Options

Noah Purifoy Outdoor Desert Museum

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited February 21, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
On our way to Joshua Tree N.P. we discovered this outdoor museum on the outskirts of the town of Joshua Tree.
I love folk art, rust, junk, etc., so, it was quite fun to visit this place - although, this day was cold, cloudy,
and raining on-and-off, and the Missus was anxious to get warmer and drier.
But, despite the weather (better lighting actually), we enjoyed it very much... and, we were the only people there that day.
If you like such things, it's a must-see if you happen by that way.

From Wikipedia:
Noah S. Purifoy (1917–2004) was an African American visual artist and sculptor, co-founder of the Watts Towers Art Center, and creator of the Noah Purifoy Outdoor Desert Art Museum.
He lived and worked most of his life in Los Angeles and Joshua Tree, California.
He is best known for his assemblage sculpture, including a body of work made from charred debris and wreckage collected after the Watts Riots of August 1965.

In the late 1980s, Purifoy moved to the Mojave Desert, and over the last fifteen years of his life built what is now the Noah Purifoy Outdoor Sculpture Museum.
Located on 10 acres of open land near the town of Joshua Tree, California, the museum contains over one hundred works of art, including large scale assemblages,
environmental sculptures, and installation art created by the artist between 1989–2004.

NP%201-X2.jpg

NP%202-X2.jpg

NP%203-X2.jpg

NP%204-X2.jpg

NP%205-X2.jpg

NP%206-X2.jpg

NP%207-X2.jpg

NP%208-X2.jpg

NP%2011-X2.jpg

NP%209-X2.jpg

NP%2010-X2.jpg

NP%2012-X2.jpg

NP%2013-X2.jpg

NP%2014-X2.jpg

NP%2015-X2.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited February 4, 2016
    Great stuff Eric. I think I would go nuts there--I just love this sort of thing. I think color usually works better than B&W for showing art works, which makes sense if you think about it. A Van Gogh wouldn't look like much in B&W.
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2016
    I also love this kind of thing - great shots, Eric. I agree with Richard about the BW vs color although I I really like the BW in #4. My personal favorite of the bunch is #12. What fun you must have had!

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2016
    Wow that's a crazy place!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited February 4, 2016
    That's an awesome place to find! I think I need to add this to my "must visit" places, thanks for sharing the location and the photos.

I agree, the color shots are my favorites.

--- Denise
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2016
    Great documentation work, Eric. That's a truly fascinating place. I've got to tell you, I saw a number of things that I would bid on at auction. A few of the yard-size pieces would give the neighbors reason to gasp but I'd stick them around my house anyway.

See you buddy,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2016
    Wonderful!
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2016
    That's interesting place! Some lovely shots in there!
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2016
    Scrolling through I was *shocked* by the spy in #9! Startling!! And wonderful! --Carter
  • Options
    mayflymayfly Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2016
    Very nice Eric. 15 is wonderfully busy and while overall I also like the color best, the b/w conversion highlights the sky in 4 and 11 adds an element of moodiness that I like.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2016
    Thanks for the comments and feedback folks - appreciated!

Richard, I agree with you and the others about color as the better overall choice for the subject(s)... but, I always have to scratch the B&W itch, at least a little. :D

Denise, Cool! I figured you might like to know of this place, as you have visited, and will likely return to J.T. thumb.gif

Tom, I double-dare you to treat your neighbors to some new lawn art! Please post pics! mwink.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2016
    I think #4 works in b/w but # 9 is killer....well maybe I should say that but it is my favorite. Too weirdly funny.
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2016
    Well done eye candy.

My favorite is no 3.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2016
    AnnaMaria, willard, thanks for the look and comments!
    Eric ~ Smugmug