Pro user: automatic redirection from smugmug to my domain

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    I thought so but when it was in my JS it sent everything that started "stuarthil.smugmug.com..." to www.belperphoto.co.uk

so for example if im in Belperphoto home page and I click on my Galleries button which linked to "stuarthil.smugmug.com/photography" then it redirected back to Belperphoto home page, so there was no way to view the actual Galleries?

I just wanted to link to belperphoto if someone typed in "stuarthill.smugmug.com" or went to that from a external link, this code was sending EVERYTHING that started with "stuarthil.smugmug.com" back to the home page.

basically hope this makes sense...

"stuarthil.smugmug.com" redirect to "www.belperphoto.co.uk"
    "stuarthil.smugmug.com/Whatever" dont redirect to anywhere.
    You can't redirect stuarthill.smugmug.com/Photography to belperphoto.co.uk/Photography because the latter one doesn't exist.

Your smugmug pages are not set up with a custom hostname, you can't even do that since that is restricted to Pro-users only. Even if you did have it set up to a custom domain name, it would have to be different from your domain that you are using for the mac-site. You can't have belperphoto.co.uk going to your mac-homepage AND at the same time to your smugmug account. Does that make sense?

You would need to register a separate domain, or a sub-domain, such as photos.belperphoto.co.uk
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    You can't redirect stuarthill.smugmug.com/Photography to belperphoto.co.uk/Photography because the latter one doesn't exist.

I didnt want to do that I wanted to direct stuarthill.smugmug.com/Photography to belperphoto.co.uk but then realised if that is redirecting I will not be able to actually view the stuarthill.smugmug.com/Photography page!
    ivar wrote:
    Your smugmug pages are not set up with a custom hostname, you can't even do that since that is restricted to Pro-users only. Even if you did have it set up to a custom domain name, it would have to be different from your domain that you are using for the mac-site. You can't have belperphoto.co.uk going to your mac-homepage AND at the same time to your smugmug account. Does that make sense?

You would need to register a separate domain, or a sub-domain, such as photos.belperphoto.co.uk

It makes sense in as much as it means I cant do what I thought I wanted to do! but in hindsight what I wanted to do is impossible! so thanks for your help.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • MogMog Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Help...
    Don't ask why, but I stupidly attempted to add this to my JS, and now I can't even load my website: www.mog.smugmug.com redirected from www.simon-morton.co.uk

Can anyone get into my JS and remove the code please ??????
    edited October 1, 2007
    Mog wrote:
    Don't ask why, but I stupidly attempted to add this to my JS, and now I can't even load my website: www.mog.smugmug.com redirected from www.simon-morton.co.uk

Can anyone get into my JS and remove the code please ??????
    It's gone. This code can only work on a Pro-account when a custom domain has been set thumb.gif
  • MogMog Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    It's gone. This code can only work on a Pro-account when a custom domain has been set thumb.gif

Thanks Ivar, I realised that, unfortunately I'd already clicked the update button....

Thanks again.... thumb.gif
  • TiffanyTiffany Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Domain Name Directed to my Smugmug site
    I've been reading these threads and now I'm more confused headscratch.gif

I want to get a domain name: www.tiffanyfarrow.com and when people type that in, have it automatically directed to my smugmug homepage: www.tiffanyfarrow.smugmug.com so all they have to do is type my name as my website so it's a shorter address and easier for clients to remember.

Is there a way to do that? I would appreciate if anybody could give me instructions as I am new to all of this :D

Thank you for any help!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Tiffany wrote:
    I've been reading these threads and now I'm more confused headscratch.gif

I want to get a domain name: www.tiffanyfarrow.com and when people type that in, have it automatically directed to my smugmug homepage: www.tiffanyfarrow.smugmug.com so all they have to do is type my name as my website so it's a shorter address and easier for clients to remember.

Is there a way to do that? I would appreciate if anybody could give me instructions as I am new to all of this :D

Thank you for any help!
    Did you see this page?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited October 26, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Did you see this page?

Thanks!
    edited October 26, 2007
    How do I keep the address from switching?
    Allen wrote:
    Did you see this page?

When I type my new domain www.tiffanyfarrow.com it works great and brings me right to my smugmug page. But the address in the address box at the top of my screen (sorry I don't know the technical name) changes to www.tiffanyfarrow.smugmug.com is there a way I could have it not change to that?

