Super basic question

QueenQueen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited November 20, 2007 in Cameras
I've been using my little HP point and shoot for a couple of years now (it's my first digital camera), and I'm ready for something with "more".

What I'd like to move up to:

1. Something a little better, something with a real viewfinder and that actually takes the picture when I click the shutter (as opposed to the second or two delay I have now).

2. Something a little bigger that I can really hold on to.

3. Something that will let me do a few manual things as my skills improve.

I know nothing about cameras...so is there a nice camera out there that could meet the above requirements (hopefully under $300)?

Thanks!

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    For a new camera that price might be hinderence unlessyou'd be willing to buy used, until your ready for a DSLR.....if used would not pose a prob then I suggest looking on ebay for slightly used Konica Minolta A2 or A200...these cameras will let you have total manual control or let you shoot in Program, Aperature or Shutter Priority...the viewfinder is an electronic one so manual focusing is fun waiting for the viewfinder to catch up but shutter lag is really short....what I really liked about mine is the fact that I could move the focus point any where in the viewfinder I wanted....it was a true floating focus point so I had no need for manual focus.....I wish all the time I had never sold it for my normal shooting of landscapes, flowers and other non moving subjects....it had a non removable 28-200mm lens equiv.

From What sony has told me they do not have a camera with all the features of the A2....which really bites.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• nickatnitenickatnite Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Hey Queen!!!!! wave.gif

Another one you might want to look at is the Sony DSC H series. I'm shooting a Sony DSC H2 (6 mp camera) right now and it takes great photos. I'm soon to upgrade to a SLR, but I happy with what I got.

The cool thing about the Sony is that is has the live LCD screen and viewfinder, You also have the option to turn off the LCD and use nothing but the viewfinder. There are several places that sell them for under 300 bucks.

Most of my pics on here and ADV came from that camera or my Pentax W30. Also keep in mind that more mega pixels is not always better, unless you are gonna do a LOT of quality printing and cropping for specific items. Prolly 90-95% of the general camera public will not utilize anything over a 6-7 mp DSLR.

I just posted a new thread on here in Wildlife from what I shot this past Sat, take a look.

Nick
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Hi Queen!

Allow me to attempt to redeem myself.

I bought a new camera in August, and did an inordinate amount of research leading up to the purchase. There are a few good threads at ADV about cameras -- Fish just bought a new point-and-shoot, and there are some threads in the equimpent forum as well.

dpreview.com has a ton of great information, but it is organized by manufacturer, so unless you know what specs you want, it can be difficult to search.

you mentioned some important considerations

size
    viewfinder
    manual modes

There are few others to consider

storage medium (SD vs. Compact Flash vs. XD) - do you own some already?
    battery type (rechargable AA vs. lithium ion)
    zoom range (4x, 6x, 12x)
    image stabilization - do you need or want it?

Off the top of my head, would suggest you take a look at the Canon A570IS & A720IS. You may even find an S3 IS around $300.

Others will have infinitely more suggestions.

--Mike
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Another good site to get good reviews is Steve's Digicams. There is an index by MP rating, a page with their current "best" group in each of several categories, and a list of their most recent reviews (read: most current models).

One thing you are looking for--instant shutter response--I have yet to see in anything short of a DSLR, and price of entry is about $600+lenses.
  • QueenQueen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies...I really wish I could "speak camera". Now I know how motorcycling n00bs feel on ADV. :D

If I'm looking at $600+ for instant shutter speed I'll have to rethink that. GB, thanks for the reminder about batteries...I prefer AA's so I can buy them anywhere when I'm traveling.

I played with a Canon EOS at Target yesterday ($559) and it was waaaay too complicated for me, I hate being stupid about things. :bash
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    I played with a Canon EOS at Target yesterday ($559) and it was waaaay too complicated for me, I hate being stupid about things. :bash[/QUOTE]

You stay stupid as long as you want, and what is stupid? We all have to learn how to use our camera's. Nobody buys a camera and knows all about it the first five seconds. The question is more whether you want to learn...
    Either you go for a digital SLR with some learning curve, and no shutterspeed delay, or you go for point and shoot, which is cheaper, no learning curve, or not as much.
    Dgrin is a great place to ask questions, and learning lots
    edited November 15, 2007
    photocat wrote:

You stay stupid as long as you want, and what is stupid? We all have to learn how to use our camera's. Nobody buys a camera and knows all about it the first five seconds. The question is more whether you want to learn...
    Either you go for a digital SLR with some learning curve, and no shutterspeed delay, or you go for point and shoot, which is cheaper, no learning curve, or not as much.
    Dgrin is a great place to ask questions, and learning lots

I find I get scared that I'm going to break something when the camera is complicated. Maybe I could buy one and try reading the book that comes with it? :D

BTW - I seriously assumed "camera guys" could pick up any camera and know how to use it...aren't they standardized? headscratch.gif
    edited November 15, 2007
    Queen wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies...I really wish I could "speak camera". Now I know how motorcycling n00bs feel on ADV. :D

If I'm looking at $600+ for instant shutter speed I'll have to rethink that.

