Rockies (Stitched shots, C&C wanted)

LexiticusLexiticus Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited September 30, 2010 in Landscapes
I'm more looking for opinions on brightness, black levels, saturation etc. My monitor is the same, but I had to move it and the viewing angle is a bit different (higher) and it can't tilt up and down.

C&C on the composition etc is fine too!

From Prince George to in and around Jasper, a few were taken at non optimal lighting times, but I could only be at one place at a time, so I worked with what I could!

stand2.jpg

stand3.jpg

stand4.jpg

stand5.jpg

over1.jpg

over2.jpg

sq1.jpg

Comments

• misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2010
    #2 is my favorite, #1 too bright
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    #1 has a major issue with the sun.

Also it looks like your using a CP filter. This isn't a good idea when stitching. It creates issues with blending the sky.

I like #6, but suggest you clone or crop out the signs.

OT:

In fact I would like to see all signage removed from national Parks. provide a map and inform visitors there will be no signs to spoil the environment, learn to read a darn map, OH and if you want to hang out over the edge of an overhang or feed the bears, it's your problem. :D

Sam
  • LexiticusLexiticus Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    Sam wrote: »
    #1 has a major issue with the sun.

Also it looks like your using a CP filter. This isn't a good idea when stitching. It creates issues with blending the sky.

I like #6, but suggest you clone or crop out the signs.

OT:

In fact I would like to see all signage removed from national Parks. provide a map and inform visitors there will be no signs to spoil the environment, learn to read a darn map, OH and if you want to hang out over the edge of an overhang or feed the bears, it's your problem. :D

Sam

The gradient in the sky from the CPL is IMO not a negative thing, hence why I continue to use it :) I just don't have a problem with it except for in certain circumstances. for me its a case of the benefits outweighing the negatives.

The sign's I used for foreground, and I don't find these ones that obtrusive. Personally I find the area quite free from signage, trailmarkers are few and far between, and the trailheads have some pretty handy quides to determine distance / return trip time etc.

Other parks not soo much.... But Jasper, Banff and Yoho seem to be pretty minimal
  • marcpromarcpro Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    I also find the gradient in the sky distracting on #1.

Do you have a ND grad filter? Maybe try that instead, making sure it's at the same height through all the shots.

#2 I really like.

#3 has sky issues as well. Just to the left of the tree, half-way to the left border of the image, there's vertical banding in the sky there. What SW did you use to stitch?

#4 Nothing really grabs my attention there. Different lighting would make a difference here.

The vertical panos are interesting, it might be worth printing them and mounting them around a doorway or archway for effect.

I also find the signs distracting on the last shot. IMHO without the signs and with most of the grass cropped out at the bottom, it might be improved, although the mountain is still dead center.

Cheers!
    -- Photography without post-processing is like cooking without salt or spices.
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    The panos while interesting don't do much for me, maybe if I saw them presented differently. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    The signs in the last one don't particularly bother me; they give this image a sense of place. If you had the opportunity to reshoot the last one you might also consider a different point of view, get in front of the signs, go low and wide using some of the colorful low brush as a lead-in.<o:p></o:p>
    #4 I like the backlighting, but feel it would be much stronger if the trees hadn't been topped.<o:p></o:p>
    #3 works pretty well but I would have liked to see just a little more shoreline in the foreground.<o:p></o:p>
    #2 works for me and I like the road leading into and thru the image. Great color and dramatic sky.<o:p></o:p>
    #1 not a big fan, to bright on the left and chopped on the right and not very clear what the main focal point is. I don't know what is to the right, but I would have been tempted to compose right thru the center of the large boulder on the left, up the edge of the lake and more to the right.<o:p></o:p>

Phil
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • ToonartistToonartist Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    I really like #2, great composition and colours. I also like #4 but It would have been better if the tops hadn't been cropped off!

The vertical pano shots are really interesting but a little confusing when you see land at the top. However, when I was scrolling down and the land at both ends was cropped off they really looked good. It may be worth playing with the crops a little, there is definitely something to be had there!

Duncan
  • LexiticusLexiticus Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, I agree for the most part, and with all the pano's I have a bet of extra room on the edges (Some more than others) So I could meet some of your suggestions, however right now i'm trying to finish up the non pano stuff. So I'll take another look at them when I get through the rest!