetizing so we rappelled and to be honest I am glad we did. It was actually a pretty enjoyable rappel! Long raps of solid bolts with rings. It was much more exposed then the climb was as well.

After we arrived back on the ground we went right to Curry Village and ate at the buffet. 11 hours of climbing can tire a person out! The next day we took a pilgrimage to the base of El Cap.

IMG2709-2-2-XL.jpg

Its hard to describe something that is intimidating, intoxicating, inticing, and downright scary. Thankfully this guy was able to tell me "what are you afraid of? Just do it!" So I am excited to give it a go!

IMG2714-2-XL.jpg

IMG2727-2-2-XL.jpg

Others had already overcome their fear or insecurities!

IMG2746-2-XL.jpg

Ah the planning process. I really love this part.
IMG2763-2-XL.jpg

We continued on our way and I told Dave "I kind of want to destroy myself a bit. I haven't really climbed anything here that has challenged me since we arrived." So for some sadistic reason I chose to climb Generator Crack. It is a bit odd but I looked at it and actually thought it would be fun. I spent 45 minutes wedged into this crack. The first part that is often called the crux was actually really easy for me. I cruised right through and into the wider areas. That is when it got nasty. Turns out that my chest is to broad to actually chimney until the last 5ft or so. I don't know when others go into the crack but I basically did everything from armbar to lie-back. A few times I looked up and told myself "I'm not going to make it, I actually cant climb this stupid thing." And then I would soon find myself chicken winging back into the crack. I think this may have been one of the hardest single pitch climbs I have ever done. Its not the first off-width for me but I'd call it the meanest. I got my destruction.

IMG2789-2-2-X2.jpg

Dave staring down the Rostrum from the top.

IMG2800-2-2-X2.jpg

IMG2804-2-XL.jpg

More Leaning Tower

IMG2806-2-2-XL.jpg

IMG2829-2-XL.jpg

We climbed by headlamp a few times out at Swan Slab. It was fun the first night but less then enjoyable the second as the bugs kept flying in my face and then a gigantic spider came rushing up my leg as I belayed in shorts and had to swat it off. When he hit the ground it chased after me as I jumped around. I finally apologized to mother nature and vanquished him from this plane of existence. It was a very clear spider. Half dollar size or larger and he looked like a scorpion with regular spider legs.

IMG2872-2-XL.jpg

This was Daves second lead on gear. A short 5.6

IMG2877-2-XL.jpg

On our way out of the park we took the mandatory trip to Glacier Point (almost running out of gas in the process)

IMG2969-2-XL.jpg

Often Yosemite doesn't even look real to me.

IMG2971-2-XL.jpg

IMG2973-2-XL.jpg

IMG2975-2-XL.jpg

Our next plans are to come back down in September and climb Lost Arrow Direct and East Buttress of Middle Cathedral. Time to get training again! What was a huge waterfall on our arrival in the park was merely a trickle by the end of the trip.
IMG2986-2-XL.jpg

IMG2989-2-XL.jpg

IMG3006-2-XL.jpg

Goodbye for now Yosemite! I'll see you again soon. Oh and thanks to anyone who made it this far. That was a lot of photos to look at!
nightlapse1-XL.jpg

Comments

• Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    well done. No way you'd get me on a rock, but I like doing it vicariously. Oh and spider karma will be a bitch! ;)
  • joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Awesome pictures and trip.
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Great series, Prez. You captured a lot of iconic climbing angles and poses.

I don't climb (I can barely climb stairs with my bad knees), but I have got it in my mind to visit Yosemite in 2012. I want to be able to capture the classic Yosemite Valley shot with my own lens.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Mathieu05Mathieu05 Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Certainly a good Trip! love all the images. well done.
    Chris Odchigue | Photography

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Spectacular series. Thanks for taking me along!
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Awesome!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Wonderful!!!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• KatherineCKatherineC Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 28, 2011
    Posted this awesomeness on Facebook. Thanks for sharing! https://www.facebook.com/SmugMug#!/SmugMug/posts/213331925370675
  • ronoggronogg Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 28, 2011
    Great Photo Series thanks for the inspiring pictures.
  • rocky07rocky07 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    gr8 pics
  • SorinSorin Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Are Dave's feet bleeding in "the wildlife" shot?
    "I know you don't understand. Let me show you......"
    My Website
    My 50 f/1.8 lives on my Nikon D80 full time.
    Next Lens: Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
  • Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2011
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2011
    Wow! Great stuff, as always! bowdown.gif
    Chris
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    grand adventure and grand views

could feel the spirit of the place

thanks

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • TEAMKENTEAMKEN Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    I'm tired , just looking at the photos ;)
    Great job..looks like y'all had lots of fun.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Ken
    Canon-Elinchrom-Skyports
  • chris.vultaggiochris.vultaggio Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    Valley shots
    Great job and nice work managing belays and shooting at the same time.

Bishop's is pretty classic, and nice work on royal arches too. Definitely check out the reg route on higher cathedral, awesome photo ops and outside of the killer approach it is a pretty awesome route.

Looks like weather was pretty decent for you guys too - bluebird skies and manageable temps - the valley can be tough this time of year.

nice work...
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2011
    Great Post
    Great post with some lovely images. Yosemite is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever visited...