Options

How do I disable the SM coupon pop-up thingy?

ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
edited October 4, 2014 in SmugMug Support
This popped up in lightbox mode when I was viewing someone else's site, exact URL:
http://rosscollins.smugmug.com/Daily-blog/n-6j4Fh/i-5LRPXVH/A.

Honestly this is horrifying in my mind, that my visitors would be subjected to this most ugly and intrusive pop-up.

How do I disable this from occurring on my site?

Comments

• Options
    JohnHeroJohnHero Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2014
    Hi ChancyRat,

SmugMug does not place ads or pop-ups on it's site. This looks like it is part of a web browser add-on/extension or your computer has been infected with AdWare/Malware.

I checked the URL you provided and I am not seeing this ad on my end.

If you need anything else, please let us know by emailing us directly. Go to help.smugmug.com and click the "Email Us" link.

John
    SmugMug Support Hero
    John
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    This popped up in lightbox mode when I was viewing someone else's site, exact URL:
    http://rosscollins.smugmug.com/Daily-blog/n-6j4Fh/i-5LRPXVH/A.
    I don't see it either, and it's my site! :D

I'm seeing the referring URL as a link to a Dgrin thread, although it is presented with a good deal of verbiage being added somewhere.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2014
    Thanks - so sorry WWW you had to suffer that.
    Well, my computer is clean except for some various tracking cookies, so with updates and clearing cookies, I no longer see that nasty thing on the sample URL.

And that was Chrome!
    I did have one 'video downloader' extension that I can't remember why I installed it, it is GONE, and perhaps has to be the answer.... Except if you saw a dgrin URL... ???

Very relieved that was not SM!
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Thanks - so sorry WWW you had to suffer that.
    It didn't affect me at all - didn't hurt a bit! I'm pleased you are now sorted.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2014
    Chancy, your computer has/had the Price Companion spyware/adware:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/price-companion-deal-finder-removal/

It was probably part of the video downloading extension you mentioned for Chrome, so I guess you've removed it now.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2014
    Chancy, your computer has/had the Price Companion spyware/adware:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/price-companion-deal-finder-removal/

It was probably part of the video downloading extension you mentioned for Chrome, so I guess you've removed it now.

Great sleuthing work, 007dude. How *did* you figure that out???
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2014
    I used Google Image Search to find a couple of the words shown in your screenshot along with "adware", and the screenshot at the top of that article came up inside the first page :).
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2014
    I used Google Image Search to find a couple of the words shown in your screenshot along with "adware", and the screenshot at the top of that article came up inside the first page :).

Good grief. Well, google-searching I know to do, but I would never have thought such benign search terms would nail the sucker. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2014
    I thought I should post a follow-up to this, which is that I ended up reinstalling my hard drive because I got a trojan. I'm 100% sure this pop-up thing was connected to a series of misbehaviors my machine began to engage in. Lost profile... slow re-starts ...

Anyway, this seemed nasty.

I chose an external program, Microsoft Safety Scanner (which took 2.5 hours to run), found one malware and removed it. I can confirm this was exactly the problem because of the pop-up example cited, of a window telling me I needed to update Java, even though my Java was up to date. (I never clicked that link, but the damage was done by then anyway.)

TrojanDownloader:Win32/Tugspay.A
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/entry.aspx?name=TrojanDownloader%3aWin32%2fTugspay.A#tab=2

Because this information told me that other programs could have been downloaded, and I didn't have any trust that I was clean, I did a reinstall.

Moral of the story: if you get this pop-up about a SM coupon ... it might be worth thinking about the worst case scenario.