As for 'instant shutter speed', some of that time is the auto-focus working and some of it is the image capture itself. You can set the auto-focus on some cameras to 'continuous' or 'shot-only'. If it is continuously focusing as you compose your shot, that should remove some of your lag time. A really fast memory card can help with that as well - an SD card that writes at 60X is pretty quick.

The Canon A-series take AA's, have manual modes, viewfinders, and a bit of a 'grip' on them. The A570 IS retails for less than $200, giving you some buffer space for a case, rechargable AA's and a charger, and a big fast memory card. thumb.gif

I'm done, I promise.
    edited November 15, 2007
    Grainbelt wrote:
    As for 'instant shutter speed', some of that time is the auto-focus working and some of it is the image capture itself. You can set the auto-focus on some cameras to 'continuous' or 'shot-only'. If it is continuously focusing as you compose your shot, that should remove some of your lag time. A really fast memory card can help with that as well - an SD card that writes at 60X is pretty quick.

The Canon A-series take AA's, have manual modes, viewfinders, and a bit of a 'grip' on them. The A570 IS retails for less than $200, giving you some buffer space for a case, rechargable AA's and a charger, and a big fast memory card. thumb.gif

I'm done, I promise.
    You don't have to be done, I really appreciate the advice. thumb.gif
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Queen wrote:
    I find I get scared that I'm going to break something when the camera is complicated. Maybe I could buy one and try reading the book that comes with it? :D

BTW - I seriously assumed "camera guys" could pick up any camera and know how to use it...aren't they standardized? headscratch.gif

Reading the book is a good start. THere are basics that are the same on all camera's, you look through the viewfinder and press the button to take a photograph, so that is standard. But even experienced photographers have to figure out how their new camera works and take a bit of time to learn how to work with it. 600 dollar should be enough for a pretty fast camera that you can put on auto, so all you have to do is press the button.
    I have had my camera for a year and a half, and I still pick up the book now and then... What you might go and look for is a bridge camera. Go to a camera store, and handle some camera's. So you know how they feel... and then decide. Good luck
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    You might consider the Fujifilm S6000fd, which is what I currently use. It's an advanced SLR like P&S. It has automatic modes, as well as full manual. It has the best zoom I've seen on a camera like it, you manually turn the ring to zoom in and out, like on an SLR lens. It's currently $319 refurbished from Fuji:

http://store.fujifilmmall.com/product.asp?sku=3675002

The zoom range is 28-300 equivalent, 10.2X. It has better low light images than almost any other non-DSLR. It has an electronic viewfinder that, while limited in resolution, is good for framing and has a reasonable refresh rate. Shutter lag is pretty good too, not quite DSLR good though. I'll answer all the questions on it that you'd like to ask (if I can)
    edited November 15, 2007
    Does anyone have one of these? I was following the links that have been posted and ended up on this one, it looks affordable and not too scary.
  • firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Queen, welcome!

I made the same change last year. I went from a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 to a Canon 20D. I made the change because I shoot mostly horses in motion so I needed the instant shutter speed and low light capabilities of the DSLR. I think the questions you need to ask yourself are: What will I be photographing? Do I like different types of photography (macro/sports/portraits etc) or is this simply to take snapshots of family?

For me the DSLR was the way to go. I still use the panasonic occasionally and I bought a cheapie P&S (think $100) to take with us that fits in my pocket when I am simply taking snapshots and am worried that the camera might be ruined. Both of the P&S cameras are great for my husband as well when he goes on his motorcycle trips. He does use the Canon, and as he says "puts it in stupid mode" which is fully automatic. He still takes wonderful pics with it in full auto.

