Glass in the Desert

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited April 10, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
Recently experienced the Chihuly exhibit in the desert. Wow...his work is amazing. I didn't know if tripods were allowed so these are handheld and just a few of what I saw. I only had one lens too and so I couldn't get some of the whole glass in frame. If I backed away it became too dark. (ISO was all over the place) These photos do not do the glass artwork justice but anyway - great memories.

DSC_1226d-XL.jpg

DSC_1440b-XL.jpg

DSC_1492c-XL.jpg

DSC_1510a-XL.jpg

DSC_1498a-XL.jpg

DSC_1220b-XL.jpg

DSC_1229c-XL.jpg

DSC_1338b-XL.jpg

The moon was full but without sticks I could no way capture both exposures - a composite

DSC_1271b-XL.jpg

DSC_1474b-XL.jpg

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2014
    Great stuff! I am guessing super pricey......Cheers!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2014
    Dale Chihuly's work is impressive, to say the least. I once had the privilege of having a conversation with him. He's quite a character....accomplished in many, many ways.

A car accident blinded him in one eye. A subsequent water-sports accident precluded him from personally blowing glass again. He then staffed-up with a cadre of talented associates that have, for years, actually handled the production for him...under his strict guidance. By his own terms, he is now more of a choreographer than a dancer, more of director than an actor.

It is very much his visions that dictate what comes out of his studios.

Good job, Eia, under less than ideal conditions. thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2014
    Great subject and very well done images AnnaMaria - love #7 clap.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 8, 2014
    Dale Chihuly's work is impressive, to say the least. I once had the privilege of having a conversation with him. He's quite a character....accomplished in many, many ways.

A car accident blinded him in one eye. A subsequent water-sports accident precluded him from personally blowing glass again. He then staffed-up with a cadre of talented associates that have, for years, actually handled the production for him...under his strict guidance. By his own terms, he is now more of a choreographer than a dancer, more of director than an actor.

It is very much his visions that dictate what comes out of his studios.

Good job, Eia, under less than ideal conditions. thumb.gif

Tom

I met one of his 'dancers at the Crucible Cafe in Seattle many years ago. He was sculpting life sized glass human figures. I would enjoy meeting Chihuly. He's done some very cool installations. The Monterey Bay Aquarium featured some of his work. You can find many public installations too.

There was a great public TV special too. Amazing man. Amazing pictures.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2014
    EXCELLENT!!!!

Sam
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 8, 2014
    Hey, how about a warning next time? That first one exploded in my face and almost put an eye out! :wow

Super job on these, Eia. bowdown.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 9, 2014
    He has an installation on some cruise ship. Not that the cruise ships see heavy seas but the work installed there is an amazing chandelier.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2014
    Love his stuff and you did a great job with it

#1 explodes and the delicacy of #2.... ahhh... All well done
    Rags
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2014
    Always a pleasure to see Dale Chihuly stuff. thumb.gif

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2014
    Impressive work, but I'm just as amazed at how these fragile works can be shipped all across the nation, and not arrive as crushed glass ne_nau.gif

Obviously not shipped UPS, FedEx, nor USPS rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2014
    I think this is my favorite. I tried to get detail in the glass. Just amazing.

DSC_1235b-XL.jpg