audio level

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited July 16, 2011 in Video
I've got some questions about setting the audio level in videos that are strictly spoken voice, no music.

I'm using Premiere to make videos. They are instructional video and the only audio in them is me talking. I record the voice on a little Tascam PCM recorder. Usually the recording is not done all at once and the levels come out to be different in each recording.

Also I'm trying to make sure the final video is "loud enough" when its played on computer or portable device like a phone.

I know just enough about making videos to be dangerous so I have a couple of questions about levels.

To even things out I choose all the clips on the audio track, there is just one track, and use the Premere clip->audio->Normalize all peaks to normalize to -0.3db. When I listen to the results the levels are evened out and it's plenty loud enough.

I use normalize all peaks, as opposed to normalize Max peaks, because it seems like the right thing to do for the simple voice recording I am doing. Is it?

I choose -0.3db not from a position of knowledge, but because I saw it used in a couple of videos on Lynda. Is this a reasonable choice for the simple kinds of recording I am doing?

Thanks