Thanks again for your help.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited October 26, 2007
    Tiffany wrote:
    When I type my new domain www.tiffanyfarrow.com it works great and brings me right to my smugmug page. But the address in the address box at the top of my screen (sorry I don't know the technical name) changes to www.tiffanyfarrow.smugmug.com is there a way I could have it not change to that?

Thanks again for your help.
    Did you set up a CNAME, or did you forward your domain?
    If you set up a CNAME then the address bar should show your www.tiffanyfarrow.com address. If you forwarded your domain then the name would change to www.tiffanyfarrow.smugmug.com. (Of course it's possible there are other causes, but check the CNAME first.)

I have two URLs. One (www.denisegoldberg.com) is CNAMEd to my smugmug account, and the other forwards to denisegoldberg.com. Both show www.denisegoldberg.com in the address bar.

--- Denise
    edited October 26, 2007
    Did you set up a CNAME, or did you forward your domain?
    If you set up a CNAME then the address bar should show your www.tiffanyfarrow.com address. If you forwarded your domain then the name would change to www.tiffanyfarrow.smugmug.com. (Of course it's possible there are other causes, but check the CNAME first.)

I have two URLs. One (www.denisegoldberg.com) is CNAMEd to my smugmug account, and the other forwards to denisegoldberg.com. Both show www.denisegoldberg.com in the address bar.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise, I appreciate your response! I use godaddy and just forwarded my new address. Do I need to CNAME it on godaddy? If so I'll ask them how to do that.

Thanks again! :D
    edited October 26, 2007
    Tiffany wrote:
    Thanks Denise, I appreciate your response! I use godaddy and just forwarded my new address. Do I need to CNAME it on godaddy? If so I'll ask them how to do that.

Yes, you need to CNAME it on godaddy. There's s link to the godaddy instructions on the page that Alan mentioned before. But here's the link directly to the instructions for godaddy - http://www.smugmug.com/help/godaddy.mg

--- Denise
  • aherndonaherndon Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Tried the script to change address bar
    When I put this code in my JS, the links back to Galleries or Home would bring up a white page for a second or two then move on. I've commented the code out for now, but any ideas as to what's going on.

Code as follows:

/* function redirectPath() {
    re = /((www.)?alherndonphotography.smugmug.com)/;
    tmp = window.location.href;
    if (re.test(tmp)) {
    tmp = tmp.replace(re, 'www.alherndonphotography.com');
    window.location.href = tmp;
    }
    }
    redirectPath(); */

Website -> www.alherndonphotography.com
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 2, 2007
    Tiffany wrote:

Tiffany,

Try the instructions that Denise linked to, if you have any issues email our support heroes.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 2, 2007
    aherndon wrote:
    When I put this code in my JS, the links back to Galleries or Home would bring up a white page for a second or two then move on. I've commented the code out for now, but any ideas as to what's going on.

Al,

I have fixed this issue for you, the problem was that your header was hardcoded to your smugmug address, so I have made it so the pathing is relative.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • aherndonaherndon Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Thanks a million
    devbobo wrote:
    Al,

I have fixed this issue for you, the problem was that your header was hardcoded to your smugmug address, so I have made it so the pathing is relative.

Cheers,

David

I just got to tired to think straight thanks for help. The information on this forum is wonderful. I've been able to customize my site to a great extent by following the threads here. Thanks again.
  • npappynpappy Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 8, 2008
    Not working
    I copied it and pasted the code into my acct. and changed the 2 things i was supposed to - all i get is a white page - but the title is correct

why is that?
    Thank you
    Nick
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    npappy wrote:
    I copied it and pasted the code into my acct. and changed the 2 things i was supposed to - all i get is a white page - but the title is correct

why is that?
    Thank you
    Nick

Nick,

If you need help you probably must post your site name and also be a bit more specific about what you copied, where you pasted it, and describe what 2 things you changed.
  • shrekieshrekie Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    Hey Sergio,

yes it is possible, add the code below to your js (and insert ur domain names)...

Updated: Now supports both nickname.smugmug.com and www.nickname.smugmug.com

function redirectPath() { 
      re = /((www.)?introversion.smugmug.com)/; 
      if (re.test(tmp)) { 
        tmp = tmp.replace(re, '[URL="http://www.introversion.com.au/"]www.introversion.com.au[/URL]'); 
      } 
    }
    redirectPath();  

Cheers,

David

Hi,

I want to do the same thing and track using google analytics both traffic to lookingglassphotography.smugmug.com and www.lookingglassphotography.com.au

Here is the code I put into the javascript box (I have double checked spelling and periods as well):

function redirectPath() {
    re = /(lookingglassphotography.smugmug.com)/;
    if (re.test(tmp)) {
    tmp = tmp.replace(re, 'www.lookingglassphotography.com.au');
    }
    }
    redirectPath();

After I put this code in, neither my smugmug or my domain name page doesn't load at all.

