PNW Motocross C&C

jmetteerjmetteer Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited June 6, 2012 in Sports
I recently got a new camera setup (40D & 70-200 f4L) after way too much time spent in the hospital last year on two occasions. I ended up with a broken collar bone, a compound femur femur fracture, and to top it off each one of those came with a broken back. It is time to slow down a bit so the MX bike got sold and I picked up a gently used kit with what didn't go to medical bills. :D I had been using an XTI and Sigma 24-70 2.8 for three years or so but the 2.8 decided it was fixed focus a week before I got hurt the first time. The 40D is a huge improvement for me.

Sunday I decide to go get some spring time photos at the local MX track and also stopped off at a friends private track for a few. I am looking forward to hear your comments so I can make improvements.

IMG2886-L.jpg
IMG2927-L.jpg
IMG2954-L.jpg
IMG2969-L.jpg
IMG2989-L.jpg
IMG3036-L.jpg
IMG3076-L.jpg
IMG3110-L.jpg
IMG3174-L.jpg
IMG3210-L.jpg
IMG3222-L.jpg

Later,

Comments

• KikopriceKikoprice Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    I've never been a fan of vignette and IMHO I would get rid of it. Most of your shots look under exposed, with exception of 10 and 11, the best over all of the bunch. Great job on the panning shot in shot 6. I would suggest shooting from a lower position, fill the frame and shoot wide open f4, and bump the exposure up.
  • FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    Kikoprice wrote: »
    I've never been a fan of vignette and IMHO I would get rid of it. Most of your shots look under exposed, with exception of 10 and 11, the best over all of the bunch. Great job on the panning shot in shot 6. I would suggest shooting from a lower position, fill the frame and shoot wide open f4, and bump the exposure up.

agreed, they are way too dark

I like the framing of #5

number 11 is definitely your strongest image of the group
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • kurtwkurtw Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    I would +1 both of the above including the constructive suggestions. The action is good (#11 especially!) and the panning shot is very well done.

The images are maybe 1/2 to 2/3 stop underexposed on my calibrated screen, but the vignettes are so heavy that they are distracting and may even be intruding into the subject and probably contributing more to the sense of being underexposed.

In direct sun, I usually shoot for exposure that just clips some highlights in the JPG LCD preview on white number plates where they are reflecting sun. For me, that usually ends up being perfect in-camera exposure for RAW processing where I can recover most of those highlights, and acceptable JPG files with correct subject exposure. It looks like you were exposing to avoid any clipping at all on those highlights and that will usually give an underexposure in direct sun with glossy (gotta love that fresh SC1 treatment!) white number plates.

I love seeing MX and racing in general. Keep posting!

PS Keep mending those bones! Injury is a great excuse to focus on photography! ;-)
  • jmetteerjmetteer Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the replies, that is 4 votes for under exposed. A friend of mine whom I consider a very good photographer told me they were too dark so I figured it was time to get some criticism and improve. I was shooting aperture priority, with the exposure comp set -2/3 to -1. I prefer to be slightly under exposed, especially in harsh light. I will have to change that and see what the result is. I will also ditch the vignette, I think it is kinda cool but it is one less step in the editing process. I am still new at editing as I am sure you can tell so I have lots to learn.

Did anyone click on the links in the first post and check out my crash videos? They are intense...

I will be riding again fairly soon, the leg feels good, back is fine as long as I don't try to sleep... eek7.gif

I hope to be back next week with some more photos from Sunday, and maybe next Thursday night MX.

Thanks again,
    edited April 28, 2012
    jmetteer wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies, that is 4 votes for under exposed. A friend of mine whom I consider a very good photographer told me they were too dark so I figured it was time to get some criticism and improve. I was shooting aperture priority, with the exposure comp set -2/3 to -1. I prefer to be slightly under exposed, especially in harsh light. I will have to change that and see what the result is. I will also ditch the vignette, I think it is kinda cool but it is one less step in the editing process. I am still new at editing as I am sure you can tell so I have lots to learn.

Did anyone click on the links in the first post and check out my crash videos? They are intense...

