David Jay, SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited April 9, 2012 in Weddings
[imgl]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/472875987_ULC63-O.jpg[/imgl] We're really excited and fortunate to announce that David Jay has become SmugMug's newest Artist-in-Residence! What does this mean for you? Stay tuned here for instruction, Q&A, tips, techniques, critiques, workshops, demonstrations, and more.

Got questions? Ask 'em here!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    bowdown.gif I just love this:

331397267_NvFek-L-2.jpg

I'd love for David to tell us more about this pic - how it came to be, what the clients think of it, too :D

More.
  • Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Yeah!! clap.gifclapclap.gif

Over this past year now we have worked with DJ on various small projects and he never ceases to amaze me. He has this relaxed, sort of contagious personality that seems to lift up everyone around him. He truly loves helping others with no hidden agenda, which makes for a perfect SmugMug A-i-R.

More great things to come!

Markham
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Ah HAH! This is so exciting! Welcome!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 19, 2008
    Excellent news. clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    So cool on that one!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    :smo :smo

(Not as cool as that shot, but it's the Dgrinny version lol3.gif)

Welcome DJ and this is awesome!
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Welcome aboard. Once again, DGrin comes through. What a great forum and website.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Welcome! It's an honor to have you with us :)
  • davidjaydavidjay Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    I am so stoked to be here and even more excited about all SmugMug is doing for us wedding photographers! Post up any questions you have and thanks for the warm welcome.

My goal is to surpass Andy in posts by 2090 but I'll probably surpass Markham today. ;)

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

"A true measure of your worth includes all the benefits others have gained from your success."
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited December 19, 2008
    Welcome David. clap.gif

What was your favorite wedding to shoot?

What sets you and your style of photography apart from your competition?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Welcome to dgrin and smugmug David! I'm sure we could all learn a thing or two from you.

Thanks for all your help also with Showit sites. I still have to iron out a lot of details, but I placed my new site at: http://pridhamphotography.com. I am using Smugmug now as my client proofing. :D

Once again, smugmug has raised the bar. clap.gif
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited December 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    bowdown.gif I just love this:

331397267_NvFek-L-2.jpg

I'd love for David to tell us more about this pic - how it came to be, what the clients think of it, too :D

More.
    This was kind of a funny situation b/c the groom really wanted to do this shot, and I'm always up for whatever they're up for, but the brides heals were a recipe for disaster so one of the groomsmen let her borrow his shows which makes the shot hilarious! The couple loves the image and I wish I could take credit for the idea but it was all them.

I've gotta blast out for a couple of meetings this morning but I'll be back on this afternoon. Sweet!

Happy Friday!
    DJ

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

"A true measure of your worth includes all the benefits others have gained from your success."
  • ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Welcome
    Welcome David,
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • mdruizmdruiz Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    When are you coming to Orlando?
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    welcome welcome!! clap.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Awesome news! Welcome, can't wait to start following, reading and learning more from all your stuff!
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    :jawdrop Welcome ! :jawdrop
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    davidjay wrote:
    I am so stoked to be here and even more excited about all SmugMug is doing for us wedding photographers! Post up any questions you have and thanks for the warm welcome.

My goal is to surpass Andy in posts by 2090 but I'll probably surpass Markham today. ;)

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!! :encore

... 42,755 posts??? Uhm yeah Andy, you might have a problem!! headscratch.gifrofl

Can't wait to see you in the wedding forum clap.gif Haha, I'm gonna go and pack my stuff now :tiptoe
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Yeah I was wondering what was up after I saw he made a few responses in the forum. I was like damn he's a big dog to be barking up these alleys. Glad to have you, welcome to smugmug, now all you have to do is start swinging a "smug strap" like I do at my jobs ;P. Maybe you would consider taking some of the more experienced wedding shooters as seconds when you are in our areas? Just a thought. I live in Bodymore Murdaland but I'll travel to the district for the opportunity.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Blurmore wrote:
    Yeah I was wondering what was up after I saw he made a few responses in the forum. I was like damn he's a big dog to be barking up these alleys. Glad to have you, welcome to smugmug, now all you have to do is start swinging a "smug strap" like I do at my jobs ;P. Maybe you would consider taking some of the more experienced wedding shooters as seconds when you are in our areas? Just a thought. I live in Bodymore Murdaland but I'll travel to the district for the opportunity.
    wave.gif - Welcome

