Options

SF Lava

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited November 29, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Slacker's hill point of view for Golden Gate! Story goes that it was named slacker's hill for the army recruits that slacked off and had to run up this hill! Some huffin and puffin but reward is worth it......I think.
In 5-shot panos, you can see Angel island, Alcatraz, Bay bridge, SF whole city, Fort Baker, South San Francisco on far right, and Golden Gate! Took me few tries to get something presentable.

All criticism and kind comments heartily cherished!

1)
1W7A0924-Edit-X3.jpg

2)
1W7A0938-Edit-X3.jpg

3)
1W7A0939-Edit-X3.jpg

4)
1W7A9313-Edit-X3.jpg

5)
1W7A9331-Edit-X3.jpg

6)
1W7A9599-X3.jpg

7)
1W7A0916-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2015
    Wonderful series Taz!clap.gifclap
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,179 moderator
    edited November 20, 2015
    #'s 2 and 5 are the winners for me. Jet taking off in #5? Nice work!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »

15524779-Ti.gif They are all great (as usual) but these two get my..."You gotta be kidding"...good award!clap.gif

Take care,

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited November 20, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    Wonderful series Taz!clap.gifclap

Thanks Cristobal! thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif They are all great (as usual) but these two get my..."You gotta be kidding"...good award!clap.gif

Take care,

Wayne

Many thanks David and Wayne! wings.gifbow

I can't explain the Jet taking off except it must have happened a moment before I killed my exposure which was over 20 minutes long.eek7.gif Usually you just get streaks you have to clean up but here it came out okay and maybe added a point of interest! Thanks kindly!
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2015
    Hey Bum

Excellent work

Marin Headlands... one of my favorite shooting spots

Once a month you can get the sunset and moonrise within an hour or so

Here is a website that can tell you the times of the setting/rising - sun/moon (civil twilight is best)

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

The moon rises over the Oakland Hills left of the Bay Bridge

I haven't been over there since they got the lights up on the new span; it might be a great shot
    Rags
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2015
    torags wrote: »
    Hey Bum

Excellent work

Marin Headlands... one of my favorite shooting spots

Once a month you can get the sunset and moonrise within an hour or so

Here is a website that can tell you the times of the setting/rising - sun/moon (civil twilight is best)

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

The moon rises over the Oakland Hills left of the Bay Bridge

I haven't been over there since they got the lights up on the new span; it might be a great shot

Thanks Rags! I had no idea these are your favorite haunting grounds! Oh it would be great if I run into you! Day before full moon, usually that works out as moonrise is an hour or so before sunset so you can capture it in dusk. I have not tried it yet. Have not had much success with moon. Either it keeps washing out, or acts like a star. I have tried -3 stops.......only when it is low to horizon, do I ever get something without being blown.....

Tried this on cloudy evening.....so it was partially responsible for mush....however there were times when full moon was available....I just don't know how to expose it.....that and ability to overlay correctly exposed moon with rest of the image....things I would love to figure out....

1W7A4441-X3.jpg
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2015
    EV on moon shots....

In my experience I try to get the shot in civil twilight before the dynamic range gets out of hand

In darkness at earth crust I like at least S priority 125s or more for moon shot.

I used to think the moon was moving, but I was reminded it was the earth moving.

In any event there's motion and it has to be stopped (for sharpness) - I override AF with M when the AF is popping around in the view finder

Averaging EV doesn't work to good either

I think the best shot is two shots - EV + focus for moon and EV + focus near moon glow (especially if there are cumulus clouds near glow)

BTW... if you have to travel to the Headlands - wait for a high pressure system (keeps the fog at Bay - pun intended) or else the sun can set @ 3pm

That said, the moon color can be spectacular with the atmospheric interference before it gets to high

Good luck
    Rags
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2015
    torags wrote: »
    EV on moon shots....

In my experience I try to get the shot in civil twilight before the dynamic range gets out of hand

In darkness at earth crust I like at least S priority 125s or more for moon shot.

I used to think the moon was moving, but I was reminded it was the earth moving.

In any event there's motion and it has to be stopped (for sharpness) - I override AF with M when the AF is popping around in the view finder

Averaging EV doesn't work to good either

I think the best shot is two shots - EV + focus for moon and EV + focus near moon glow (especially if there are cumulus clouds near glow)

BTW... if you have to travel to the Headlands - wait for a high pressure system (keeps the fog at Bay - pun intended) or else the sun can set @ 3pm

That said, the moon color can be spectacular with the atmospheric interference before it gets to high

Good luck

Thanks Rags!bowdown.gif
    I will go through it few times to figure it out and try it! Can't say thanks enough for dropping the knowledge!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
    edited November 21, 2015
    Gorgeous set. Agree with everyone about 2 and 5. I enjoyed the quirkiness of #6 as well. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    Gorgeous set. Agree with everyone about 2 and 5. I enjoyed the quirkiness of #6 as well. thumb.gif

Thanks Richard! Really appreciate it....especially for #6! Cheers!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 28, 2015
    4 and 5 just blow me away. :wow What an awesome vantage point you stumbled upon here. nod.gif

Great stuff, man. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    4 and 5 just blow me away. :wow What an awesome vantage point you stumbled upon here. nod.gif

Great stuff, man. thumb.gif

Hey there....guru! Your teachings at work!! Now I can't stop shooting panos wether it is warranted or not!:D
    Anytime you want to go.......I have only taken 1 day off whole year and won't be taking any but will be local for holidays....
    Cheers!wings.gifbow
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2015
    Sweet images!
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2015
    Nice set, Taz. Especially like #2. Reminds me again that the coolest shots sometimes take a lot of effort to get. Great work.
    Bryan
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2015
    J Allen wrote: »
    Sweet images!

Thanks Allen! Appreciate it much!
    Eldon Shea wrote: »
    Nice set, Taz. Especially like #2. Reminds me again that the coolest shots sometimes take a lot of effort to get. Great work.
    Bryan

Thanks Bryan! Its about 40 min hike and 2 hour drive in one direction...and then city traffic jam....your kind comments mean it was all worth it! Cheers!
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,829 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2015
    I've come back and looked at these about 5 times - they are so georgeous. Thanks for making the trip to take the pictures!

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2015
    I've come back and looked at these about 5 times - they are so georgeous. Thanks for making the trip to take the pictures!

Cheers, Sara

Thanks Sara!!! Can't say that enough!
  • Options
    The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2015
    Great set, I really liked #2 and #5. I stopped and stared as #6 for a bit (in a good way), really good capture.
    ____Motoception Photography____
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2015
    Great set, I really liked #2 and #5. I stopped and stared as #6 for a bit (in a good way), really good capture.

Thanks Destroyer! I appreciate the feedback very much! Cheers!