Any ideas please?
    Thanks,

Nelson
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    shrekie wrote:
    Forwards to http://www.lookingglassphotography.smugmug.com/

And it resolves to IP 202.124.241.178

So you don't have a proper CNAME set for SmugMug. Here's how: http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts
    edited February 24, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Forwards to http://www.lookingglassphotography.smugmug.com/

And it resolves to IP 202.124.241.178

So you don't have a proper CNAME set for SmugMug. Here's how: http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

Thanks Andy,

Yes, I followed the instructions and emailed the company where I bought the domain name from and this was their reply:

"As the domain manager allows the option to have URL redirection, there is no need to setup CNAME records.

All you need to do is place smugsmug.com in to the redirection link which will directly link lookingglassphotography.com.au to smugmug.com".

So I'm not sure what I need to do now. Do I email them again to specifically ask for a CNAME?

Thanks,

Nelson
    edited February 24, 2008
    shrekie wrote:
    "As the domain manager allows the option to have URL redirection, there is no need to setup CNAME records.
    All you need to do is place smugsmug.com in to the redirection link which will directly link lookingglassphotography.com.au to smugmug.com".

So I'm not sure what I need to do now. Do I email them again to specifically ask for a CNAME?
    Nelson
    Nelson -
    If it were me, I'd tell them that you need the ability to set up a CNAME and if they don't provide that capability that you'll pull your account and move it elsewhere. As in somewhere that you can control how and where your URL is directed.

I've had really good experiences with both register.com and godaddy.com. I know there are others out there too.

--- Denise
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    I agree, can 'em!

Godaddy will move your account, one phone call to them, it's a pleasure. I switched from register.com to godaddy and their support rocks.

Time for a switch.
    edited February 24, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I agree, can 'em!

Godaddy will move your account, one phone call to them, it's a pleasure. I switched from register.com to godaddy and their support rocks.

Time for a switch.

Thanks Denise and Andy:)

I have emailed them again so hopefully they will be able to supply me with the details this time.

My only problem is that Godaddy doesn't allow you to register .com.au addresses which is why I had to go with this provider.

Thanks again,

Nelson
  • Francis VachonFrancis Vachon Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 11, 2008
    This is working great.

Now is it possible to redirect people googling and getting the Smugmug gallery to be also redirected to MY domain?

Example:
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4490356_v2VNJ/1/264221354_aMn5b/Original
    to be redirected:
    http://stock.francisvachon.com/gallery/4490356_v2VNJ/1/264221354_aMn5b/Original

And by the, why the hell does Smugmug creates galleries outside of our account???
  • Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Hello all,

Is there a way to redirect a specific URL to another? This is because Google search points to URLs from my old site and I'd like to redirect them to the new ones. Say redirect this:

http://www.borealphoto.com/articles/canada/quebec/favoris.htm

To this:

http://www.borealphoto.com/gallery/3769535_2Buch

Same thing about redirecting several URLs to a single one, like:

borealphoto.com/url1
    borealphoto.com/url2
    borealphoto.com/url3

To

borealphoto.com/gallery/whatever

Thank you.
    edited April 16, 2008
    Bump. Any idea how to redirect a single URL to another?

Thank you.
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 16, 2008
    edited April 16, 2008
    Thanks Doc, but...
    In order to use this method you will need to create a file named .htaccess (not supported by Windows-based hosting) and place it on the root directory of your website, then just add the code below to the file.

Where is this at Smugmug? Or do I put this on my old website? Since I pointed my domain name to Smugmug, my old website resides at http://servername.webhost.com/myusername. I don't know adding anything over there will solve my problem.

Thank you.
    edited April 16, 2008
    Erick L wrote:
    http://www.borealphoto.com/articles/canada/quebec/favoris.htm

To this:

http://www.borealphoto.com/gallery/3769535_2Buch
    I'm a bit confused as what you are trying to do here; If you have a custom domain (borealphoto.com) set up correct for your SmugMug account, that first link can not exist ne_nau.gif