Options

Many Photos: Not saving all keywords

NorthwoodsNorthwoods Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited August 11, 2012 in Bug Reporting
Hi,
In any gallery with more than 495 photos (and I have many of them), the Many Photos: Caption/Keyword tool is no longer saving keywords after the first 495 photos. Keywords are saved for the first 495 photos, the keyword data for the 496th photo is wiped out, and nothing is saved for the remaining photos. Also getting occasional Gateway timeouts when saving. Whether it times out or not, nothing is saved for any photo after the 495th one.

I have had to resort to adding keywords one photo at a time, and even that is acting strange; not displaying the keywords and saying "[indexing]", but instead just changing "Add" to "add" or "Edit" and not showing the keywords at all (although they eventually show up sometime later).

Since the race season just started for me I can't tell how long this has been going on. I do know it has worked perfectly the past two years for galleries with up to 2,000 photos.

I have a big race event coming up in two weeks where I will have several galleries with over a thousand photos each to index by keyword and cannot possibly do this one-at-a time. I have emailed support heroes several times but have not received any satisfactory answer and am not really sure they understand the problem. I'm getting worried.

Is this a widespread problem? Is there an eta on a solution?

PS. My day job is software engineer. I'd be happy to help if I can.

Thanks,
Harry Lefrak
Lefrak Photography
www.lefrakphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 1, 2012
    Northwoods wrote: »
    Hi,
    In any gallery with more than 495 photos (and I have many of them), the Many Photos: Caption/Keyword tool is no longer saving keywords after the first 495 photos. Keywords are saved for the first 495 photos, the keyword data for the 496th photo is wiped out, and nothing is saved for the remaining photos. Also getting occasional Gateway timeouts when saving. Whether it times out or not, nothing is saved for any photo after the 495th one.

I have had to resort to adding keywords one photo at a time, and even that is acting strange; not displaying the keywords and saying "[indexing]", but instead just changing "Add" to "add" or "Edit" and not showing the keywords at all (although they eventually show up sometime later).

Since the race season just started for me I can't tell how long this has been going on. I do know it has worked perfectly the past two years for galleries with up to 2,000 photos.

I have a big race event coming up in two weeks where I will have several galleries with over a thousand photos each to index by keyword and cannot possibly do this one-at-a time. I have emailed support heroes several times but have not received any satisfactory answer and am not really sure they understand the problem. I'm getting worried.

Is this a widespread problem? Is there an eta on a solution?

PS. My day job is software engineer. I'd be happy to help if I can.

Thanks,
    Harry Lefrak
    Lefrak Photography
    www.lefrakphotography.com

Harry,

I am really sorry about that. We are aware of this issue and the engineers are working on this to solve it as soon as possible.

Please standby.

Tom
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2012
    tomnovy wrote: »
    Harry,

I am really sorry about that. We are aware of this issue and the engineers are working on this to solve it as soon as possible.

Please standby.

Tom

Still standing by..... still not fixed.

Do you have a better work-around then what I'm doing, which is to create multiple galleries each with 495 or less photos, add all the keywords, then combine them into one gallery with the Many Photos / Move to Gallery tool?

The main downside to this is once the galleries are combined no mass additions or changes can be made to the keywords.

My photo event this weekend will have over 5,000 photos from 3 cameras that have to be sorted and indexed with keywords. Add to that the multiple gallery work-around and a difficult job becomes an extremely difficult job.

Any good news?

Harry
    Lefrak Photography
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2012
    Harry, the issue has been reported to our engineers, but I don't have an ETA on when we may be able to resolve the issue. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

As a workaround, you could go about adding captions and keywords prior to uploading the photos. You can use any photo editing / managing software that allows adding of IPTC metadata. We support caption and keywords from IPTC metadata (or even XMP) and would import them upon uploading.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    kevtillerkevtiller Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2012
    me too. Thanks for the update & tip on uploading. will watch this thread for a fix.
    is there a way to edit keywords once loaded other than a) individually or b) using the main caption tool?
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2012
    I have the same problem, only opposite. I do not want any keywords on my site. I try to delete them and only the first 495 get cleared.

I cannot delete them on every photo. I mean, I can, but I don't want to go through that effort.

Is there a gallery setting to disable keywords? I don't want them in any gallery.

(Hmmm. Maybe I should ask that question in a separate thread.)
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2012
    GaryBakker wrote: »
    Is there a gallery setting to disable keywords? I don't want them in any gallery.
    In general, if your photos have caption / keywords in the IPTC / XMP metadata, those fields will be automatically imported upon upload. It's not possible to disable that feature and if you don't want that to happen, you would need to remove any such metadata prior to uploading the photos.

The issue with the caption/keyword tool is still being worked on. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    dg97dg97 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 27, 2012
    Hi guys, I ran into this problem recently with a large gallery and found this thread in a Google search. I have a partial workaround that doesn't exactly solve the problem, but it might help someone else who finds this thread.

I uploaded a large gallery and wanted to add a universal caption to all of them using the Many Photos tool. I ran into the OP's problem, and only the first 495 photos received a caption, and the others were left blank.

