6 recent street activities (6 images)

triangulartriangular Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited December 29, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I'm new here but I like DGrin because it has a darker skin better for showing photographs and also easier on the eyes. Also because I know a lot of members are Smugmugians and make up a more serious crowd. After the feedback received on my first image (Crazy 8), I felt like sharing a few more. All C&C are welcomed, and if you feel like it you are also welcomed to comment anything in my small flickr stream. Here are six very different recent activities on my busy streets:

5280645583_c398c3538a_z.jpg
Reorient by triangular, on Flickr

5227295946_1070e3b39b.jpg
Candid Rail Car by triangular, on Flickr

5277701378_e24770128d.jpg
Summer In The City by triangular, on Flickr

5273647330_1dc4795e02_z.jpg
Social Security by triangular, on Flickr

5265440956_e6d2b86cb5.jpg
Politician Day by triangular, on Flickr

5267467179_c92101e283_z.jpg
Penny Lane by triangular, on Flickr

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 22, 2010
    I think #4 is powerful.
  • triangulartriangular Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    I think #4 is powerful.

Thanks Richard. Yeah I kind of slipped that one in there between the fun ones. I think #4 is one of the best I've done lately, and its also very simple. I'm really happy about that one. If I could keep everything on par with that, I suppose I could make a pretty good living.
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    I agree on #4, That is a strong image. Unfortunately, your bright vignetting robbed it of its glory. I believe you are still trying out post-processing techniques, that is OK. If I may suggest - start first on better composition then after that play on your post-processing skills. Great start. thumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
    edited December 22, 2010
    jiro wrote: »
    I agree on #4, That is a strong image. Unfortunately, your bright vignetting robbed it of its glory. I believe you are still trying out post-processing techniques, that is OK. If I may suggest - start first on better composition then after that play on your post-processing skills. Great start. thumb.gif

I appreciate your comments, but I am not new to pp. The whole image is actually very dark and after having cropped it, I felt it needed better framing, so it is partially a matter of composition but the truth is I just couldn't get as physically close as I wanted to. I did try a darker vignette but this made the scene appear too flat overall. After playing around with the soft white vignette, I really thought it lended a more traditional soft portrait look, and even a touch of beauty to what is usually a very harsh image. I liked that kind of irony and contrast and I think it works.

However you are not the only one who has made reference to the white vignette, so I guess I'll go back and look at other choices. Perhaps just a different border would work. Thanks for the feedback.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    FWIW, I like the white vignette frame. For me, it implies coldness and adds impact.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
    edited December 29, 2010
    billseye wrote: »
    FWIW, I like the white vignette frame. For me, it implies coldness and adds impact.

Thanks I appreciate that, I tend to feel the same about it. It is unexpected, and maybe that is what unsettles some people. I think it works.