I will be riding again fairly soon, the leg feels good, back is fine as long as I don't try to sleep... eek7.gif

I hope to be back next week with some more photos from Sunday, and maybe next Thursday night MX.

Thanks again,

Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?

I'd ditch Aperture priority and go full manual. Lock your f stop and find a suitable shutter speed that works well to capture the action.

The after you are done shooting edit the RAW files (such as adjust the exposure, brightness, WB, etc...)
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

Blue Moon Originals
    edited April 30, 2012
    Are you shooting RAW or JPEG?

I'd ditch Aperture priority and go full manual. Lock your f stop and find a suitable shutter speed that works well to capture the action.

The after you are done shooting edit the RAW files (such as adjust the exposure, brightness, WB, etc...)

I normaly shoot JPEG... It seems like a lot of work to edit each photo, probably beacuse I am already slow at it. I usually pick about 20 favorites and edit them, the rest get uploaded as they came out of the camera.

Here are the ones I took yesterday, these were shot in raw. Not much was done to the exposure though, the light was really great.

IMG3407-L.jpg
    IMG3480-L.jpg
    IMG3474-L.jpg
    IMG3509-L.jpg
    IMG3615-L.jpg
    IMG3605-L.jpg
    IMG3643-L.jpg
    IMG3709-L.jpg

Later,
    edited April 30, 2012
    Much better

I like these ones the best, #18 is my personal favorite of the bunch
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

Blue Moon Originals
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    I normaly shoot JPEG... It seems like a lot of work to edit each photo, probably beacuse I am already slow at it.

Not a problem for MX. You need to consider using flash to highlight your photos. Take a look at the photogs at SX and MX, and you'll see that most of them use flash. mwink.gif
  • kurtwkurtw Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    I agree #18 is the pick of this set. It's got good exposure, light, and WB. And the action and seeing his eyes are great. clap.gif

Action and backgrounds are good on most of these, but the main issue I have now with some of the others is white-balance. WB looks off in most of them (notice the blue cast in the white gear and plastics - and that cast may be getting enhanced by the processing). This is mostly the case for the ones you shot in shade. WB adjustment would help a lot for those ones.
  • nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    Hey Jake

#18 is a great shot and by far thew best of the bunch!

Im in town this coming week if you want to come over after you get back from Vegas.
    I can go over some stuff with you before I head out for location the next weekend.
    Maybe meet up at PIR on Thursday?
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Ditto the suggestion to use flash. I always did when I was shooting MX on a regular basis. Also ditto the suggestion to ditch aperture priority mode. Go shutter priority instead, choosing how much motion you are trying to either limit or convey, depending on the shot. Profile shots go slow shutter for the pan, head-on shots go faster shutter, etc. Motorsports photography is all about deciding how much motion to convey in the shots, and that is all controlled by shutter speed. You want to dictate shutter speed above all else.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited May 8, 2012
    Much better

I like these ones the best, #18 is my personal favorite of the bunch

Thank you, #18 is my favorite also for a couple of reasons... It is a good photo, he is a former pro motocross racer and local fast guy and I finished 2nd to him in the last race I did before getting hurt last winter.
    nipprdog wrote: »
    Not a problem for MX. You need to consider using flash to highlight your photos. Take a look at the photogs at SX and MX, and you'll see that most of them use flash. mwink.gif

Ahh, flash, yeah, I don't have one and I assume that the D40 on board flash would be about useless with the 70-200, and with no high speed sync over 1/250 it seems to me like I really need to buy a flash. I have an IFTT search emailing me craigslist adds for flashes, I will get one soon.
    nw scout wrote: »
    Hey Jake

#18 is a great shot and by far thew best of the bunch!

Im in town this coming week if you want to come over after you get back from Vegas.
    I can go over some stuff with you before I head out for location the next weekend.
    Maybe meet up at PIR on Thursday?

