Publish to Facebook - Beta 2. Now with Pages!

Comments

• truviztruviz Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 24, 2011
    truviz wrote: »
    Ding! Ding! Ding! I finally found a combination that works. It seems that when logging into smugmug, having the login linked to facebook account option was throwing things off. These steps worked for me:

1) in smugmug social account, remove facebook app

2) in facebook, remove smugmug app

3) close all safari windows, empty cache, restart safari

4) relogin to smug mug BUT DO NOT USE THE LINK TO FACEBOOK ACCOUNT OPTION

5) go to a photo in album, choose publish to facebook. little blue facebook button appears, but this time it actually works and brings up an authentication screen.

New system seems good, looking forward to experimenting with it!

Argh!! It just stopped working right after I went back to it. The first post to facebook worked great. Now it gets me to the "Before we can begin, you need to connect with Facebook and grant us..." screen, but there is not even a non-functional blue button to press, just blank beneath the text...
  • truviztruviz Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 24, 2011
    truviz wrote: »
    Argh!! It just stopped working right after I went back to it. The first post to facebook worked great. Now it gets me to the "Before we can begin, you need to connect with Facebook and grant us..." screen, but there is not even a non-functional blue button to press, just blank beneath the text...

OK, I got it to start working again by deleting the smugmug app from facebook and starting over.
  • scotticusscotticus Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    So for those of you experiencing this issue, do you/have you used Facebook for logging in, and/or Be Social? And if so did you experience the same problems there? Bugs that you can't reproduce are the worst to try and track down, so any information is awesome.

Thanks,
    Scott.
  • PeacePeace Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2011

1) in smugmug social account, remove facebook app

2) in facebook, remove smugmug app

3) close all safari windows, empty cache, restart safari

4) relogin to smug mug BUT DO NOT USE THE LINK TO FACEBOOK ACCOUNT OPTION

5) go to a photo in album, choose publish to facebook. little blue facebook button appears, but this time it actually works and brings up an authentication screen.

New system seems good, looking forward to experimenting with it!

This worked for me. Thanks.
    Equipment Canon 60D | Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 | 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM| 100mm f/2.8 EF USM Macro |70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro| 430EX II
    Sam Fowler | Photography
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    scotticus wrote: »
    So for those of you experiencing this issue, do you/have you used Facebook for logging in, and/or Be Social? And if so did you experience the same problems there? Bugs that you can't reproduce are the worst to try and track down, so any information is awesome.

Thanks,
    Scott.
    when it did not work for me I could use the be social and post to my wall with no problem.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • 2HeartsPhoto2HeartsPhoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 24, 2011
    Will someone from SmugMug please post a Release Note when this log-in issue is repaired. I'm a professional photographer - I have no interest in clearing cache, etc.
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    Will someone from SmugMug please post a Release Note when this log-in issue is repaired. I'm a professional photographer - I have no interest in clearing cache, etc.

It works just fine doing those couple of steps.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • cal_geckocal_gecko Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    SO happy that you guys incorporated the ability to share to a FB page!! This is HUGE!! So many of us market our businesses on our FB Pages, and this is such a useful addition to our Smugmug galleries!!

THANK YOU to everyone involved in this new feature!!!!
    clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkIII
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
    Canon 17-40 f/4L
    Sennheiser MKE400 shotgun Mic
  • bipockbipock Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Does the Publish feature carry over the watermarking if we have SmugMug apply it when we upload new files?
  • MSkaffariMSkaffari Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    bipock wrote: »
    Does the Publish feature carry over the watermarking if we have SmugMug apply it when we upload new files?

Yes, if the images have watermarks they will be preserved when publishing to Facebook.
  • GregVGregV Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    I had the same problem where the facebook button did nothing. I deleted my facebook from Social Apps, and deleted SmugMug from facebook. Logged back into my website and all works as expected.
    Greg V
    ...still figurin' it all out...

