New Here.. first post

MWACMWAC Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited February 28, 2012 in People
I got my DSLR about 18 months ago and have been really trying to learn how to improve and move forward with my photography for just over a year. I would love and welcome any and all feedback.

6745003853_62b959ef23_z.jpg

6745002157_6d4332da50_z.jpg

6655471243_29545a7447_z.jpg

Comments

• CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    Howdy & welcome...
    Ya know... The lighting on 1. Is a good start... I'm guessing a big window is to the side of her... It has a nice soft box feel to it.
    This shot has some decent basic elements & a decent shadow to highlight ratio for portraits...
    Get your girl in the same place but this time turn her face just a little to the light. You have a nice window to practice with... Try keeping a nice balance between the shadows and highlights. You will see the light... ;)
    #2 is just stinking cute...
    Keep shooting & showing... I'm certain we will lead you astray... Lol
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    1. Can you tell us more about what you wanted to say with this image? I'm having a hard time determining what your intention was.

2. I think she is frustrated. Is that what you wanted to communicate?

3. Lost here with intention as well. Can you please describe what you wanted to say?
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    Welcome! Can you tell us how you feel about the images you posted? If there is something you dislike we might be able to advise you how to address it. I am thinking so far so good !!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • MWACMWAC Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 26, 2012
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    Howdy & welcome...
    Ya know... The lighting on 1. Is a good start... I'm guessing a big window is to the side of her... It has a nice soft box feel to it.
    This shot has some decent basic elements & a decent shadow to highlight ratio for portraits...
    Get your girl in the same place but this time turn her face just a little to the light. You have a nice window to practice with... Try keeping a nice balance between the shadows and highlights. You will see the light... ;)
    #2 is just stinking cute...
    Keep shooting & showing... I'm certain we will lead you astray... Lol

Thank you for your kind words. I'm really trying to learn about lighting ratios. This is actually shot in my garage with the garage door wide open. It's a great place to shot and since I live in Texas it really doesn't get to cold in in there (and if it does I just turn on the portable heater).
    RyanS wrote: »
    1. Can you tell us more about what you wanted to say with this image? I'm having a hard time determining what your intention was.

2. I think she is frustrated. Is that what you wanted to communicate?

3. Lost here with intention as well. Can you please describe what you wanted to say?

There really isn't anything I'm trying to say, they are actually just practice shots of my two girls. I was playing with the idea of using natural lighting and adding in additional fill light to get a pleasing, somewhat natural lighting ratio.
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    Welcome! Can you tell us how you feel about the images you posted? If there is something you dislike we might be able to advise you how to address it. I am thinking so far so good !!

#1 - looks like it has some blown areas (ear ring on picture right) I'm also unsure if I have over done her eyes. Both my girls have very striking eyes and even the littlest touch can take them from natural to over cooked.

#2 - I also think I might have blown some areas on this one (face/hair picture left). I'm unsure of the lighting/shadows on this one. I think I might need to diffuse the light coming from the left or up the light source coming from the right. I'm unsure of the crop on this one, her arms are leaving the frame and then coming back in, but cropped it for a square frame but I'm not sure if it's working. (She says that is what I look like when I am practicing taking their pictures, lol).

#3 - I don't like the shadows from her arms, but I think if I would have upped the power on the light from the right it would have been way to strong and caused blown facial features and maybe even her light gray shirt.
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    All of the following is all my opinion. I know many disagree with it. With that disclaimer...

Each photograph requires three things, in order of importance:

1) Content - If you show me something really powerful, then composition and light be hanged! Content is king, as they say. Without this, photography becomes a meaningless exercise is button smashing.
    2) Composition - If you've got the first one down, now how do you arrange that content in an interesting way? The study of artistic composition is one that can consume a lifetime.
    3) Light - A perfectly lit photograph with boring content and poor composition is worthless. Sometimes light itself can be the strongest content, so look out for that.

What you say is far more important than how you say it. That said, learn to say it well and earn the respect of all those around you. Photographers such as Dorothea Lange, Diane Arbus, Vivian Maier, Annie Leibovitz, and Margaret Bourke-White are considered masters of photography. These women (and many more) have my unconditional respect not because they are women. The fact they are women means absolutely nothing to me. They have my respect because they have an eye for imagery that moves the soul. They say something so important about humanity that I can't help but be moved. They are powerful story tellers. They set the bar by which I measure my success.

Your stated purpose is to take better images of your children. I can think of no better example to look at than photographer Anne Day. Look at the pictures of her family she did in her "Summer Lawns" series.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    This is some fun stuff.
    Glad to see you and the young lady are enjoying the photography together.
    Cute shots.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    All technical stuff aside I think these are some great shots with well utilized light and your both having fun so that's a big plus...
    Welcome :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    I Like them