Options

Blood moon

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
edited April 19, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
I stayed up last night to shoot the eclipse. It was difficult! I need guidance on how to do this properly. The pic is at high ISO and therefore noisy and soft, if I used a lower ISO I got motion blur due to the low speed I needed to use. I had OK results of the non-eclipsed moon at ISO 100, f8 and 1/200, but once the eclipse was complete it was another story. Anyway, here it is:

cz_2014_0090-56-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2014
    I don't know if it helps any, but I shot this same night with a 300mm zoom. I used 1.6 sec , f/ 5.6, ISO 1600. I did get just a touch of grain in the black areas, but the moon stayed fairly crisp. I used a custom scene mode, which was sharpened just a bit. I like to add that for a little extra pop.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2014
    Thanks for the tip. Next Eclipse is in October!
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2014
    I don't know if it helps any, but I shot this same night with a 300mm zoom. I used 1.6 sec , f/ 5.6, ISO 1600. I did get just a touch of grain in the black areas, but the moon stayed fairly crisp. I used a custom scene mode, which was sharpened just a bit. I like to add that for a little extra pop.

1.6 sec seems pretty long for a moving subject.

Personally I wouldn't go near that

Actually I was corrected once, the moon isn't moving, we are
    Rags
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2014
    torags wrote: »
    1.6 sec seems pretty long for a moving subject.

Personally I wouldn't go near that

Actually I was corrected once, the moon isn't moving, we are

I agree it sounds long, but worth exploring anyway.

Aren't we both moving, the moon around us, us around the sun and both around our respective axes?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited April 19, 2014
    Juano wrote: »
    Aren't we both moving, the moon around us, us around the sun and both around our respective axes?
    Yes, and if you include rotation and motion of our galaxy and the expansion of our universe, it gets even more complicated mwink.gif. But the only one that matters is the rotation of the earth on its axis, which is what creates the apparent rising and setting of the sun, moon and stars.

This is nicely exposed and has fine color. I like the presence of the two stars. It looks like you may have some color noise in the black sky though. Should be pretty easy to fix.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2014
    Good work Cristóbal - I like the composition!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2014
    Richard wrote: »
    Yes, and if you include rotation and motion of our galaxy and the expansion of our universe, it gets even more complicated mwink.gif. But the only one that matters is the rotation of the earth on its axis, which is what creates the apparent rising and setting of the sun, moon and stars.

This is nicely exposed and has fine color. I like the presence of the two stars. It looks like you may have some color noise in the black sky though. Should be pretty easy to fix.

thanks for your galactic comment, I will try to play with this shot again and see if I can come up with a better result.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2014
    Thanks Eric, it was a fantastic spectacle. Did you get a chance to see it?
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2014
    Juano wrote: »
    ....Did you get a chance to see it?
    Alas, no - I was in coastal, Central California and it was socked-in.
    I'll aim for the next one.
    Eric ~ Smugmug