Greg Vogel Photography
  • graffitimagerygraffitimagery Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 26, 2011
    This is a MILLION times HUGE!! The log in to FB button didnt' work for me yesterday but I got it working to day and published an album, with BUY links to my FB Page in seconds!! Unbelievable how easy it was and will save so much time for me when travel blogging!! Thank you Smug Mug!!!!

cal_gecko wrote: »
    SO happy that you guys incorporated the ability to share to a FB page!! This is HUGE!! So many of us market our businesses on our FB Pages, and this is such a useful addition to our Smugmug galleries!!

THANK YOU to everyone involved in this new feature!!!!
    clap.gif
  • mylogonmylogon Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    MSkaffari wrote: »
    Yes, if the images have watermarks they will be preserved when publishing to Facebook.

No, they lose the horizontal watermark and keep the vertical on every picture I have tried (over 100.)
  • mylogonmylogon Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    I also have the same problem as many -the Publish button shows up sometimes, sometimes not. No matter what browser.
  • ightenhillightenhill Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2011
    Has this fixed the problem that it publishes to facebook but leaves it open to all friends to view on your page rather than following your "except" rules set in facebook
  • dvaughndvaughn Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2011
    Created album but didn't publish photos
    I have tried this twice and get completely through the process, then I get the message that an email will be sent when the photos are published. Then nothing else. Looked on facebook and the album was created but it doesn't have any of the photos.

UPDATE: Checked one last time before logging off and the photos are published complete with a BUY THIS PHOTO link and all. The watermarks all were in place also.
    Never dwell on the past or dread the future, live life in the present, it's better that way.
    edited October 27, 2011
    mylogon, can you either post here or PM an example of where this is happening. Ideally the Facebook Photo, and the SmugMug one so I can see what's going on.

Thanks,
    Scott.

mylogon wrote: »
    No, they lose the horizontal watermark and keep the vertical on every picture I have tried (over 100.)
  • sarahcsarahc Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 27, 2011
    I'm at the "Publish to Facebook" page on SmugMug. I click on publish to "A Facebook Page Album." Then I get "Please pick a page to work with." When I click on the drop down menu, there are no albums listed. I just have an option marked as "x." I've sent an e-mail to SmugMug and they didn't have a fix; they said they'd pass it on to the testing team. Any input here on how to fix this? Thanks.
    http://sarahfarmer.smugmug.com/

Figured it out: I had to select "post to a personal page" instead of a FB page album. They are uploading now.
  • J. Pollack PhotographyJ. Pollack Photography Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 27, 2011
    What a great feature! There are a few things that I'd like to see:
    1. A custom watermark for photos shared on FB. I don't typically watermark on SmugMug, but I always add a watermark before exporting on my machine and then sharing on FB.
    2. Metadata filtering to select photos from a gallery to share (e.g. by rating, IPTC metadata, date, etc.). That would make it much easier to go through 300 photos to select 5 to share.
    Keep up the good work!

Jonathan
    J. Pollack Photography
  • lampielampie Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 28, 2011
    problem sharing
    Hi all,
    Just tried to publish to FB and I after clicking on share to FB I get the error message, you are not the owner of this album. But I am!!
    Any ideas?
    Kind regards
    Florian
    edited October 28, 2011
    Facebook Login Button Fixed?
    I think we may have fixed the issue with the blue facebook login button not working. Can anyone who had that problem please try again and let me know if it works for you now?

Thanks,
    Scott.
    edited October 28, 2011
    Lampie, can you either PM me or post a link to the gallery you're having the problem in.

Thanks,
    Scott.

lampie wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just tried to publish to FB and I after clicking on share to FB I get the error message, you are not the owner of this album. But I am!!
    Any ideas?
    Kind regards
    Florian
  • jtrefjtref Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2011
    Love this new feature - been using it a lot over the past couple days.

You can see the results here:
    http://facebook.com/JoshTrefethenPhotography

A couple ideas regarding usability -

Would be nice to have it default to the last page you used...so you don;t have to select it each and every time.

