Options

Meysan Lake, Sierra Nevada

EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited November 28, 2014 in Landscapes
My wife and I took a hike up to Meysan Lake last weekend at the last minute when some other plans fell through. Great day. This is another trail that heads out near Whitney Portal. So close to the Whitney area, but without all the crowds.

(1)

i-2S8g8mN-X2.jpg

(2)

i-K72Sbc9-X2.jpg

(3)

i-PZMVFnp-X2.jpg

(4)

i-kMZbWCd-X2.jpg

(5)

i-s29s7Cf-X2.jpg

We were fortunate enough to see some Big Horn Sheep. Too bad I left my telephoto at home like a dummy. These are from my wife with her G15.

(6)

i-9sQBVTk-X2.jpg

(7)

i-QZMjhsc-X2.jpg

(8)

i-nKXVtnL-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,906 moderator
    edited November 15, 2014
    Very nice spot Evan! Great photos too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2014
    First two caused some palpitations in my heart! I miss climbing! Didn't know there were Big Horn Sheep there! WOW!
    Thanks for sharing these! Total joy!!
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2014
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2014
    vind de eerste de beste qua kleuren en compo.
    grt,boco.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2014
    boco wrote: »
    vind de eerste de beste qua kleuren en compo.
    grt,boco.

Not sure exactly what that means Boco, but it sounds good, hehe! I think I see "best composition" in there, Thanks ;-)
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2014
    Great shots Evan, I particularly like number 1. I have a similar location to this close to me, but I just can't impose the size of the mountain in the way you have. My mountains look like small hills! headscratch.gif Including a person in the shot is probably one thing I need to consider. any other tips?
    Regards,
    Carl

EvanThomas wrote: »
    Not sure exactly what that means Boco, but it sounds good, hehe! I think I see "best composition" in there, Thanks ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2014
    Great shots Evan, I particularly like number 1. I have a similar location to this close to me, but I just can't impose the size of the mountain in the way you have. My mountains look like small hills! headscratch.gif Including a person in the shot is probably one thing I need to consider. any other tips?
    Regards,
    Carl

Thanks!! I have the same problem, but putting somebody in the photo can help. Wish I could offer something more! Just got this new wide-angle I really love for landscape, feel like I can frame any scene. But, it sure makes some features awfully tiny!
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2014
    I'm jealous of your bighorn sheep. Nice shots, even if you didn't have your optimum equipment. I've seen a ton of bighorn wild in the Mojave, which I'd always thought would be difficult, but never any in the Sierra.

Stumblebum wrote: »
    First two caused some palpitations in my heart! I miss climbing! Didn't know there were Big Horn Sheep there!

You should look up the history of Bighorn in the Sierra, it's long and involved and very interesting. Part of that is the idea (although I haven't seen the evidence to back it up), that replacing bighorn with domestic sheep in the high valleys led to the loss of groundcover around the tarns in some of the higher altitude cirques, creating much (or some) of the barren rock valley-scapes we see today.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 27, 2014
    Terrific series. I don't know the portal area very well, although I've been out to Alabama Hills. Definitely going to check this place out. Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2014
    JC wrote: »
    I'm jealous of your bighorn sheep. Nice shots, even if you didn't have your optimum equipment. I've seen a ton of bighorn wild in the Mojave, which I'd always thought would be difficult, but never any in the Sierra.

That's been our experience too JC. Several sightings in our desert wanderings, but took us almost 20 years of avidly exploring the Sierra to finally see the Big Horns there. I've had more mountain lion sightings and those guys are supposed to be very elusive.

I'm still waiting on a Wolverine sighting, but not holding my breath, lol.
    kdog wrote: »
    Terrific series. I don't know the portal area very well, although I've been out to Alabama Hills. Definitely going to check this place out. Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif

Thanks kdog! You won't be disappointed if you go ;-)