Options

Adirondacks Road Trip

saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
edited February 21, 2009 in Journeys
A couple of months ago, we took a little road trip through the Adirondacks and into Canada. While the weather forecast was horrendous (rain, rain and more rain), it showed that sometimes it can be good to be prepared for the worst. The rain turned out to be mostly showers and looming storm clouds overhead, but we cherished every rain free moment and the occasional ray of sunshine bursting through clouds even more. And sometimes, the clouds made for very photogenic skies. We were also thrilled to discover that, while downstate NY all trees still wore a rich green, the foliage was peaking in the Adirondack Park. Unfortunately, radiant blue-sky fall shots mostly eluded me due to the forever overcast sky and often bad lighting conditions - but I tried to do as best as I could with what Mother Nature had in store for me.

We left Long Island, NY in incredibly warm and humid weather and had to run the a/c in the car full blast. Not even 20 Miles into our trip, the overcast skies had turned into pouring rain.

427796234_NULGb-L.jpg

As bad as the rain often seemed, it would suddenly stop and as mentioned above, would give way to ominous clouds:

427796305_S4xcV-L.jpg

This little town lies on the outskirts of the Adirondack Park and time seemingly stands still in it's historical downtown area. You've gotta love the fact that the pub is named "The Pub". The town itself by the way is called Boonville, and I don't know why but I think that's a really cool name. Cool enough indeed that I've got a t-shirt :thumb!

427796379_vEUYd-L.jpg

The mornings were often foggy and very chilly, but also quite beautiful in their own way:

392269916_3uXgk-L.jpg

Even in the rain, the fall colors sometimes would shine brightly:

427796919_TztLq-L.jpg

Also the fallen leaves looked quite pretty in the rain:

427797058_dhzUU-L.jpg

427797179_mvFVo-L.jpg

This trio of Scarecrows already dressed for Halloween was literally glowing under the autumn skies, especially the lady in pink:

427797305_HU9fg-L.jpg

Muddy grounds are prevalent everywhere this time of the year and rubber boots can be found on almost every porch.

427797405_beNaC-L.jpg

The region boasts many many lakes and rivers and the brightest foliage could be found along their shores and banks.

427797650_dsKzW-L.jpg

427797986_nRXP3-L.jpg

427797513_iuaVg-L.jpg

427797795_bLFRt-L.jpg

This diner is located in the town of Old Forge and the colorful umbrella serves as a reminder of the bygone days of summer.

427798084_EcrLf-L.jpg

Old Adirondack House and fallen leaves:

427798219_yKAdr-L.jpg

Naked Moose, really?

427798488_jqk4U-L.jpg

Really :D!

427798344_GNcrh-L.jpg

Most tourists stick to the towns and villages at this time of the year and the beautiful lakes lay deserted and radiate peacefulness and serenity.

427798886_v8Q4Y-L.jpg

Of course a trip through the Adirondacks requires a picture of the famous Adirondack Chairs. But here I am actually cheating - upon closer inspection these turned out to be made of metal instead of wood:

427798568_Ncm9L-L.jpg

A few more shots of lakes and rivers along the way:

427798994_KjS6z-L.jpg

427799251_JbNF7-L.jpg

427799123_Nez3o-L.jpg

427798791_7LUbF-L.jpg

And another beautiful tree in it's prime:

427798686_E8N2w-L.jpg

A typical Adirondack store. You cannot imagine how many times during this trip I've cursed the washed out skies and difficult lighting conditions:

427799469_RMVhi-L.jpg

This is probably a good summary of all you need to live the good life in the Adirondacks, and approximately in the right order :D: Worms, Ice, Beers, Firewood, Groceries, Maps, Boots, Gifts, Books and Seafood!

427799569_b6Mp9-M.jpg

Here, the sun suddenly broke through the dark clouds and I almost threw myself out of the car to catch this moment. I didn't have much time to look for a great motif but thought this little red house did the job quite nicely.

