Photoshop CS File Browser Sorting Question

mkpatilmkpatil Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited November 29, 2006 in Finishing School
Main Question: In Photoshop CS (not CS2) the file browser has 'sort' options on the menu that includes sort by 'Name', 'Size', 'Date Created' 'Date Modified', 'Custom' etc, but I could not find sort by 'Picture taken date' - can we add this somewhere in setup?

Optional Info:
The reason I need this is for me to rename about thousand pictures I took at an event with "multiple cameras" so that they are numbered serially with 0001_originalname (example), 0002_originalname, 0003_originalname, and so on, in the "order" the pictures were actually taken. I cannot use the file creation data because the date I see here is the date I copied the files to my PC and I cannot use the file modified date either, because I modified about 10% of the pictures and they now have different modified date compared to original date. I have found out that 'only' after sorting appropriately within the PS file browser if I do a "batch rename", the files are names in the correct order - the file file listed on the top gets 0001, second gets 0002, etc. Most slide shows programs use the file name (as default) to sort files in the show so the file renaming is important for me --- before I present the files to my customers.

Thanks,
Milind

Comments

• mkpatilmkpatil Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    I found a software called 'Better File Rename' (~$20) that can rename files almost any way you want. Now all my pictures within any event/wedding are sequenced in Chronological order (Picture taken date/time) as follows irrespective of which camera was used for any of the multiple pictures :ivar . Of course all the cameras have the time correctly sync'ed up before hand.

Example:
    0001_HCAA0078
    0002_HCAA0080
    0003_IMG_0345
    0004_CAN_0977
    0005_HCAA0081

Thanks,
    Milind