I second the motion. I live near Virginia Beach VA and would be willing travel quite some distance for the opportunity.
    edited December 19, 2008
    Ham1 wrote:
    Yeah!! clap.gifclapclap.gif

Over this past year now we have worked with DJ on various small projects and he never ceases to amaze me. He has this relaxed, sort of contagious personality that seems to lift up everyone around him. He truly loves helping others with no hidden agenda, which makes for a perfect SmugMug A-i-R.

More great things to come!

Markham
    Hey thanks Markham. I found that I can do very little all by myself and it's really no fun doing it that way anyway. Seeing how you guys approach business and how the community here has been developed because of it has been a huge inspiration to me and I know there are lots of good things ahead!

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

edited December 19, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    :smo :smo

(Not as cool as that shot, but it's the Dgrinny version lol3.gif)

Welcome DJ and this is awesome!
    That is hilarious! rolleyes1.gif

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

edited December 19, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Welcome David. clap.gif

What was your favorite wedding to shoot?

What's up Ziggy! :) I would say my favorite wedding was for my friend Jasmine Star who was in law school at the time and a year after her wedding decided to drop out and become a wedding photographer and is now producing some of the most jaw droppingly (word?) beautiful photography I've ever seen. Here's a slideshow from her wedding. :)

ziggy53 wrote:
    What sets you and your style of photography apart from your competition?
    :) Oh that's a tough one. I'm the first to admit that there are MANY photographers out there who are far better artists than I am and I am constantly inspired by them. One of my mentors Jeff Jochum told me that in weddings it's interesting b/c "we're selling a sophisticated product to an unsophisticated client." Isn't this so true! A bride or groom rarely knows the difference between a good photo and a great photo but they do know the difference between good service and great service and so I've been careful to balance that in there since my tendency as an artist is to over value the art and under value everything else.

So back to your question :) ... on the shooting side I love to document in a very fluid style. Rolling with what comes and not "expecting" to much. I like to be real and capture what's real and my clients are attracted to that. I don't do a ton of posing but I do a little bit when I think it'll help them feel more comfortable.

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

edited December 19, 2008
    davidjay wrote:
    ... I like to be real and capture what's real and my clients are attracted to that. ...

I know what you mean. The bride's mother liked this (I was just setting up for the formals):
    ziggy53
    edited December 19, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I know what you mean. The bride's mother liked this (I was just setting up for the formals):
    Dude that is awesome!

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

edited December 20, 2008
    David,

Thanks for the insights into your thoughts and thanks "ever" so much for the kind compliment about my image. Coming from you it is indeed high praise.
    ziggy53
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    Welcome, so awesome! wings.gif :smo

I hope we've given you that warm and fuzzy welcome-feeling lol3.gif

Our wedding forums is relatively new, but it's also growing ridiculously fast with some very good stuff!
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    Another Welcome
    Hi David!

Welcome from me too. We need all the inspiration and humor we can get. I am sure we met (maybe at WPPI?) or chatted elsewhere.

I like your fun and fresh style as well as your sense of humor. As someone who took Shay Steven's workshop through Dgrin, I hope you will offer a similar opportunity to the members here. It was a very worthwhile experience for me.

And if you are ever down my way in LA, have your girl call my girl and...we can do lunch. We can actually set up a play date for dgrinners at my little studio.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited December 20, 2008
    Blurmore wrote:
    You bet! I *possibly* have a couple of weddings in LA this next year so maybe we need to make one or both of them a SmugMug event! I definitely have one of those sweet smug straps. Those things are niiiiice! thumb.gif

davidjay
    www.davidjay.com

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2008
    davidjay,

What got you into photography, let alone wedding photography? And where do you see this field/industry going in the next couple years?

It's gonna be so cool that you are here with us! Come to NJ sometime!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
This discussion has been closed.