Exchanging Photoshop Action Files

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited February 19, 2004 in Finishing School
Is there an easy way to exchange Photoshop Action (.ATN) files with other dgriners? I'd like to be able to either attach an action file to a post, or at least put a link to the action file in a post.

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Is there an easy way to exchange Photoshop Action (.ATN) files with other dgriners? I'd like to be able to either attach an action file to a post, or at least put a link to the action file in a post.
    I guess I should clarify one thing. I realize that if I had an action file up on the web I could put a link to it in a dgrin post. The problem is that I don't have a convenient place to put action files. So part of my question is - where is a good place to put action files to make them accessible over the web?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    Cletus, save me the time of looking it up - what does the action file show/do? Is it merely a record of each step in processing an image?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Cletus, save me the time of looking it up - what does the action file show/do? Is it merely a record of each step in processing an image?
    Short answer is yes.

An Action File actually contains a set of Actions. Each Action is a series of steps that were recorded while working on an image. An Action isn't necessarily a complete record of every step performed on a particular image it's just a sequence of one or more steps. Also once an Action is recorded it can be edited by removing steps, adding new steps, or reordering the steps. They're a pretty powerful tool.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 18, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Short answer is yes.

An Action File actually contains a set of Actions. Each Action is a series of steps that were recorded while working on an image. An Action isn't necessarily a complete record of every step performed on a particular image it's just a sequence of one or more steps. Also once an Action is recorded it can be edited by removing steps, adding new steps, or reordering the steps. They're a pretty powerful tool.
    In Kelby's book on PS for the Digital Photgrapher he suggested recording an action to enlarge your image 10% which I did in PS 7 - so to enlarge an image I just press whatever Keystroke I recorded and bam bam bam 110% 121% 133% 147% - whatever until you have the enlargement you need .

Nice suggestion Cletus - might be useful for all of use to have this available on dgrin.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2004
    Sounds like a macro. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited February 19, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Sounds like a macro. ne_nau.gif
    Exactly.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?