And, after posting a few images here and there, I can really see the need to have it remember your last publish settings as a default (size, link type, etc) - this would save me sooo many clicks!

thoughts?

Regards,

-Josh

http://JoshTrefethen.com
    http://facebook.com/JoshTrefethenPhotography
  • fauxtoefauxtoe Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2011
    Hi Heros!

I am sure you have already heard about this but thought I'd share...

When using the share to FB piece of the last feature addition - You cannot be logged into your FB using your FB Fan Page. You must be logged into your personal
    account in order for the site to authenticate you.

I trouble shot it and after a couple of attempts to figure it out before emailing you - this is what I came up with :)
  • photo_momphoto_mom Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2011
    Well thought out and intuitive...
    The Facebook publish option is very cool. However, the Xlarge picture isn't as big as what you get when you load directly to Facebook. That's the only drawback I see so far. It is going to be very slick to not have to post to both places - save a lot of time. The link on FB back to your gallery is a nice touch as well.
  • TomCollinsTomCollins Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2011
    Help with the Share button
    I'm excited about the publish to facebook feature but I'm having a little trouble getting it to work. I'm sure I'm missing a step somewhere but any help would be appreciated.

I've done the "join" feature but when I go to any of my galleries and then go to "share", there is no "publish to facebook" option under my "owner only" option.

I should note that I re-started my browser after "joining" the facebook feature in "darkroom" but still no option to publish to facebook.

Thanks so much for the help and for this feature.

Tom Collins
    Tom C
    www.tomcollinsphotography.com
    “Art allows us to expand the dimensions of our everyday life.”
    ~Carlos Jurado
  • TomCollinsTomCollins Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2011
    Thanks, but I got it!
    TomCollins wrote: »
    I'm excited about the publish to facebook feature but I'm having a little trouble getting it to work. I'm sure I'm missing a step somewhere but any help would be appreciated.

I've done the "join" feature but when I go to any of my galleries and then go to "share", there is no "publish to facebook" option under my "owner only" option.

I should note that I re-started my browser after "joining" the facebook feature in "darkroom" but still no option to publish to facebook.

Thanks so much for the help and for this feature.

Tom Collins

Just wanted to say I figured out my problem. What it was, for anyone else having the same problem, I have a custom URL and I did not surf to my URL with a back slash /goodies at the end. That step turned on the "publish to facebook" option in my "share" button.
    Tom C
    www.tomcollinsphotography.com
    “Art allows us to expand the dimensions of our everyday life.”
    ~Carlos Jurado
  • mgoldmanmgoldman Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2011
    Great addition but....
    So it seems to work great if you want to publish a few images here and there, but to publish a whole album I think Facebook only allows 200 photos per album, and I think the tool should tell you that and allow you to upload to multiple albums on FB.. Also it would be nice to see a progress bar when publishing 200 + images... When I select my 1000 images, it says it is going and I have only seen 8 images posted so far.. still waiting for the rest, not wanting to "restart" the next 200 since I know FB only allows 200.
  • funkythumbfunkythumb Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2011
    You're not the owner of this album
    lampie wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Any ideas?
    Kind regards
    Florian

I get the same message. I tried Chrome, Firefox and Safari on my MacBook Pro, and registered under my custom domain name with each. The Publish to Facebook option appears where it's supposed to, but it keeps reporting back that "You're not the owner of this album". Tried EVERY gallery I have, with same result.

Note that I do use Lightroom 3x to create and upload most of my galleries, but I get the same result even with the ones created directly within the SmugMug web interface. Also, my custom domain name for SmugMug is a sub-domain of my main domain.

REAAAAALLY want to use this feature....!
  • VdoeVdoe Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2011
    I, too, had to go into Compatibility Mode in IE9 to get this to work correctly. Before doing that, I would see the options, then they would disappear. They were still there because the mouse pointer would change when you moved the mouse over where they used to be. When I changed the mode, everything worked great.

Chris