Options

drop down menu on new Smug - made my own

DeeRichDeeRich Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
edited September 15, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
Need to make sure what I have done appears OK on others computers.

I wanted to make my own drop down menu because I have a category with 9 galleries and want a drop down menu in each of the 9 galleries, linking to all the others (the category has its own domain name as do some of the other categories with lots of galleries). I finished one with 8 galleries in the category, using the easy, gorgeous drop-down menu provided in the new Smug, but it was time-consuming, tedious, and blinding. (The breadcrumb would be wonderful "if" it did not have the home page link.)

Anyway, I searched Dgrin and found this great link.
Took me TWO days (I am not a guru and had to do a LOT of trial and error), but it looks really good, almost identical to the menu that is provided on the new Smug except for the subtle shading around the white box. Anyway, now I will use it for other categories that have numerous galleries; will copy and paste the one I just did into the HTML/CSS box (Customize, Site) of one of the galleries, change the links, then copy and paste to the rest of the galleries in "that" category. Done in just a few minutes.
Here's the thing: I had trouble finding a code (in the link above) to CENTER the whole thing, but finally discovered something that works. I would LOVE for someone, or several, to look at the link and make sure it is centered on your computers (and see if the drop down is working OK).
THANKS IN ADVANCE!
DeeRich

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited September 15, 2014
    DeeRich wrote: »
    That link requires a password to view it.

--- Denise
  • Options
    That link requires a password to view it.

--- Denise

Thanks, Denise! I totally forgot. Please try again.

DeeRich
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    DeeRich wrote: »
    ...I totally forgot. Please try again.
    The drop works fine and looks good but some of the pages / folders / galleries are missing the home link. If you're going to use this menu it needs to be on all of the pages. I'm guessing that this was a preview and you just haven't yet added your menu to all of the pages yet.

I actually would prefer to have this menu set combined with the link at the top of the page. I find it a bit disconcerting to need to look for a second set of links. (It's entirely possible that's just me though...).

--- Denise
  • Options
    The drop works fine and looks good but some of the pages / folders / galleries are missing the home link. If you're going to use this menu it needs to be on all of the pages. I'm guessing that this was a preview and you just haven't yet added your menu to all of the pages yet.

I actually would prefer to have this menu set combined with the link at the top of the page. I find it a bit disconcerting to need to look for a second set of links. (It's entirely possible that's just me though...).

--- Denise

Denise, thank you. Yes, I have not copied and pasted it yet to all the other galleries in the category; just wanted to make sure first that the "Home" was right smack in the middle (horizontally). The code did not ask for a "left", "Center", "Right" option...I discovered it by accident, and it only appeared in the middle when I typed in "100". Looks perfect on my screen...wanted to make sure it did on others, also.

Thanks for your suggestion about adding the other link (upper right), but it is like a "help/info" link and is set up on the site-wide customization, whereas the drop down will be only in certain galleries/categories.

Thanks again.