Chattahoochee below Morgan Falls Dam

CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
edited February 3, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
Lots of rain the last week of December 2015, and the Chattahoochee river is overflowing its banks. Exposure about 60 sec with ND filter, then texturized in Paint Shop Pro. Your comments always welcome and appreciated! --Carter

i-cFq69dC-L.jpg

i-276T8GV-L.jpg

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2016
    On my monitor, Carter, these appear to have been subjected to a sepia-type PP treatment. Relative to that, someone who might process it in a similar fashion would be a better person to offer critique on that issue. I just happen to never do any sepia work....likely because I'm no good at it.

I find the first shot does a far better job at suggesting a swollen river. One would suppose that the trees protruding from the water would indicate the normal bank area. The second shot, because of the lack of prominent, clear normal bank indicators, fails to bring impact to the perception of a swollen river.

Watch out for the slithery boys that get on the move with rising waters.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2016
    On my monitor, Carter, these appear to have been subjected to a sepia-type PP treatment. Relative to that, someone who might process it in a similar fashion would be a better person to offer critique on that issue. I just happen to never do any sepia work....likely because I'm no good at it.

Tom

Thank you, Tom. The sepia effect results from blending layers with the original image. Here the most prominent layer is a rough, coppery concrete, and it has effected the desaturated, sepia tone and the rough texture. I appreciate your insights! --Carter
    edited January 7, 2016
    Before all the "texturizing." Just minor adjustments for exposure.

IMG_5609-L.jpg
  • Alex_Alex_ Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2016
    This looks awesome, love the color tone of it all :)
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2016

I find the first shot does a far better job at suggesting a swollen river. One would suppose that the trees protruding from the water would indicate the normal bank area. The second shot, because of the lack of prominent, clear normal bank indicators, fails to bring impact to the perception of a swollen river.

Watch out for the slithery boys that get on the move with rising waters.

Take care,

Tom

I agree with Tom's appreciation. I am fond of #1, but after looking at it again I feel the texture you added is too strong. I do like the sepia tone, it is not easy to get it right and I think you did a good job.
    edited February 3, 2016
    Alex_ wrote: »
    This looks awesome, love the color tone of it all :)

Thanks for commenting, Alex. The color, feel, mood and texture really resonate with me, and that is what I'm going for here. I appreciate whatever suggestions you may have, as always!
    Juano wrote: »
    I agree with Tom's appreciation. I am fond of #1, but after looking at it again I feel the texture you added is too strong. I do like the sepia tone, it is not easy to get it right and I think you did a good job.

Thank you, Cristobal. I discovered these texturizing techniques on Instagram and have been really fascinated by the painterly, aged, and moody feel they have. I have been experimenting with reproducing the look by using layers and blending modes in Paintshop Pro. Some are more successful than others, and in this case above I agree that #1 seems to work better than #2. It may just be that it's a better composition overall. And here's what I have noticed about the textures (in this case rough concrete): It's easy to be heavy handed and overdone! And, everything looks better on a smaller screen!

Thank you all for looking, and I always value your comments and appreciate your suggestions. I'm glad to have a forum where I can experiment and get more than a "Like"!!! --Carter