David Jay, SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

Comments

• davidjaydavidjay Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Welcome, so awesome! wings.gif :smo

I hope we've given you that warm and fuzzy welcome-feeling lol3.gif

Our wedding forums is relatively new, but it's also growing ridiculously fast with some very good stuff!
    You sure have! :feelgood This place is wonderful!

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

"A true measure of your worth includes all the benefits others have gained from your success."
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    Welcome David Jay!

Now I am wondering if your presence is what helped for weddings to have it's own main category instead of being hidden under "people" category:D
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
    edited December 20, 2008
    davidjay,

What got you into photography, let alone wedding photography? And where do you see this field/industry going in the next couple years?

It's gonna be so cool that you are here with us! Come to NJ sometime!
    Hey Ted! I actually got forced into it! lol ... my senior year in high school the school guidance counselor told me I had to take an art class in order to graduate. I hated art and I even remember saying "art kids are weird" lol... but I quickly fell in love with photography (and became weird too) ;)

Wedding photography was a similar story - the school I went to didn't have a photo program and so there weren't many people interested into photography but I was living and breathing it through college and so some of my friends asked me to shoot their weddings - often for free - or a couple hundred bucks - but I got more and more stoked on wedding photography because of the freedom it (can) bring.

In the next couple of years I think we're going to continue to see a lot of people enter into wedding photography for many reasons but we're also going to see an increase in the amount of weddings as the echo boomers (baby boomers kids) get married. As there is less opportunities for credit I think we'll see couples spending less and looking for more ways to save by doing things themselves or having friends help out. This doesn't need to be perceived as a negative thing but I do think we need to alter our expectations which have gotten bloated in the past couple of years and focus more on our clients needs and desires and less on what we want to produce. Again, these are just my thoughts. Nobody knows exactly what will happen but what I do know is that in just about every industry there will be lots of opportunities for people to make a big impact very quickly which is exciting.

:)

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

"A true measure of your worth includes all the benefits others have gained from your success."
    edited December 20, 2008
    Welcome David Jay!

Now I am wondering if your presence is what helped for weddings to have it's own main category instead of being hidden under "people" category:D
    Hey Sheri :) I know SmugMug has really been watching and looking for ways to help build the wedding community so I think this is just the beginning...and I love beginnings!

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

• sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    That is awesome..... I am all about weddings:D
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Wonderful that you are here David! Thanks so much for being a part of this forum. I look forward to hearing you tips and insights. Your presence will certainly inspire growth in this little corner of dgrin.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Hi David! I know I'm a little late to the party here, but I wanted to offer you a HUGE Welcome! We are so thrilled you're here and your work is truly amazing! clap.gifiloveyou.gif

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    So I know that blogs lately are all the rage for photographers...do you have a blog we can all follow to see your latest work as you post it?
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Hey there... :D

Welcome! clap.gif
    edited December 22, 2008
    mmmatt wrote:
    Wonderful that you are here David! Thanks so much for being a part of this forum. I look forward to hearing you tips and insights. Your presence will certainly inspire growth in this little corner of dgrin.

Matt
    Sweet! Thanks Matt! Let me know how I can help

Emily wrote:
    Hi David! I know I'm a little late to the party here, but I wanted to offer you a HUGE Welcome! We are so thrilled you're here and your work is truly amazing!

Emily
    :D I'm thrilled too! This place is great and I'm excited!

Shima wrote:
    So I know that blogs lately are all the rage for photographers...do you have a blog we can all follow to see your latest work as you post it?
    You bet! You can view it by going to my website and clicking on the little blog link on the top right and it'll appear right there for you or you can go directly to it by clicking on www.opensourcephoto.net.

My personal opinion is that most photographers waste them by simply posting their pictures on there. I've found blogs and websites to be most successful when they show more of a balance with personality and portfolio so you'll see A LOT of ME on my blog and on my website.

One of my favorite authors for marketing books is Harry Beckwith and he says in his book. What Clients Love, "People don't pay you for how good you are at what you do - they pay you for how good you are at who you are." Isn't that true! thumb.gif So we need to be showing people this on our websites.

Happy Monday!
    DJ

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    davidjay wrote:
    My personal opinion is that most photographers waste them by simply posting their pictures on there. I've found blogs and websites to be most successful when they show more of a balance with personality and portfolio so you'll see A LOT of ME on my blog and on my website.

One of my favorite authors for marketing books is Harry Beckwith and he says in his book. What Clients Love, "People don't pay you for how good you are at what you do - they pay you for how good you are at who you are." Isn't that true! thumb.gif So we need to be showing people this on our websites.

