Been refused permission to take photographs at Reading station

KalyrKalyr Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited October 21, 2011 in The Big Picture
Given the glorious summer weather I decided today would be an ideal day to document the old GWR station at Reading before the whole lot gets bulldozed to make way for the shiny new station. When I got there I was told to find the duty manager to seek permission. She then told me I could only photograph the station infrastructure, and could not photograph trains.

Given that I've taken thousands of photographs at UK and overseas stations over 25 years, and never before have train companies ever tried to stop me taking photographs. I know some large stations tried to prevent photographers a few years back in post-9/11 paranoia, but changed their tune after the resulting PR backlash.

Has anyone else had problems at Reading or any other FGW stations? Is this a new policy? What the [insert rude word of your choice] is going on?

So now, rather than spending this glorious weather outside with my camera, I'm sitting at home ranting on the Internet.

Just sent this complaint to First Great Western customer services

I arrived at Reading this morning with the intention of taking photographs of the Reading station prior to redevelopment. On arrival I was advised by the barrier staff to speak to the duty manager.

The duty manager then told me that while I would be permitted to photograph the physical station infrastucture, I would not be permitted to photograph any trains.

I was extremely surprised and very disappointed on being told this, and decided to leave immediately without taking any photographs at all.

Is this a specific local rule affecting Reading, or is there a blanket ban on railway photography across all FGW stations? This is very much at odds with the widely-publicised photography policy of other TOCs such as Virgin Trains. I have certainly taken many photographs of trains at FGW stations (most recently at Bristol Temple Meads a few weeks ago) without being challenged or questioned by platform staff.

I must stress that all FGW staff I encountered were unfailingly polite.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2011
    Any word yet??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Any word yet??

+1
    What the [insert your own expletive here]. Society is getting waaaaay to paranoid and the effect is to limit the enjoyment of a perfectly legal, wonderful hobby. Maybe photographers will have to carry police checks to indicate they are "probably not" a terrorist.
    I would also love to hear their response. I'm sorry you had to endure this [insert your own expletive here]
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com