427799362_UQXsg-XL.jpg

For a while the sun and the rain kept playing cat and mouse and made for beautiful light, as seen at this little seaplane port:

427799699_82sBo-L.jpg

427799809_3aJAf-L.jpg

The sun almost wins in this shot:

427799921_fRnvR-L.jpg

And finally - the rainbow I'd been craning my neck for for the past 30 minutes:

427800035_vdfQM-L.jpg

The last road shot taken in the US before finally crossing the border into Canada (to be continued...)

427800146_pFvyV-XL.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed this little trip. Upon reviewing the posted pics I noticed that quite a few of them appear less than crisp - this is probably the result of some radical downsizing in Photoshop without sharpening and I apologize. These are not the sizes I will eventually upload to my galleries and the originals seem okay...

Many greetings,
Jana
all that we see or seem
is but a dream within a dream
- Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com

Comments

• Options
    bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    thumb.gif Your images certainly impressed me. Thanks for the dialogue and pictures and look forward to the rest.
    bsvirginian
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    clap.gif

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more. I love the path with fallen leaves shot!

ann
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 1, 2008
    I rode through the adirondacks on a motorcycle a few years ago. The thing I remember most was the smell of the pine trees. As we rode along, you could almost feel the history oozing out at you via the look of the buildings. Your photos bring back memories of my trip.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Wonderful series.

I lived in Albany for 13 years before moving to Florida. I was an avid hiker and have climbed most of the high peaks in the Adirondaks. This series really took me back.

Thank you.
  • Options
    MicrocosmMicrocosm Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    Really beautiful pictures, great eye.

Hoss's! I've been there. I've been up in one of those planes as well, nice little town.
    "Nothing is impossible, you are only limited by fear, and even that you can overcome." -Seth Morrison

• Options
    edited December 1, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words everyone, they are much appreciated!

Mitchell - The Adirondacks really are a beautiful place and going on an extended hike there has been on my to-do list for a while. Unfortunately, whenever I find myself up there it is either very cold or raining and I have to admit that I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to sleeping in a freezing, muddy tent rolleyes1.gif (I've done it though, but I prefer sun and warm...).

Microcosm - I cannot remember the name of that little town, but you are right, the seaplanes aren't far from it. "Hoss" must be a big shot there, because everything is named after him - the store, the hotel, the restaurant and even the ice cream parlor...
    all that we see or seem
    - Edgar Allan Poe

• Options
    edited December 1, 2008
    saltydog wrote:
    Thanks for the kind words everyone, they are much appreciated!

Mitchell - The Adirondacks really are a beautiful place and going on an extended hike there has been on my to-do list for a while. Unfortunately, whenever I find myself up there it is either very cold or raining and I have to admit that I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to sleeping in a freezing, muddy tent rolleyes1.gif (I've done it though, but I prefer sun and warm...).

Microcosm - I cannot remember the name of that little town, but you are right, the seaplanes aren't far from it. "Hoss" must be a big shot there, because everything is named after him - the store, the hotel, the restaurant and even the ice cream parlor...

I've stayed at one of the camps there a few times in the summer, and I'm pretty sure Long Lake is the name of the entire town. I could be wrong though. Yeah, hahaha I'm not sure about Hoss either but everything in that little town is somehow associated with that name.
    "Nothing is impossible, you are only limited by fear, and even that you can overcome." -Seth Morrison

• Options
    edited December 1, 2008
    Microcosm wrote:
    I've stayed at one of the camps there a few times in the summer, and I'm pretty sure Long Lake is the name of the entire town. I could be wrong though. Yeah, hahaha I'm not sure about Hoss either but everything in that little town is somehow associated with that name.
    Yup thumb.gif- Long Lake, that's it, just checked my travel map! This makes me wonder when the first camera with integrated GPS System will show up, so it will embed location into the EXIF Data. Heck, what do I know, it seems like such a logical step, that it probably already exists.

