Options

SEO alt tags and image size

ShoebeeShoebee Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited October 2, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Hello I am trying to figure out SEO, which I know very little about, and have a couple of issues I could use clarification on.

I am in process of adding keywords etc to images, I have found the place to enter titles captions & keywords in the gallery settings tool. I can't find a place to enter alt tags???

I read some SEO articles that suggested the search engines like smaller image sizes (suggested sizes varied between 70k to 150k IIRC). I understand that many SM photogs upload large files and let SM make smaller versions. Just wondering how the search engines see this and if it makes a difference for SEO.
Also as a side question how foolproof is SM size versions in preventing downloads of original large file sizes?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2, 2014
    File sizes, SEO vs protection vs viewing and printmarking downloads
    I'm not sure where to post this question. I am confused about file size. I am trying to reconcile need for protecting images vs viewing images vs SEO. (Boudoir clients have expressed that they are creeped out by thought of random people downloading and printing their images, so they ask me not to post them at all.)

I understand that every image you put up can be downloaded so I have to this point only uploaded small files to at least prevent people from being able to make a good print out of a stolen image. I also take the time to add my logo to any image I upload.

However I don't like that my website then displays small marked images.

Researching SEO, I recently read that search engines prefer image files in the 70k-150k range, which is even smaller than I typically upload.

Is there some sweet spot file size that enable the big beautiful full screen image display that I see on some websites and being search engine friendly, while still foiling a thief from downloading the image and making decent quality prints ?

Is there a watermark/printmark setting where the displayed image is not marked but downloaded images would be marked?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited October 2, 2014
    I've merged your two threads and placed them in the SmugMug Support forum. I believe this is the best forum for the questions.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2014
    Shoebee wrote: »
    I understand that every image you put up can be downloaded so I have to this point only uploaded small files to at least prevent people from being able to make a good print out of a stolen image. I also take the time to add my logo to any image I upload.

...Researching SEO, I recently read that search engines prefer image files in the 70k-150k range, which is even smaller than I typically upload.
    You need to find a middle ground. Uploading small images protects you from folks printing the images in a large format but it gives a poor online experience. Will your viewers stay on your site to view tiny images? I wouldn't.

Take a look at the Minimum Requirements section of this help page for minimum resolution requirements for printing - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93359-are-there-resolution-requirements-for-printing-through-smugmug-.
    Is there a watermark/printmark setting where the displayed image is not marked but downloaded images would be marked?
    Watermarks and printmarks are both available at the Portfolio and Business account levels.

See help pages at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93343-how-do-i-watermark-photos- and http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93344.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2014
    Denise thanks for merging the threads, I didn't know where to post.

Yes, I understand that I am looking for a middle ground, I was hoping for some specific input from others as to settings they are using since I have not been able to find a satisfactory solution. And the whole SEO angle still is confusing. If you upload full res files to SM and it makes multiple copies, which version are the search engines seeing?

Thanks for the links. I had read those pages on printmarks and watermarks, seems like I want the opposite of what the watermark does: I don't want it to show on the displayed image, only on right-click downloaded/shared copies.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2014
    Whatever you upload are "originals". Smugmug does nothing to originals. They only create display sizes.
    Watermarks, if active, will be added to these.

Originals are used only for printing and downloads. No watermark.

Whatever maximum display size you set per gallery is all visitors will see.
    If originals are not enabled, max display size, visitors can not download.
    You, only when logged in, will always see the download button.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2014
    Thanks for your comments. I think I understand what SM is doing. I am interested in finding out what file size an compression people are using to get a good display image while not allowing for that same image to make a good quality print. I am uploading 900px files on the long side, compressed down to to make a file size around 100k in photoshop and can still get a decent 8x10 print out of that file printing on an inkjet on plain paper on standard print settings.

I have a power level subscription right now so I don't have the option to play around with watermark and printmark settings but if they would work for me I might be willing to upgrade my account. I understand that the SM watermarks are only applied to display images not to download images. that is the opposite of what I want.

What about printmarks? I know they appear on printed images ordered through the shopping cart. But do they appear on stolen downloaded image? Do they appear on displayed images?
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2014
    What about printmarks? I know they appear on printed images ordered through the shopping cart. But do they appear on stolen downloaded image? Do they appear on displayed images?
    Printmarks appear on prints ordered from a smugmug site. They would not appear on images taken from your site.

I'm assuming you are not allowing access to the Originals. If you upgrade to a Portfolio account and use watermarks, the watermarks will be displayed on the images viewed online. They will also be on any images grabbed from your site, whether via a download from the browser cache or via a screen grab.

If you want to verify that the watermark stays on the image you can do a right click save on an image from my site. The saved image still shows the watermark. In addition, I have a copyright statement embedded in the file - and that can be seen as well on the saved image. Yes, I know, anyone can take an image. But right click protection can be bypassed in no time at all (seconds!), and I believe leaving it on was hurting search engine optimization.

Only you can decide how large you want to show your photos. There are certain areas of photography (like kid's sports, for example) where I believe the photos will be grabbed, but others where you will likely see less people taking photos for free.

Do you want folks to enjoy viewing your photos online? That should probably play into your decision as well.

--- Denise