Roses with warm textures

CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
edited February 7, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
My intention is to give these roses a soft, tactile warmth. Photos with post processing texture layers in Paintshop Pro. Your suggestions have been very helpful, and I always welcome comments and critique. Thank you! --Carter

i-LxvFkct-X2.jpg

i-2fn5ppz-X2.jpg

i-x4Pvpfq-X2.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited February 4, 2016
    I like the color and softness of these, but I think the textures distract rather than add quality. In #2, it looks like you're shooting through a dirty window. Better to bring out the texture in the flowers themselves. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but canned filters only rarely improve images, IMO. ne_nau.gif
  • CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2016
    Richard wrote: »
    I like the color and softness of these, but I think the textures distract rather than add quality. In #2, it looks like you're shooting through a dirty window. Better to bring out the texture in the flowers themselves. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but canned filters only rarely improve images, IMO. ne_nau.gif

Richard, thank you! I value your insight and that's why I post here. I'm experimenting and learning, and it's this forum that provides the clear and gentle critique to help me get better at this. So thank you!! It may be that you're seeing the "glazing" I'm intending to convey. It may not be working so well here, I admit. This texture was not labeled dirty window! But that may be the effect! I'll keep at it. I enjoy your posts, and I appreciate your thoughts! --Carter
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2016
    I agree with Richard. From a photographic quality perspective, I think #2 is the best one, keep trying different approaches. I also agree with you that Dgrin and Dgrinners rock! It's a great community and I have learned a lot here (even if sometimes it doesn't really show!:D:D)
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2016
    Hi Carter, from the photos I also like #2 the best. I see where you were going with #3 but for me it would have been more successful if there had been more flower and less of the top background (table?). And like Cristóbal and Richard I am not much one for texture overlays but certainly appreciate your desire for experimentation!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Sara
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2016
    Carter, i'm going to go against the grain here ( not to unusual according to my wife!) I like all three and I enjoy the texture as they seem to give the pictures depth, and a quality of age akin to maturity...like a nice old wine bottle label! If I had received a card from someone with any one of these pictures as a background I would have been pleased...but that's just me! Great job my friend!

Take care,

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2016
    Juano wrote: »
    I agree with Richard. From a photographic quality perspective, I think #2 is the best one, keep trying different approaches. I also agree with you that Dgrin and Dgrinners rock! It's a great community and I have learned a lot here (even if sometimes it doesn't really show!:D:D)
    Hi Carter, from the photos I also like #2 the best. I see where you were going with #3 but for me it would have been more successful if there had been more flower and less of the top background (table?). And like Cristóbal and Richard I am not much one for texture overlays but certainly appreciate your desire for experimentation!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Sara
    Carter, i'm going to go against the grain here ( not to unusual according to my wife!) I like all three and I enjoy the texture as they seem to give the pictures depth, and a quality of age akin to maturity...like a nice old wine bottle label! If I had received a card from someone with any one of these pictures as a background I would have been pleased...but that's just me! Great job my friend!

Take care,

Wayne

Thank you all for your insights and helpful suggestions! Really appreciate your willingness to share your thoughts!