It also makes me wonder about the creativity of the "Lakenamegivers" up there. So there's Sixth Lake, Seventh Lake, Eighth Lake... And when they finally got bored with numericals they came up with - Long Lake headscratch.gif:D ???
    all that we see or seem
    - Edgar Allan Poe

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2008
    I really enjoyed this series! I have taken a road trip through the mountains of NY but never quite that far north. I think the the faulty weather you had just adds to the story... and it makes your sun shots all the more dramatic and special.

The Naked Moose looks like a truly fantastic place to stop for lunch. :D

Looking forward to seeing more!
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2008
    Thank you Schmoo! I am really glad you enjoyed my little trip, since I always love the shots you post.

I have to admit that the "Naked Moose" sign and the moose statue were photographed in the same village, but not in the same place. The wooden moose just stands in some weird little niche at the edge of town, but I thought the two photos went together well :D.
    all that we see or seem
    - Edgar Allan Poe

• Options
    edited December 3, 2008
    saltydog wrote:
    Yup thumb.gif- Long Lake, that's it, just checked my travel map! This makes me wonder when the first camera with integrated GPS System will show up, so it will embed location into the EXIF Data. Heck, what do I know, it seems like such a logical step, that it probably already exists.

It also makes me wonder about the creativity of the "Lakenamegivers" up there. So there's Sixth Lake, Seventh Lake, Eighth Lake... And when they finally got bored with numericals they came up with - Long Lake headscratch.gif:D ???

Haha, well there are a lot of lakes up there! Do you want to be in charge of naming them all? And yeah, I'm sure some sort of GPS integration will emerge at some point.

• Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2008
    I love the still life of the rubber boots! thumb.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited December 4, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    I love the still life of the rubber boots! thumb.gif
    Thanks :D. My In-laws live up there and these are my father-in-law's boots. They're both great people, but make fun of me because I always take pics wherever I go. My husband's mom couldn't help but whisper loud enough for me to hear, "what's she doing now, taking pictures of Mike's boots???" . Well, it's all in the eye of the beholder... mwink.gif
    all that we see or seem
    - Edgar Allan Poe

• Options
    photographzphotographz Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2009
    Hoss's is one of my favorite places to visit when we hit the north country. Have you ridden one of the Helm's seaplanes? I've been up twice with them, about 20 years apart-in the same plane (the brown one) with the same pilot (the father)! It's nice to eat at the Adirondack hotel and watch them land.

Great shots, I love it up there in the fall and winter (any time but spring, I *HATE* black flies)!

It's funny how you can go there and it seems like nothing changes. My mother and I camped up there near Indian Lake when I was a child, and I hadn't been back for years. My husband and I decided to go up there again a few years ago (and try to at least once a year since), and it was amazing to go to Long Lake. Northern Borne hadn't changed..the same planes where there...the hotel was about the same...Hoss's was still there (although it's changed inside). I will admit I like the high peaks for the scenery, but the central area is WAy less "tourist trap" (like Lake Placid).

It's one of those places you find yourself saying "wow" alot!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    Fantastically great shots.......

[Quote:
    Originally Posted by saltydog]
    Yup thumb.gif- Long Lake, that's it, just checked my travel map! This makes me wonder when the first camera with integrated GPS System will show up, so it will embed location into the EXIF Data. Heck, what do I know, it seems like such a logical step, that it probably already exists.....headscratch.gif:D ???[/quote]

Actually Ricoh had a full integrated GPS P/S several years ago.....it sold for around 10K........looking into your profile I do not see what you shoot with...so.............Nikon has had GPS capable cameras for a while.....the least expensive was the D70.....then the D200 came about and know the D300 - D3x all have the ability to mark your shots as you shootem with a GPS attached via a cord to the front of the camera (or it was on the front for the D70 and D200)......I do not know if the D90 or lesser models ahve that function or not....it is too bad that canon has not adopted it also.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    I spent many summers of my youth in the ADKs. And several since! Got married in them thar mountains, they hold a special place in my heart. Thanks for sharing!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2009
    My family has a cabin at Fern Lake (AuSable Forks) up in the Adironacks, great to see photos from other areas... brings back such good memories!

PS - where on Long Island are you from? I grew up in Center Moriches.