Options

Droolin' Time

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited February 19, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe. The last time I know about this one selling, it went for well over six million....probably go for a bunch more now.

Amelia%202009%20061-X2.jpg

Not your daddy's everyday Buick

Amelia%202009%20203-X2.jpg

Amelia%202009%20203-X2.jpg

1948 Delahaye 135 MS

Amelia%202009%20212-X2.jpg

1936 Delahaye 135

Amelia%202009%20222-X2.jpg

Amelia%202009%20217-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2016
    Yeah, they probably wouldn't like it if I drooled on their cars...real beauties, nicely photographed, Tom!
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2016
    What a unique set of beauties! I have never seen any that looked like these before. #2 and last one would be my favorites!
    Cheers Tom!
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2016
    moose135 wrote: »
    Yeah, they probably wouldn't like it if I drooled on their cars...real beauties, nicely photographed, Tom!

Thanks, John. I'd like to be sharing the Daytona 24 Hours race with you. I hope you have a great time there.

Stay safe,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    What a unique set of beauties! I have never seen any that looked like these before. #2 and last one would be my favorites!
    Cheers Tom!

I tell you, Taz, the really big iron shows up at these leading shows. Those French cars from the 30's and 40's are among the most beautiful ever produced.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2016
    Wow those Delahayes are gorgeous...

The Buick ain't so shabby either...

Well resolved shots Tom
    Rags
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2016
    torags wrote: »
    Wow those Delahayes are gorgeous...

The Buick ain't so shabby either...

Well resolved shots Tom

Hey Rags, I really appreciate the visit. I wish photos could adequately convey just how stunning some of these cars are.

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2016
    Tom, some great shots of some fabulous autos. Interestingly, I shot the same Delahaye in 2013 in the foothills of California - at a Custom Restorer's show room . License plate is the same. I don't mean to crash your thread, but thought it was interesting how this car got around! Again - great shots and I love the 36 Delahaye.

IMG_4808_09_10_fused%20Topaz%20OK-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2016
    That's interesting, Jo. Thanks for sending along the picture. As one would imagine, many of the fabulous cars that hit these major shows call California home. If I wanted to really step out, it would be some version of a Delahaye I would be after. They're rolling art personified.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2016
    Six million!? Wow... Great reminder of how mere a mortal I am.
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2016
    Funny, from the title of your thread I though we were going to be looking at baby pictures! You've got me grinning as I look through these pics! Very nice, indeed!! --Carter
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2016
    Love these Tom! Great job of getting good, clear shots in the midst of those crowds. And of course the cars are to die for... although I really am fond of the Horchs and Maybachs from that era, the french cars are truly special - love those curves!

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2016
    Juano wrote: »
    Six million!? Wow... Great reminder of how mere a mortal I am.

I tell you, Cristóbal, you don't have to be around the world of really high-end cars very long to realize that the monies thrown around can get insane....and it's not just limited to the cars themselves. A lot of associated memorabilia, books, etc. can also command stiff selling prices.

Referencing the Cobra Daytona Coupe....a few years back I bought a book that is considered the definitive bible concerning the conception, development, and racing of that fabulous car. At the time of publication, I paid $150 for the book. I recently sold that book to someone who wanted it more than I did for $1200. Crazy.

See you buddy,

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2016
    CCoop wrote: »
    Funny, from the title of your thread I though we were going to be looking at baby pictures! You've got me grinning as I look through these pics! Very nice, indeed!! --Carter

Hey Carter, it's great to have you drop by. I guess we enter the world drooling and, like in my case, as an old man I'm still drooling...about cars of all things. Darlene says I'm hopeless. Maybe I am.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2016
    Love these Tom! Great job of getting good, clear shots in the midst of those crowds. And of course the cars are to die for... although I really am fond of the Horchs and Maybachs from that era, the french cars are truly special - love those curves!

Cheers, Sara

Golly, Sara, I didn't know you were a fellow car aficionado but anyone who knows of Horchs and Maybachs is more than a casual observer. Unfortunately, the growing crowds at the major shows have diminished my fervor somewhat for the combat necessary to get clear shots. At some point, I'll probably start leaving my camera home and just enjoy the scene....but I'm not at that point yet:D

Stay safe,

Tom
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2016
    I had a good friend who hobby was restauration and as a result I've attended a few car shows and developed a casual interest in the classics (and even ridden in a few!). Those cars are true things of beauty and artful craftsmanship. I've even visited the museum near Strasbourg where there are over 100 Bugattis (!!). Wow, that was something!

And please... don't leave your camera at home any time soon!

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2016
    I had a good friend who hobby was restauration and as a result I've attended a few car shows and developed a casual interest in the classics (and even ridden in a few!). Those cars are true things of beauty and artful craftsmanship. I've even visited the museum near Strasbourg where there are over 100 Bugattis (!!). Wow, that was something!

And please... don't leave your camera at home any time soon!

Cheers, Sara

Gracious!! All those Bugattis is one spot would surely send me into sensory overload. I've seen my share of those things but never so many at once. My bucket list includes visiting some of Europe's top museums and collections. I best get my butt in high gear....time's flying by.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    dspdsp Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2016
    Love those Daytona Coupes. That one (CSX 2601) sold for $7.25 million at Mecum Monterey in 2009. It was a no-sale at Mecum's Spring Auction that same year at $7.5 Million. Guess holding out didn't pay off this time. But, at those prices, what's $250k?
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2016
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2016
    dsp wrote: »
    Love those Daytona Coupes. That one (CSX 2601) sold for $7.25 million at Mecum Monterey in 2009. It was a no-sale at Mecum's Spring Auction that same year at $7.5 Million. Guess holding out didn't pay off this time. But, at those prices, what's $250k?

When dealing in cars of this ilk, greed can set in rather quickly. The reality of the market might take a while to emerge and will often dictate selling prices somewhat different than we expect. I've personally been on both sides of that picture.....as a buyer and as a seller but never with cars of this price magnitude, however.

Thanks for looking in and providing additional info.

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2016
    jerryr wrote: »
    Nice images of the Delahayes!

Thanks for the visit, Jerry. I find that folks who don't know much about cars at all ( not referring to you ) still swoon over the Delahayes. Beautiful is a universally admired trait, I suppose.

Tom
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2016
    Love the Delahayes, Tom, right on the cusp of understanding aerodynamics.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata