Brisbane coverd in pea soup...

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited June 14, 2008 in Landscapes
This doesn't happen very often, Brisbane, covered in fog. You can just see the tops of the two tallest towers. So rare that it has in fact been on the news twice this week, this is normally a very, very dry place, especially in winter.

From Mt Coot-tha:

312027138_usbDG-XL.jpg

I have some more RAW files but didn't have time to work them up before work... this is just a quickie. For reference, this is more what it normally looks like (in very quick snapshot form):

207815526_uUkdJ-S.jpg
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 12, 2008
    a movie?
    On the drive up the hill, I realized I had my G9 as well... so while I was clicking away with my 30D and big glass, I propped the G9 up on a fence post and put it in time lapse movie mode. The quality isn't there, but the effect of the rising sun and swirling clouds is pretty darn cool. I'm not sure what I like better, this movie or my carefully composed photos!

Enjoy:
    (this spans about 25 minutes, frames taken at 2-second intervals. I love the G9)

Erik

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Wow!

and...

Wow!!

Pea soup, seriously. I love the buildings poking through the far end, and in the movie it looks like the fog is hitting it and making a bunch of swirlies. :oogle

Even if this was normal for Brisbane in winter I'd still be stunned by the beauty.

So how much hiking did you have to do to get this spot? Looks like it is the perfect vantage point. thumb.gif
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    You bastard !! I was so much wanting to get up there this morning but we were on strike so other matters got in the way of going up the mountain.

Bloody great photo !!
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Super awesomelytastic photo! clap.gif Just beautiful.

And that movie is too cool. Hypnotizing swirlies... :oogle
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    wild soup there you have.mwink.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Wow, great stuff, both the video and the shot!

clap.gifclap.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Wow!!! Both the image and the video are awesome!!! I'm glad the video was short....it almost gave me motion sickness to go through it twice! lol3.gif I would have loved to have been there....
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Hmm, seeing that time lapse video makes me wish I could get a timer attachment for my Xti. I'm pictureing something where I could set how often I wanted it to take a picture, then I could just wait!

EDIT: Well, I guess there is: http://www.pclix.com/pages/pclix_main.html The main issue being that it costs $140! Ouch!
    edited June 13, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    So how much hiking did you have to do to get this spot? Looks like it is the perfect vantage point. thumb.gif
    Thanks schmoo :D

Hiking? I walked about 50m from the carpark to the lookout... lol3.gif (this was a quickie outing, had to get to work afterwards). We do hike there quite a bit as it's a state park and there are tracks all over the mountain, but the summit is a fully developed tourist spot complete w/restaurant and cafe and there is a nice "tourist drive" all the way up and around.

Everyone - thanks so much! Nice to take a photo again, its literally been months since I took the 30D out.
    Erik

edited June 13, 2008
    gus wrote:
    You bastard !! I was so much wanting to get up there this morning but we were on strike so other matters got in the way of going up the mountain.

Bloody great photo !!
    Ta mate. I was actually surprised I didn't see you up there, early morning being your favorite time of day. I had seen the view from the news helicopter the morning before and figured I had to have a go.

There was a small photog army up there with 1D's and D3's, white lenses and their Land Rovers. Actually so many that the balcony was packed. I setup down on the grass one tier below them and next to the cafe, still worked out ok.
    Erik

edited June 13, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Hmm, seeing that time lapse video makes me wish I could get a timer attachment for my Xti. I'm pictureing something where I could set how often I wanted it to take a picture, then I could just wait!
    My D2h had that setting built in. You could set it anywhere from 1 second to minutes (I think) and it would keep snapping as long as the battery lived.
    Erik

edited June 13, 2008
    So as mentioned, here's a couple more that I had time to process last night after work. I should mention how mad I am that the first several photos were stuck on ISO400. Compared to this photo below, you can definitely see some noise in the first one. Oh well, guess that comes with not shooting for weeks! This one was a bit later on, the fog was already receding slightly and you can see three buildings now.

312347843_YZoxC-XL.jpg

And a scene with the wide lens taking in the gorgeous blue sky above the soupy ceiling

312347362_dyHhv-XL.jpg

And by the way, no more soup, not a speck of cloud in the sky this am, it's Brisbane again!
    Erik

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Very cool, Erik! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Great pHOTO AND VIDEO !!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited June 13, 2008
    We get that all the time in the Bay Area. Never ceases to amaze me.

Beautiful. Just beautiful.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 13, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Great series.....but the video....is just a black rectangle....I have Macro-flash up to date .....any ideas of why I can't see video.....yeah XP pro....browsers are FF and Safari.....works in nether
    they sometimes take a second longer to load, otherwise, no idea what you've done. head over to the video forum and see if its other people's videos or just mine (there's plenty of them there).
    Erik

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I have some more RAW files but didn't have time to work them up before work... this is just a quickie. For reference, this is more what it normally looks like (in very quick snapshot form):

207815526_uUkdJ-S.jpg
    Eeww! I see specklies :smack:D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    :jawdrop

Wow, seriously cool Erik clap.gifclap

Charlie
    edited June 13, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

312347843_YZoxC-XL.jpg
    I like this one better. Ive been waiting for ages for some fog. We usually only get 2 or 3 days a year but they recon we will get more next month (how they know that i dont know). I will def be there next time. I was seriously pre-occupied yesterday morning & no way could i make it even though i knew it was going to be on.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    they sometimes take a second longer to load, otherwise, no idea what you've done. head over to the video forum and see if its other people's videos or just mine (there's plenty of them there).

Seems that even tho I have Macromedia player 8....I needed some dang plugin from adobe........................ flash player 9. something something soemthing....it works great now....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited June 13, 2008
    Cool shots, Erik.

The video capability of the G9 is cool also, isn't it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 13, 2008
    gus wrote:
    I like this one better.
    thanks, me too thumb.gif

pathfinder wrote:
    The video capability of the G9 is cool also, isn't it?
    Thanks! And nod.gif the little G9 is fantastic. I had no idea it had so many sub-modes under the movie option on the dial.
    Erik

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Very cool stuff - the movie must be especially interesting to a fluids guy like yourself! thumb.gif
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Just beautiful shots! I'd have to say that the first shot in your later post is my favourite, I like seeing a little more detail in the buildings swirling in the fog, helps you to understand what you're looking at.
    Rhuarc wrote:

EDIT: Well, I guess there is: http://www.pclix.com/pages/pclix_main.html The main issue being that it costs $140! Ouch!
    There's a certain gigantic online auction site that has some more or less equivalent remotes for significantly less. I've got a "phottix" timer remote c3 (for my 40d), and while I haven't had much opportunity to use it, it has 99% of the features of this one and is extremely cheap by comparison. Quality is also surprisingly good for the price.
  • timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Cool vid!
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
    edited June 14, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Very cool stuff - the movie must be especially interesting to a fluids guy like yourself! thumb.gif
    nod.gif

Thanks for noticing! I was gonna tell Schmoo that they're in fact vortices and eddies rather than swirlies, but thought I'd leave the nerdiness in the lab.
    lol3.gif
    Erik

edited June 14, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    nod.gif
    that they're in fact vortices and eddies rather than swirlies,
    lol3.gif
    :nono vortici
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited June 14, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    nod.gif

Thanks for noticing! I was gonna tell Schmoo that they're in fact vortices and eddies rather than swirlies, but thought I'd leave the nerdiness in the lab.
    lol3.gif
    Swirly works. Next time you're giving a talk, try it thumb.gif

For good measure, toss in a "thinga-ma-jig" when referring to some important
    piece of equipment lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?