I am constantly learning every time I use my Canon. I carry the instruction book with me all the time and refer as needed. There is a steep learning curve, but it is nothing to be afraid of, you just have to keep an open mind. Oh, and post lots of neophyte questions on the DG forums like I do!rolleyes1.gif

Good luck and let us know what you choose!
    edited November 15, 2007
    Queen wrote:
    Does anyone have one of these? I was following the links that have been posted and ended up on this one, it looks affordable and not too scary.

I don't have the S3, but I considered it. I'll quickly walk through the reasoning behind getting my Fuji instead of it. This is what I wanted, and your needs may be different, so the S3 could be better for you.

1) Low light capability: I already have a Canon P&S (A540) which is a good little camera. But, starting at ISO400, it gets very noisy. By 800, it's only for desperation. Since the S3 has a semsor with the same basic specs, I figured the performance would be similar. The Fuji is know for great low light performace. I seem to end up taking plenty of shots in museums when on trips, and I don't really like using flash much, so better low light was important to me.

2) Wide angle on the zoom. The Fuji has 28mm equiv, the Canon 36mm. At the wide end, that's a pretty big difference. If you're trying to get a shot of a building in a city, the wider angle helps alot.

Now, the S3 also has some advantages:

3) Telephoto range and total zoom: 12x instead of 10.7x. 432mm instead of 300mm. This could be significant for some, I didn't really care, I shoot more towards the wide end.

4) IS. The Canon has it, the Fuji doesn't. I've never used IS, so I can't comment on how well it works. I would have liked it, but decided that the better high ISO performace was more important to me.

Here's a comparison between the two:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_s3is%2Cfuji_finepixs6000&show=all

In most other respects, the specs are similar. It's always a tradeoff to see what features suit your shooting style and needs best.

Good luck!
    edited November 15, 2007
    Firststring - Thanks for the info and the welcome! wave.gif I'm going to keep my little HP M22 P&S for my motorcycle tankbag...I imagine I'll be pretty protective of my new "baby" when I get it. :D

jziegler - Wow, thanks for the comparison! There's a lot more to think about than I first realized. Mostly I take snapshots of my family, my father is sick with cancer and I find myself taking endless pictures of him when I'm visiting in FL. I also take a lot of nature shots (beach and waves mostly) and may consider adding a housing to whatever I buy so I can take pics while scuba diving.

Thanks again everyone, this is such a nice forum. clap.gif
    edited November 15, 2007
    Queen wrote:

wave.gif

I have the S5 IS, but they are almost the same - same lens, similar lcd, similar menus, identical functionality. The S3 is actually supposed to have slightly better image quality.

Agree with some of what jzeigler posted, with the exception being I've not used the Fuji.

--28mm would definitely be nice for landscapes.
    --Hard for me to speculate on the low-light performance at higher ISO, not having used both. Keep in mind though that a bit of noise on a computer monitor all but disappears if you have them printed, particularly at 5x7 or smaller.
    --The image stabilization is helpful in low light situations -- I can get crisp shots by using a longer exposure, rather than cranking the ISO. If you're using a tripod all the time, this is a non-issue.

Random sweetness with the S-series:

--tilting / rotating LCD screen. I use it a lot more than I thought I would. Set the camera on the ground / motorcycle / fencepost, tilt the LCD up, compose, shoot, done.

--the majority of the functions on the S are usable with gloves on. Pull it out of the tank bag, flip up the visor, shoot a picture, and move on. very nice.

--lens adapter for filters. When you want to get nerdy with your photography, the ability to use filters is nice. Not sure what the Fuji has available.

--takes AA batteries. again, not sure on the Fuji.
    edited November 15, 2007
    GB - If I end up with the S3...you're PM box is gonna be overflowing. lol3.gif
    edited November 15, 2007
    I'll keep it quick on this one. Just two points to mention.
    Grainbelt wrote:
    wave.gif

I have the S5 IS, but they are almost the same - same lens, similar lcd, similar menus, identical functionality. The S3 is actually supposed to have slightly better image quality.

Agree with some of what jzeigler posted, with the exception being I've not used the Fuji.

--28mm would definitely be nice for landscapes.
    --Hard for me to speculate on the low-light performance at higher ISO, not having used both. Keep in mind though that a bit of noise on a computer monitor all but disappears if you have them printed, particularly at 5x7 or smaller.
    --The image stabilization is helpful in low light situations -- I can get crisp shots by using a longer exposure, rather than cranking the ISO. If you're using a tripod all the time, this is a non-issue.

Random sweetness with the S-series:

--tilting / rotating LCD screen. I use it a lot more than I thought I would. Set the camera on the ground / motorcycle / fencepost, tilt the LCD up, compose, shoot, done.