However, it appears that the Many Photos tool will work correctly for the first 495 photos you have in the current sort order. It wasn't pretty, but I was able to apply my caption 495 photos at a time, simply by rearranging my gallery by "caption", which would keep moving the empty ones to the top.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an option to sort by keyword, but playing around with the other sort options might bring your desired photos to the top of the list.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2012
    The issue with the caption/keyword tool not working properly for larger galleries should be resolved. Can you all take another look?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2012
    OK, I realize my response here is going to be less than helpful, but I thought I'd let you know I tried.

I had added CSS to not show keywords, so I first removed that code. Then I used the Caption/Keyword tool to add a keyword to every photo.

But when I went to check, keywords were not showing up in my gallery. I double-checked to make sure that I removed the CSS code. Yep, done. Keywords? Nope, not showing.

Therefore I cannot conclude that your fix has worked. I am puzzled about why keywords weren't showing up after I deleted the CSS. Maybe the Smugmug gods knew how irritated I was about the original problem that the site knows not to show me keywords. :D More realistically, there must be a time lag before the CSS code change shows up?

Anyway, I tried to test the fix, but my own clumsy ignorance prevented me from being effective at it.

If you want, I can try it all again. I don't know if others have tested the fix or not. Rainforest, just let me know.

Regards,
    Gary

PS -- I have since put the CSS code back in, and deleted the test keywords.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    OK, I realize my response here is going to be less than helpful, but I thought I'd let you know I tried.

I had added CSS to not show keywords, so I first removed that code. Then I used the Caption/Keyword tool to add a keyword to every photo.

But when I went to check, keywords were not showing up in my gallery. I double-checked to make sure that I removed the CSS code. Yep, done. Keywords? Nope, not showing.

Therefore I cannot conclude that your fix has worked. I am puzzled about why keywords weren't showing up after I deleted the CSS. Maybe the Smugmug gods knew how irritated I was about the original problem that the site knows not to show me keywords. :D More realistically, there must be a time lag before the CSS code change shows up?

Anyway, I tried to test the fix, but my own clumsy ignorance prevented me from being effective at it.

If you want, I can try it all again. I don't know if others have tested the fix or not. Rainforest, just let me know.

Regards,
    Gary

PS -- I have since put the CSS code back in, and deleted the test keywords.
    Using the bulk tool keywords could take some time to process so you might have to wait some time to check.

Click the "edit" next to the keyword under a main photo. Might see an indexing message.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    Using the bulk tool keywords could take some time to process so you might have to wait some time to check.

Click the "edit" next to the keyword under a main photo. Might see an indexing message.

That's the weird thing -- the keyword label with the edit option wasn't appearing under the main photo at all. Even after I removed the CSS code that supposedly is suppressing keywords.

From your response it sounds like you'd like an independent user test. I'll try it again.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2012
    That's the weird thing -- the keyword label with the edit option wasn't appearing under the main photo at all. Even after I removed the CSS code that supposedly is suppressing keywords.

From your response it sounds like you'd like an independent user test. I'll try it again.
    The following in your css with hide not only the keywords, but the 'edit' link too:

#photoKeywords {
    display: none;
    }

Take the above out, then change this:

.notLoggedIn #photokeywords {display:none;}

To this:

.notLoggedIn #photoKeywords {display:none;}

I just tested the caption / keyword tool, I was able to add and remove keywords to a gallery of 2996 images without issues.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2012
    richW wrote: »
    The following in your css with hide not only the keywords, but the 'edit' link too:

#photoKeywords {
    display: none;
    }

Take the above out, then change this:

.notLoggedIn #photokeywords {display:none;}

To this:

.notLoggedIn #photoKeywords {display:none;}

I just tested the caption / keyword tool, I was able to add and remove keywords to a gallery of 2996 images without issues.

Wow. Thanks richW for looking into this for me. I did not even realize I had that code (mentioned first) at the bottom of my CSS. That is some really old stuff.

Everything got confusing for me because I went to the Smugmug Black Arts style and the keywords showed up. So that's when I discovered that the Caption/Keyword tool didn't work fully. But then I went back to a slightly customized gallery style and the keywords went away. I had a case of mistaken cause-and-effect. I thought the reason the keywords went away was because of my CSS code you mentioned second (added recently), not the CSS code you mentioned first (added a very long time ago).

That last sentence was ridiculously convoluted, but I hope you get the gist.

There needs to be an embarrassed emoticon so I could use it here. Making this all more embarrassing is that I am a Computer Science major and have spent my career in IT. To be fair though, my degree was back in the stone ages when we still used punched cards, and my career was in management so I never learned CSS.

From your suggested fixes I infer that it is important to use upper-case and lower-case "commands" as appropriate. Typing URLs and email addresses where case is meaningless has obviously created bad habits in me.

I will fix my CSS code. And not bother to test the corrected Caption/Keyword tool, because the bug has obviously been fixed.

Once again, Smugmug support is the best online support I have ever experienced.

Thanks!
    Gary
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2012
    The issue with the caption/keyword tool not working properly for larger galleries should be resolved. Can you all take another look?
    I just tried it and yes, it is indeed fixed.wings.gif

If only it came two weeks ago so I wouldn't have had to upload this gallery as seven different galleries, add the keywords to each gallery, and then combine them into one. At least I won't have to do that again (hopefully). Thanks!

Harry
    Lefrak Photography
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited August 2, 2012
    Just key-worded and captioned an entire gallery in one go and can also confirm success. That's a nice feature and a real time saver.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    kevtillerkevtiller Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    yep - the fix worked a treat - many thanks indeed !