Happy Monday!
    DJ

I agree. I had one couple, specifically the groom, tell me he really had been excited about working with me after reading my enthusiasm about some new equipment I had purchased and how I was pleased with the results it was giving me. My enthusiasm about my equipment grabbed at him and made him feel like I was that much better, despite the actual photos themselves, it was my passion that drew him in.

So yeah personality on the blog / site, I couldn't agree more!
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    DJ~

Welcome...You got one hell of a Website there!! Cheers, tomthumb.gif
    tom wise
    edited December 24, 2008
    angevin1 wrote:
    DJ~

Welcome...You got one hell of a Website there!! Cheers, tomthumb.gif
    Hey thanks Tom! I actually made it myself with Showit Sites. In full disclosure Showit is my company.thumb.gif and we just created the first program to allow photographers to create their own totally unique flash websites. Check it out.

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

• PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Welcome in davidjay. I love what smugmug does with the Artists in Residence and they always seem to get such amazing photographers!

The great thing about you coming to the forum is that your adding to what was already an amazing group of photographers!

Thank you!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2008
    Welcome David! Great to have you here. thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • JuliaJulia Registered Users Posts: 157 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    This is such exciting, wonderful news! I feel as if I "know" you David, from hearing all about you from my fabulous Connecticut network friends over the years. :D I'm such a die-hard SmugMugger... it's so great to have you on board as an Artist-in-Residence! clap.gif

Your stuff is inspiring as always.

Julia
  • LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Cool to have David here! I will have to say that showit sites absolutely rocks!
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Welcome David! thats a pretty sweet company/website you got going on.
    Jer
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Welcome David! Your company is appreciated!
    Growing with Dgrin

• ScottoScotto Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Just spent the past 30 or so minutes on your site David - WOW !!!

Seriously, watching the videos the hairs on my neck stood up, absolutely amazing stuff
    My SmugMug | Follow me on Twitter | iChat: ScottMacUser
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Scotto wrote:

Seriously, watching the videos the hairs on my neck stood up, absolutely amazing stuff

Me too, the Freedom message really speaks to people I think.
    Jer
  • jeffsanjuanjeffsanjuan Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    . . . .
    . . . idea well executed!
    ..:: cut from a different cloth ::..

..:: 5ive Star Studios ::..

40D Gripped | 40D back-up | 580ex II | 580ex II back-up | 24-70mm 2.8L | 70-200mm 2.8L IS | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 50mm f/1.4
    edited January 4, 2009
    Scotto wrote:

Dude thanks so much! You started off my week with a big smile! :D

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

• ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Ok, David, you rock. bowdown.gif
    My husband and I just spent a good chunk of our evening going through your site, specifically your wedding section. We were both so inspired! Your use of the video camera capturing the day as you see it is an awesome idea. My husband, who acts as my assistant during shoots, asked me if he should be videotaping me. It's a very catchy technique! Heck, if we weren't married yet, I'd be begging for you to be our photographer! :D

Since I love goodies, I'd love to hear what lenses you use sometime. I'm sure your glass is worth more than my junky car, but a girl can dream, right?
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Jason LackeyJason Lackey Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2009
    Yeah! SmugMug is awesome! I can't wait to meet all of you guys :D

So stoked to have another forum to hang out in.
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2009
    I've been a fan of DJ's for a while now. Welcome aboard! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2009
    Welcome, from the South OC gang!
    DJ, I'm bummed that I didn't hear about your little Smugmug GTG for wedding photographers, I would have loved to come!

Okay I don't claim to be "big" in the industry of course but I've been around for a while and mostly follow the crowd... (Shooting at the Salton Sea this Tuesday, woohoo!)

(For anyone who is looking to get into wedding photography and wants to learn about the BUSINESS side of things, check out Becker's school website, it is awesome.)

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing Smugmug dedicate some resources to wedding photographers and professionals in general!

Peace out. Oh BTW, shot a wedding in SB just yesterday, actually. Assisted Eric Farewell. Sunset photo shoot was NUTS...

=Matt=

470237651_uWsne-O.jpg

[edit] Hey, Jason Lackey is here too! Good to see you Jason! Remember this?

346947115_egCtJ-O.jpg

346947082_gdEpX-O.jpg
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    Welcome David!!!

Just spent some time checking out your website, your work is amazing, really looking forward to your insight.

There was a smugmug GTG for wedding photographers and I missed it??????? :((
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Kellyk126Kellyk126 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Amazing photographs, you are VERY inspiring!! I just spent... well too much time at work checking out your website.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious. :wink
  • bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2009
    Question of time
    David, how much time do you typically spend with a bride and groom?
This discussion has been closed.