--the majority of the functions on the S are usable with gloves on. Pull it out of the tank bag, flip up the visor, shoot a picture, and move on. very nice.

--lens adapter for filters. When you want to get nerdy with your photography, the ability to use filters is nice. Not sure what the Fuji has available.

--takes AA batteries. again, not sure on the Fuji.

The Fuji takes AA batteeries as well.

No lens adapter is needed on the Fuji. It has 58mm threads (not quite sure on the size, could be off) right on the lens to take filters and accessory lenses.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Queen wrote:

fIND a camera your interested in a go to the mfg'ers site and download a manual to read ahead of time.......

not all camer;s are standardized...not even with a family of cameras....there is always a touch of learning curve as one changes bodies......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited November 15, 2007
    Queen wrote:
    GB - If I end up with the S3...you're PM box is gonna be overflowing. lol3.gif

The one on ADV is your best bet, I don't check in here as frequently. I've become mildly useful with the S5, and I'd be glad to share what I've learned thus far.

The S3 really is a screaming deal at around $300.
    edited November 15, 2007
    Well, I decided to leap and ordered the S3. B&H had it for $280 and it seemed like such a good deal that I just decided to go for it.

Now I'm all excited and can't wait for it to get here. clap.gif
    edited November 15, 2007
    Queen wrote:
    Well, I decided to leap and ordered the S3. B&H had it for $280 and it seemed like such a good deal that I just decided to go for it.

Hey babe...

RSTed1000 over on ADV has that camera and it takes WONDERFUL pictures. That is what he was using on our trip to Key West to Alaska back in the summer. You will like it!!!!
    edited November 15, 2007
    nickatnite wrote:
    Hey babe...

RSTed1000 over on ADV has that camera and it takes WONDERFUL pictures. That is what he was using on our trip to Key West to Alaska back in the summer. You will like it!!!!
    SWEET! I'll have to pop over and see if I can find a few of the pics. thumb.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Queen wrote:

My first digital camera was the S2 and I learned heaps about photography using that cam. I just gave my 6yo son a lesson with it today and he's off and running! It's fun to use and you'll learn a lot too. Congrats on your purchase.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited November 16, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    My first digital camera was the S2 and I learned heaps about photography using that cam. I just gave my 6yo son a lesson with it today and he's off and running! It's fun to use and you'll learn a lot too. Congrats on your purchase.
    I just got the "order shipped" email...wow those folks are FAST! clap.gif

I feel like a little kid at Christmas. :D
    edited November 16, 2007
    One more question...now that I've got the camera on the way I'll need a bag to put it in. Any suggestions?
    edited November 16, 2007
    Queen wrote:
    One more question...now that I've got the camera on the way I'll need a bag to put it in. Any suggestions?

The one Canon sells for the S-series is too small to carry extra batteries and a charger. I stupidly bought it when I bought the camera.

I would take the camera, and whatever else you want to carry, go to a camera store, and try to put your stuff in a case.

LowePro makes good cases, some water-resistant, some not. They have a matrix on their website with every camera on the market, and bags that fit them. If you go one size up from their recommendation you'll have room for some accessories. thumb.gif
    edited November 19, 2007
    Queen wrote:
    SWEET! I'll have to pop over and see if I can find a few of the pics. thumb.gif

Hey sweet!!

Here is the linky to Ted's ride.

Reader Disclaimer for NON ADV members:
    Beware, it's got pics of me in there and there is the ever favorite ADV Salute (which is flipping one the bird).

Ted's Arctic ride

And to give you some comparison, here is my version of the ride report. These shots were taken with my Pentax Optio W30.

Nick's ride report
    edited November 20, 2007
    nickatnite wrote:
    Hey sweet!!

Here is the linky to Ted's ride.

Reader Disclaimer for NON ADV members:
    Beware, it's got pics of me in there and there is the ever favorite ADV Salute (which is flipping one the bird).

Ted's Arctic ride

And to give you some comparison, here is my version of the ride report. These shots were taken with my Pentax Optio W30.

Nick's ride report
    Nick, thanks so much for the links! I was having difficulty finding the reports with the search function out of whack.

I can't wait to get the camera and give it a go!!clap.gif

EDIT - It arrived today, I unpackaged it and looked at all the books, gizmos, a disc, straps... Got scared and put it back in the box. I'll look at it again tomorrow when I'm feeling better and see if it makes sense.