edited March 4, 2015 in Mind Your Own Business
Recent Craigslist:
Construction Site Photography Needed

00q0q_2iWwY1g5hEG_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map) (yahoo map)

compensation: no pay

Hello,

We are a well-established commercial landscape developer with projects throughout the Bay Area looking for some high-res action shots of our crew members hard at work along with some shots of the projects themselves. This is an ideal opportunity for a student or even an aspiring amateur to get some experience, add to your portfolio, make some contacts at the largest contractor of our kind in the industry, + More.

We currently have a project in Menlo Park that would be a great place to start, get a sample of your work, and evaluate the possiblity having more work for you with some potential compensation.

My response:

Hi,

I am offering landscape contractors like yourself the opportunity to gain valuable experience
along with fantastic promotional visibility.

While I am unable to offer any pay at this time, once my neighbors see my yard transformed from the current unsightly dead grass into a thing of beauty your phone
will be ringing off the hook!!

Looking forward to promoting your services through my new front yard!!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2015
    Awesome!
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2015
    Laughing.gif! So... any response yet? Hehe. :D
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2015
    pmbpro wrote: »
    Laughing.gif! So... any response yet? Hehe. :D

No response......I didn't expect any. What the heck could they say?

Just a sign of the times. :cry

Sam
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 31, 2015
  • Options
    JerrodmythJerrodmyth Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 8, 2015
    Hey Sam if they respond are interested in going national, I have a challenge for them down here in Texas.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2015
    Jerrodmyth wrote: »
    Hey Sam if they respond are interested in going national, I have a challenge for them down here in Texas.

Welcome to Digital Grin.

Folks like this want to get free stuff................. but just ask them for free stuff!

Sam
  • Options
    GastrocnemiusGastrocnemius Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2015
    As good a place as any to say hello again to Dgrinners after several years away.

This is the second post I read after deciding to consider again using my camera to put food on the table... so very timely.

Reminds me of the time a couple of friends of friends offered me the chance to shoot themselves, their child and their dog in 'various locations and some nice studio shots'.

"It would look great in your portfolio and we'll treat you to a curry for your trouble", they went on to say.

I politley declined. Although I regret not getting a shot of their beautiful dog, I am otherwise emotionally intact.

Stephen
  • Options
    Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2015
    The reason why it's so hard to make it as a photographer nowadays though is there's always someone who doesn't have such qualms (and probably not the experience or gear either) about doing work for free (or for 'exposure').

Everyone and their dog it seems have DSLRs nowadays and think they could at the drop of the hat quit their day job and become professional photographers!
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Welcome to Digital Grin.

Folks like this want to get free stuff................. but just ask them for free stuff!

Sam

How true how true!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53