Options

New to SmugMug Customization

tziadytziady Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 17, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
Hello All;

I am very new and have already played with some simple customizations of the SmugMug website. It looks extremely flexible and I have seen many things out there that I would like to do. However, I have two issues. 1) I believe I do have the newer rather than the legacy SmugMug account. How can one identify this and make sure? 2) In the past I have edited html / css files directly without working through the provided interface. This really helped in particular with debugging and having full control. Is there any way to access one's account via FTP/SSH or a rawer method than the customization interface. Finally, if that is not possible; can one at least get the top level CSS files to know what is affecting what on the page and the like? Finally, how can I just make all the pages a replica of the Site Wide page then edit the differences. I will be reading through many of the FAQs and other information that is posted it here; I was just wondering if I am even on the right track or need to approach this from a completely different angel. Thanks for your time and energy in responding to my questions.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited July 13, 2014
    tziady wrote: »
    1) I believe I do have the newer rather than the legacy SmugMug account. How can one identify this and make sure?
    When did you create your smug account? If it was recent you definitely have new smug. Post a link to your site and someone can verify (as they look very different). Bu t- you reference pages later in your question - if you mean the items you created in smug then you have New smug.
    2) In the past I have edited html / css files directly without working through the provided interface. This really helped in particular with debugging and having full control. Is there any way to access one's account via FTP/SSH or a rawer method than the customization interface. Finally, if that is not possible; can one at least get the top level CSS files to know what is affecting what on the page and the like?
    You can only access your account through SmugMug customization. No FTP/SSH is available.

You can use tools in the browsers to see the code. I use Firebug (in Firefox) and the developer tools available in Chrome.
    Finally, how can I just make all the pages a replica of the Site Wide page then edit the differences.
    Pages are standalone, not replicas of anything. I think there may be a feature request for what you are asking but I can't locate it right now.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2014
    When did you create your smug account? If it was recent you definitely have new smug. Post a link to your site and someone can verify (as they look very different). Bu t- you reference pages later in your question - if you mean the items you created in smug then you have New smug.

You can only access your account through SmugMug customization. No FTP/SSH is available.

You can use tools in the browsers to see the code. I use Firebug (in Firefox) and the developer tools available in Chrome.

Pages are standalone, not replicas of anything. I think there may be a feature request for what you are asking but I can't locate it right now.

--- Denise

In the old SM, I used to FTP my custom CSS. I added '<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../css/smugmug.css" />' to the head. Can't do that in the New SM
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2014
    --- Denise

The account I am currently working on has been around since April 2009.

--- Denise

I have been trying to do this; however, trying to use the customization and preview functionality since I don't want to disrupt the currently running site until I finish all the customizations. So, it brings me to this question. Do I have to create a blank new account to make the customizations in and move everything so that I can easily use tools like firebug and chrome developer tools; because when I try to use these tools in the preview mode, I believe lots of the smugmug java code for the customization interface is intertwined with the actual code that my customers would actually see. Does that make sense?

Well, saving all the customizations and being able to apply as needed would be amazing. Particularly if I have to make changes to another account and then move them over to my real account. Hope this makes sense. Thank you so much for your response.

Tamer
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited July 17, 2014
    I have been trying to do this; however, trying to use the customization and preview functionality since I don't want to disrupt the currently running site until I finish all the customizations. So, it brings me to this question. Do I have to create a blank new account to make the customizations in and move everything so that I can easily use tools like firebug and chrome developer tools; because when I try to use these tools in the preview mode, I believe lots of the smugmug java code for the customization interface is intertwined with the actual code that my customers would actually see. Does that make sense?
    You may be right about this.

I wouldn't create a new account because I'm not aware of an automated way to move customizations from one account to another.

Without seeing your existing site (since you haven't supplied a link) I can't begin to imagine the type of customizations you are trying to apply. Why not try to keep your new smug site simple as you are working to convert? You can always make additional changes later.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2014
    simplifications moving forward...
    You may be right about this.

I wouldn't create a new account because I'm not aware of an automated way to move customizations from one account to another.

Without seeing your existing site (since you haven't supplied a link) I can't begin to imagine the type of customizations you are trying to apply. Why not try to keep your new smug site simple as you are working to convert? You can always make additional changes later.

--- Denise

That is what I am doing at the moment. I just think it would be a great benefit if the end users could get access to atleast the classes and IDs used by the site to make it easier to address certain aspects of the site without having to reverse engineer everything. Perhaps, I will put in a feature request. This would just make the customization allot easier in my experience. Thanks for the responses, I will keep moving forward with minimal customizations.

T