Options

My first reasonably successful Milky Way.

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited August 25, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
There is a tonne of room for improvement from a shooting and processing perspective but for now, I'm happy enough with this one.

2016-0173.png

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2016
    Nice Ian....need to find more interesting foreground!
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2016
    Cheers SB. Agree on the foreground however I was limited where I was .
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2016
    Wow congratulations on a sweet shot! Can you share details on your technique? And tell about the light in the lower left-- city lights? And lower right-- fading sunset?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    roiceadroicead Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2016
    very nicely done, esp. with all of the light on the horizon.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2016
    Thanks guys, very much appreciated. The shot was a 60 second exposure at ISO 5000, F/3.5 and 10mm FL.

The light to the bottom left is the result of someone in an adjacent building switching on an outdoor light (I cropped a lot of it out). The light on the clouds to the right are likely to be sodium light pollution. I was in Devon in the UK which has some very dark areas however there are some towns off in the distance that give off some light. The clouds in the distance reflected that.

As for processing, I ran a few presets in lightroom to adjust contrasts, hues and saturation to bring out the elusive colours that are resident in the Milkyway. Then applied some NR and a touch of sharpening. Not much though.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited August 25, 2016
    Very nice for a 60 second shot and you got a minimum of star streaking. Usually 20-30 seconds would be max exposure time for stars and MW. The editing ended up looking great. I can only suggest working on your foreground landscape components to help make the compositions more interesting.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2016
    Thanks David, I was somewhat limited with the foreground unfortunately but I'm hoping the next time I get to a dark skies area in the UK (not many of those unfortunately) I'll be able to scout a better location.

I have a 37 second shot here :) Still a crap foreground though.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=258989