Putting gloves on invisichik

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited July 22, 2005 in Finishing School
OK all, here's one I don't even know where to begin with. Everyone meet Invisichik. She is a creation of my own as of a few minutes ago. She likes to walk slacklines in the spring, hang out in cozy cabins, and generally just about anything I want her to do. icon10.gif She has a problem though.

As you can (or can't) see in the image below, the fact that she has no visible arms sort of knocks off the balance of the framing. To compensate for this, I'm considering giving her a pair of gloves. This is where I'm stuck.

Can anyone, using photoshop or PSP and without stealing external source images, put gloves on this girl? Or what about a better idea? Is there something easier that I'm missing?

Edit: Oh, and in case you're wondering, the original is here.
Here's the resized photo:
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    And here's one hand....
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited July 14, 2005
    And here's the other. Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    This may not count if you concider the original shot an outside source.

28421316-L.jpg

Bear
    edited July 15, 2005
    Yeah, that's what I'm sorta going for there, except slightly more realistic. Are you just painting over the hands and working to make them look good, or is there a series of affects one can apply to the skin that will work well?
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    coldclimb wrote:
    Yeah, that's what I'm sorta going for there, except slightly more realistic. Are you just painting over the hands and working to make them look good, or is there a series of affects one can apply to the skin that will work well?
    Yes, I selected the hands from the original shot, de-saturated and darkened them. Then I cut and pasted them onto invisichik. The selection was of the pair of hands and using visual cues in the photo was able to place them pretty dang close to where they belong. It would be easy to change the color of the gloves or even turn them into mittens.
    I'm more interested in how you did the original manipulation. Is the "original" actually a composit?

Bear
  • AgilehoundAgilehound Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    Cool idea!! I totally missed the gloves though . . . even when I knew I should be looking for gloves I thought they were something laying in the snow. (I'm admittedly a simple person, although not *that* much simpler than the next. ;) )

Do you think having her cast a shadow with arms/head/etc would help?
    edited July 15, 2005
    behr655 wrote:
    Yes, I selected the hands from the original shot, de-saturated and darkened them. Then I cut and pasted them onto invisichik. The selection was of the pair of hands and using visual cues in the photo was able to place them pretty dang close to where they belong. It would be easy to change the color of the gloves or even turn them into mittens.
    I'm more interested in how you did the original manipulation. Is the "original" actually a composit?

Bear
    Thanks man I'll give it a shot that way and see what I can do.

As for the manipulation, it was mostly cloning. I had five shots in the series, and one of them had quite a bit of the two people in the background on it, so I copied that over the top of her arm in this one, cloned in some edges, and adjusted colors to make it blend well. Then I worked some to clone in the left half of the background girl, which you can tell if you look closely. The rest of the erasing was simple cloning in of mountain background over the arms and face (a shame I had to destroy such a pretty face) which went smoothly. Then I cloned in parts of her shirt onto the shoulder and back, smoothed up some good edges, and hemmed the shirt with a bit of mild burning. Next was the necklace, I just copied, flipped, and mirrored what I could see, and blended the two halves together. The little dragonfly necklace was tougher, as it's so thin that it was all skin colored, so I had to desaturate that, and I'm debating removing it altogether.

Agilehound: I'm torn about the shadows. Her arm already casts a shadow on her side, and her head onto her shoulder, but really she shouldn't be casting shadow at all. Removing those would be really tough though, I'm not sure if I could do it well. As for shadows on the ground, they'd be out of the picture normally, so I'm leaving that out.

Thanks for checking this out! icon10.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2005
    OK

Stealing about 10 minutes of my boss' time (i.e. I am on the clock)

Below is what I did.

Take both hands, and put them on seperate layers.
    Enlarge them to 120% (To show bulk of gloves)
    Duplicate both layers again
    Select a layer, fill with color of choice.
    Change blend mode of original hand on top to luminosity
    Erase part of that layer to show band on gloves.

Could do better, but for 10 minutes not bad at all, if I had more time I would not fill with a solid color but maybe a pattern fill.

FWIW,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
    edited July 19, 2005
    Excellent stuff, thanks! I still haven't made the time to do this yet, but it'll happen sometime soon and I'll finish up this pic. Thanks again for the help!thumb.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited July 22, 2005
    Okay, here's my attempt. If you spot something blatantly fixable with it, please let me know so I can fix it. If not, then I'll be sticking with this. Not too perfect, but it's recognizable. Let me know what you think, and thanks for all the help!

Couldn't decide what color, so I went with all of them. icon10.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    coldclimb wrote:
    Okay, here's my attempt. If you spot something blatantly fixable with it, please let me know so I can fix it. If not, then I'll be sticking with this. Not too perfect, but it's recognizable. Let me know what you think, and thanks for all the help!

Couldn't decide what color, so I went with all of them. icon10.gif
    thumb.gif looks good!
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    I think the multi-colored gloves look more realistic than a solid color because a solid color would need a lot of shadowing to look real and that would be kinda time consuming. Good work!
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited July 22, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    I think the multi-colored gloves look more realistic than a solid color because a solid color would need a lot of shadowing to look real and that would be kinda time consuming. Good work!
    Yeah this was what I found as well. I tried a few solid colors and couldn't get it to satisfy me.

Thanks for the comments and help all! thumb.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com