Valkyrie adventure to Colorado 2006

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited August 25, 2006 in Journeys
To start: We left Minneapolis on July 5th heading to Rapid City, SD. From there after a visit with Lori's sister for a day, we headed down through Nebraska then on to Denver. Denver was engulfed with rain for the duration of our stay for 2 days. On Sunday, the 9th, we met up with 2 other Valkyrie riders (planned ahead of time) and headed to Pueblo, Colorado for the night's stay. This is where the journey really begins...

The Ride

89694498-M.jpg

We rode through some of the toughest rain we've encountered on the way to Pueblo. Tornado touchdowns, interstate washouts, the works. We finally made it to the motel just before they closed I-25..phew. The storm was lightening up a bit...here's out the motel room as we were drying out all we owned.

89696491-M.jpg

Monday morning we (3 bikes-5 people) left for Taos, NM and to our final destination of Pegosa Springs, CO. Here are some shots along the way to Taos.

89699601-M.jpg

Lori (wife) took these:

89699602-M.jpg

over the left shoulder:

88374284-M.jpg

Made it to Taos, NM (sorry no pics..was in a hurry) ate lunch, came out of the cafe and a big storm was just about on us...we got out of town pronto. Then we hung a left, went up the road a ways and bam....this cool place.

The Rio Grande Gorge

89699604-L.jpg

Here's the storm we ran away from:

89699605-L.jpg

After taking lots of pics and walking around, we headed out and rode for quite sometime. We went over several medium valleys and passes. I got ahead of the other 2 bikes and pulled in a wayside rest to wait for them.

89703010-M.jpg

A shot overlooking that area:

89703011-L.jpg

and another

89703012-L.jpg

We finally made it to Pegosa Springs, somewhat tired and ready to get to my buddy's brother's home up in the hills. He built a log cabin (more like a luxury resort) on the side of a mountain. The living room sits at 7550 feet above sea level. Here's a pic from his front porch:

88379881-L.jpg

As we chilled out that evening I took one more shot worthy of showing:

88374286-L.jpg

The next day is a new series of pictures as we stayed the day (Tuesday) and went into Wolf Creek Pass (Platoro area) on ATV's.....oh was that fun!

TO BE CONTINUED..........
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Wow, what a great roadtrip!

Loved living in Colorado, love even more to get back. Great pics, thanks for sharing.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    The Next Day...Wolf Creek Pass
    I got up quite early that morning as I was jazzed and ready to go. Hey, it's not everyday one gets to go on atv's in a mountain pass. As I was out by the garage the moon was high above the mountain tops so I ran in to get the camera. By the time I returned, literally in about 2 minutes, the moon was almost behind the hill.

89848098-L.jpg

We had loaded the ATV's the night before. Here we are ready to unload after a 20 mile drive.

89910422-M.jpg

Some of the paths were quite narrow with deep ruts. Those machines are incredible.

89910423-L.jpg

Now the fun begins

89910424-L.jpg

It seemed at every turn there was a photo opportunitiy. The leader was ok stopping here and there and a few times had to come back to make sure I hadn't run off a cliff. I was simply taking pictures.

88408017-L.jpg

We got off the main trail and climbed to a summit that was 12,512 feet above sea level. Absolutely majestic view from there. Here's one of many..

88367407-L.jpg

We passed this cool place the ranger's take care of and you can rent it for $20.00 per night. Now mind you, this is seriously in the middle of nowhere. We were deep in about 20 miles at this point. Elwood Cabin.

89914392-L.jpg

Another place along the way that day. My attempt at a 3 frame Pana. I had no tripod.

89837897-L.jpg

We were getting low on gas at this point, and the leader was in a bit of a hurry. The leader was really my buddy's 16 year old son who stays in Pegosa Springs with his uncle for the summer. We passed this cool place on the way to a resort (which had no gas btw) and then passed it again on the way back. I was kickinng myself for not taking this shot, so I went back by myself, risking the chance of getting lost. I'm here, so all is well..Laughing.gif

88412366-L.jpg

Once catching up to the other 3 atv's all was well but had to stop again because I couldn't pass this shot.

88406727-L.jpg

It was clouding up here and there as to be expected. We went 62 miles that day on ATV's. My shoulders were sore that evening. Here's a stream close to where we began the day's journey.

89368714-L.jpg

And here's me.

89914391-L.jpg

The next day we meet up with the posse from Louisianna, Texas, California, Arizona, and British Columbia of all places. We were on our way to Frisco, Colorado for the Annual Valkyrie Rider's World Summit. 633 registrants, 537 Valkyrie motorcycles in one town. More to come.........
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Some great scenery there.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    On the way to Frisco, Colorado
    The next morning we met up with 9 others (bikes) in Pegosa Springs for breakfast. Then we followed our day's leader, who goes by the handle of Texas Ranger. We stopped at the Continental Divide (one of many) and took some pics.

Here's the Posse

90272690-M.jpg

Lori & I at the Continental Divide

90272689-M.jpg

We stopped at on old miner town. Crede, Colorado

88370184-L.jpg

Then traveling up the road a ways we stopped here for some scenery...

88367406-L.jpg

Then off to the headwaters of the Rio Grande

88422256-L.jpg

Shortly after this place.....we all stopped again...in the middle of nowhere and our leader directed the posse to see this...

90272871-L.jpg

We ended that day at our destination, Frisco, Colorado. What a beautiful place. We went over numerous mountain passes, some a bit scarry on a motorcycle (no guard rails..eeek) and had many views of spectacular scenery. Unfortunately, there was no way to stop the bike and take shots...drat! Here's Frisco....

90274442-L.jpg

We checked into our motel and I ran across the street to the Holiday Inn where the rally vendors set up.

90274443-L.jpg

The following days to be continued..................Thanks for viewing :):
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited August 25, 2006
    I just got back from CO a month ago. Boy, this brings back some sweet
    memories!

Thanks for sharing and hope you enjoyed the journey!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?