Rare Corvette " Tankers "

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited August 11, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
In 1963, Chevy launched a completely redesigned Corvette.....the infamous ' split window ' coupe being the star of the show. It is generally conceded to be one of the most beautiful cars of all time. The unique split window design was for one year only. The following models of this design in '64, '65, '66 and '67 went to a single-pane rear window.

Along with the standard 1963 model, Chevy also offered a special model....the Z 06.... which was intended to make the car more competitive to other world-class race cars. A primary target was the Ford Cobra. All Z 06 models had extensive modifications to the suspension, drive train, and brakes. Additionally, all Z 06's were fitted with the 327 C.I. fuel injected engine putting out 360 H.P. It was now a potent performer.

There was a total of 199 Z 06 models produced. Only 63 of those cars, however, were modified even further by the addition of a really huge ( 36 gallon ) fuel tank to accommodate long-distance racing. These rare versions became known as the " Tanker " Corvettes. I was stunned to find 6 of these jewels at one show.

This beauty was the warhorse of one of the premier Corvette racers of the day....Dick Lang.

Amelia%202013%20257-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20260-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20263-X3.jpg

This Z 06, prepared and raced by Mickey Thompson, is really special. Chevy had the renegade engine builder from Daytona, Smokey Yunick, come up with a ' mystery motor ' for Thompson's car....a 427 C.I. stormer. After its racing days, this car had the original 327 C.I. motor put back in.
During the restoration process on this car, the ' mystery motor ' was located and re-installed.

Amelia%202013%20292-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20295-X3.jpg

Amelia%20213%20298-X3.jpg

Taking the Z 06 theme to the max, Chevy unleashed this monster. It was christened the Grand Sport. It had a special 377 C.I. engine putting out almost 500 H.P. Taken to the Nassau Speed Weeks race, it demolished it's Cobra competition.

Amelia%202013%20271-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20280-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20271-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2014
    Gorgeous! Love the Blue one! Last shot brings it home! Cheers Tom!thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited August 9, 2014
    Split windows were so unique. They are probably my favorites until this year's vette which is just gorgeous.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2014
    All nice....

A far cry from my old '57.... eek7.gif
    Rags
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2014
    Very nice set of images. 1967 Vette was my favorite of that era. The red one above is gorgeous.

Thanks much for posting.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Gorgeous! Love the Blue one! Last shot brings it home! Cheers Tom!thumb.gif

Thanks for the visit, Taz. It's pretty hard not to get giddy when you're around cars like this.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 10, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    Split windows were so unique. They are probably my favorites until this year's vette which is just gorgeous.

I once drove a split window. Rear vision was almost non-existent. The safety guys at GM won out in a big inter-company battle regarding that window design.... that's why they went to the one-piece rear window in '64.

See ya,

Tom
    edited August 10, 2014
    torags wrote: »
    All nice....

A far cry from my old '57.... eek7.gif

I knew a guy in high school who had a new '57. He was pretty good with a wrench. Wasn't long before he had stuck six 2-barrel carbs on top of that motor. You never saw so many gas lines in your life. Syncing all those carbs was a nightmare....he never did get that thing to running really right. His girlfriend was driving it one day not long after he had done the conversion. One of those gas lines sprung a leak, the thing caught fire and the entire car burned to the ground.

Tom
    edited August 10, 2014
    Very nice set of images. 1967 Vette was my favorite of that era. The red one above is gorgeous.

Thanks much for posting.

Phil

I'm with you, Phil. I bought a new '67 roadster.....green with a white stinger stripe, 427 C.I. big-block with 435 H.P. They didn't offer air conditioning as an option if you went with the monster engine. I drove that beast in Florida's heat for about 13 months before I cried ' uncle ' and got rid of it. It was loud, rough riding, hot, and FAST.....everything a young guy wanted, until he had to live with the thing on a daily basis.

Tom
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2014
    Nice work, great cars!
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2014
    Well done, Tom! Those are some neat cars!
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2014
    Howdy You Rascal,

What a stunning collection,
    and very nicely shot !!!

Can't even imagine being
    in that Company of Cars.

Kindest Regards !!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2014
    Nice cars!

My father had a '63 Vette (327, 4-spd w/4.56 gears) and I learned how to drive a 4-speed in that car. thumb.gif

Sadly my dad sold it a few years ago, :cry
    edited August 11, 2014
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice work, great cars!

Hey Cristóbal,

I appreciate the visit. Great cars, for sure.

Take care,

Tom
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2014
    Beautiful cars and captures man... Vrooom, Vrooom!!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited August 11, 2014
    moose135 wrote: »
    Well done, Tom! Those are some neat cars!

What's really neat, John, is that the exhibitors of these cars ( be it the owner or a representative ) are willing to tell you all about their car. I wish I could remember all the info I garner at these affairs.

See you,

Tom
    edited August 11, 2014
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy You Rascal,

What a stunning collection,
    and very nicely shot !!!

Can't even imagine being
    in that Company of Cars.

Kindest Regards !!!

I knew, Craig, that if I posted a few car shots, I could get you to surface. I can't wait until you retire....maybe then we'll get a steady dose of the stunning photography you can turn out.

You and KK take care,

Tom
    edited August 11, 2014
    Nice cars!

My father had a '63 Vette (327, 4-spd w/4.56 gears) and I learned how to drive a 4-speed in that car. thumb.gif

Sadly my dad sold it a few years ago, :cry

Well, I didn't learn to drive in my '67 but I damn well perfected the practice of starting off in third gear when on wet roads. Keep in mind that the tire technology of those times was no where near what it is today. Street tires were a lot skinnier back then. Let a little moisture get on the road and 1st and 2nd gear in that big-block bomber were almost useless.

Take care,

Tom
    edited August 11, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    Beautiful cars and captures man... Vrooom, Vrooom!!

Thanks, Eric. Vrooom, vroom is very descriptive. My car had the side exhaust pipes that exited right by your ears. I drove it to Key West from Jacksonville once....couldn't hear worth a crap for quite a while after getting there. Never took the car on a long trip after that.

Take care, buddy,

Tom