Options

My Kind of Place

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited May 6, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
I shot this place while on a quick trip to the Appalachians last week.

mountains%203-15-14%20002-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2014
    Great barn and superb shot. Nicely done.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2014
    Lovely barn. thumb.gif So many possibilities for further shooting.

Don

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2014
    Juano wrote: »
    Great barn and superb shot. Nicely done.

Thanks, Cristóbal. There's some old rusted-out farm equipment near this place that I'll shoot next time I'm by that way.

See you,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2014
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Lovely barn. thumb.gif So msny possibilities for further shooting.

Don

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

You're right, Don. There's a few spots in that scene that I'll be zeroing in on next time I'm there. It was well below freezing when I jumped out of the car and dashed across the tundra to get this shot.....with one eye open wide to detect any canine greeters.

Take care brother,

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2014
    Wonder if someone lives there. I see a rocking chair, etc making it look kinda homey. Interesting place.
  • Options
    FiddlestixFiddlestix Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2014
    Very nice image! When I first saw it I thought, wow, there are a lot of photo opportunities here and then I read Don's reply. Seems like a consensus that this place deserves a return visit or two or three, particularly early AM at sunset. Great find Tom!
    Images from SE Asia - some like it HOT
    http://fiddlefoto.smugmug.com

Cheers!
    Stix
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2014
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Wonder if someone lives there. I see a rocking chair, etc making it look kinda homey. Interesting place.

Hi Mary,

No one lives in this old barn but it does come into frequent use. Directly across the road is the Mast Farm Inn....a beautiful old home that's operated as an up-scale B&B. Dinner services are available to others, besides those staying at the inn, and I've had some really memorable feasts there. This old barn is surrounded by massive gardens that produce much of the food served at the inn. An adjacent old home, barely visible to the left of this barn, has long been abandoned.

An interesting note: the owners of the inn, utilizing another structure on the property, at one time offered a small fleet of Porsches ( seven or eight, I believe ) for short-term rental to those seeking to enhance their mountain driving fun.mwink.gif I rented a 911 Cabriolet Turbo for three days. Frankly, that was probably the worse choice in cars I could have made. I would have had more fun in a Mazda Miata.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2014
    Fiddlestix wrote: »
    Very nice image! When I first saw it I thought, wow, there are a lot of photo opportunities here and then I read Don's reply. Seems like a consensus that this place deserves a return visit or two or three, particularly early AM at sunset. Great find Tom!

Hey Stix,

It's great to hear from your quarters. You can bet that I'm not through shooting this old barn and surrounding area....photo ops are just everywhere.

Tom
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2014
    What an interesting looking place, Tom! Well done!
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2014
    moose135 wrote: »
    What an interesting looking place, Tom! Well done!

Thanks, John. This place is in Valle Crucis, near Boone. I gave the Valle Crucis area much consideration when trying to decide where to build my new mountain house. Ultimately, I jumped a little further east into Tennessee for that purpose....much better because of Tennessee's more favorable taxing situation ( no state income tax...along with other less obtrusive taxes ).

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2014
    Awesome photo. Wish I had more time to browse dgrin... miss y'all.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2014
    DJT wrote: »
    Awesome photo. Wish I had more time to browse dgrin... miss y'all.

Well, David, that " missing " part goes both directions. I've wondered what you've been up to. Still got your beautiful Ford? I hope you can find the time to treat us to some of your work....been too long.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2014
    Howdy Pard,

Love your new mountain home. Especially love the paint that you picked out rolleyes1.gif

BTW, nice shot thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2014
    rwells wrote: »
    Howdy Pard,

Love your new mountain home. Especially love the paint that you picked out rolleyes1.gif

BTW, nice shot thumb.gif

Funny you should say that, Randy. I gave a lot of consideration to the styling of this old barn when laying out the design for the new mountain home. I will, in fact, incorporate some of the design elements seen here into the new home....the biggest difference, though, is that the new place will be limited to a single-story layout. Fortunately, I've got plenty of land to work with so I can avoid the necessity of having any home that requires a second ( or even a third ) level. But, rest assured, the new home will have a decidedly barn-like look to it.

Take care buddy,

Tom
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2014
    As long as this place doesn't smell.....I would like it!
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    As long as this place doesn't smell.....I would like it!

Aw....come on, Taz. Where's your sense of adventure? Nothing beats rising in the morning to the scent of pig poop and chicken crap. Dodging cow dung throughout the day may even portend the advent of a new Olympic sport....got to give the underprivileged nations a shot at winning some medals.

The mountain folks have some unique lifestyle traits. Once you break the code of their thought processes, even an outsider like me can learn to enjoy stomping through fields of rotted vegetables and mildewed hay. Gee, just the thought of such delicacies makes my nostrils flair.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2014
    Aw....come on, Taz. Where's your sense of adventure? Nothing beats rising in the morning to the scent of pig poop and chicken crap. Dodging cow dung throughout the day may even portend the advent of a new Olympic sport....got to give the underprivileged nations a shot at winning some medals.

The mountain folks have some unique lifestyle traits. Once you break the code of their thought processes, even an outsider like me can learn to enjoy stomping through fields of rotted vegetables and mildewed hay. Gee, just the thought of such delicacies makes my nostrils flair.

Take care my friend,

Tom

You had me at pig poop and chicken crap!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2014
    Can we explore that place when we meet up? Good stuff.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2014
    redleash wrote: »
    Can we explore that place when we meet up? Good stuff.

You bet we can. In fact, Lauren, that Valle Crucis area has more old barn photo ops than you can shoot in a day. You're in for a real treat.

I hope you're doing well,

Tom
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2014
    Hi Christina,

Thanks for looking in. Old barns and other dilapidated farm structures have long fascinated me. I've been on a long-time mission to record as many of these things as I can. More and more of them are disappearing from the landscape as they are being scavenged for the weathered wood in them. Decorators and builders use this old material in new creations. Sadly, several of my all-time favorite barns have fallen prey to this practice.

Tom
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2014
    Wow. I'd love to see that place.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2014
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Wow. I'd love to see that place.

Thanks for the visit, Don. I'd love to see your interpretation of some of these old structures.

Take care,

Tom