Damn Dave, that is a hell of an offer! At this point I am supposed to do an evening trail ride Thursday, if that falls through I will see you for sure. I know your guidance can do nothing but help. thumb.gif I just got home from Vegas, watched some Supercross and Endurocross and even took a few pictures of Endurocross practice. I was shooting from the front row of the stands so the angles kind of sucked but it is better than nothing at all.
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Ditto the suggestion to use flash. I always did when I was shooting MX on a regular basis. Also ditto the suggestion to ditch aperture priority mode. Go shutter priority instead, choosing how much motion you are trying to either limit or convey, depending on the shot. Profile shots go slow shutter for the pan, head-on shots go faster shutter, etc. Motorsports photography is all about deciding how much motion to convey in the shots, and that is all controlled by shutter speed. You want to dictate shutter speed above all else.

Noted, I will give that a try next time for sure. thumb.gif

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback!
  • MotophotogMotophotog Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2012
    #15 and #18, you have it down pat.

Keep up the good work. Ditch the vignetting.

db
    www.darrenbeattyphotography.com
    Contracts for: WMRRA, Sullivan Race School, AMA, Epic Trackdays, NMC Magazine
    ***Seattle - Shelton - Portland - Spokane***
    edited May 25, 2012
    Motophotog wrote: »
    #15 and #18, you have it down pat.

Keep up the good work. Ditch the vignetting.

db

Thanks Darren,

I have enjoyed many of your photos over the years. thumb.gif

Here are a few I took from last Friday and Saturday, I borrowed a 430ex II from a friend and worked on some flash. Overall I was not that happy with my results but I was lacking some creativity for some reason. headscratch.gif Also I was using shutter priority on all these. Someday I will switch to manual on this body.

IMG4268-L.jpg
    IMG4265-L.jpg
    IMG4237-L.jpg
    IMG4219-L.jpg
    IMG4166-L.jpg
    IMG4209-L.jpg
    IMG4276-L.jpg
    IMG4101-L.jpg
    #28 only had 2 riders to take pictures of, got a little bored. :D
    IMG4103-L.jpg
    IMG4140-L.jpg
    #30 It seems like I got this washed out look with the flash at this track, is that from the dust in the air?
    IMG4137-L.jpg

Later,
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012

Yes. Both of them. And as much as I'm envious of those such as yourself who can do this, you have firmly convinced me I don't need to be doing that for a spare time activity. thumb.gif Fall-down-go-boom is not high on my list.

As for the shots, the ones where EXIF information showed flash, to me appear nicer than those without. The last one I would have to assume dispersion of light in the thin particulate dust.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2012
    Hey j,

Glad you dropped the vignette. :) That was just crazy.

As for your post-vignette images, here's my suggestion to you - continue to practice, but I'd also take some time to read up on (or refresh on) lighting fundamentals. I don't think you did this necessarily, but slapping a 430EX on your camera and just going out there is not going to give you anything great. I'd read some in depth stuff from other folks doing MX coverage, and see how they're achieving their images. I still notice a tendency to underexpose in a lot of these. That's why, even though you want to get it right SOOC, it's good to shoot in RAW so adjustments can be made later on.

With that said, I do like content of #15 and #18 particularly.
  • amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    I recently got a new camera setup (40D & 70-200 f4L) after way too much time spent in the hospital last year on two occasions. I ended up with a broken collar bone, a compound femur femur fracture, and to top it off each one of those came with a broken back. It is time to slow down a bit so the MX bike got sold and I picked up a gently used kit with what didn't go to medical bills. :D I had been using an XTI and Sigma 24-70 2.8 for three years or so but the 2.8 decided it was fixed focus a week before I got hurt the first time. The 40D is a huge improvement for me.

oh man that really bites. I was really digging the video of you chasing the 2 stroke and lapping people that was really sweet, until.... ouch. major suckage.

sweet video though love it. pics are cool. love the white blossom backround ones.
    edited June 6, 2012
    Thanks again for the input guys!

Here are a few more that I shot this weekend at the national ISDE qualifier in Idaho City, Idaho. I raced this event last year and it was one of my favorite events of the year. This year I showed up camera in hand with three friends riding. It is two days and 115-120 miles each day, one big loop run backwards the second day. As a photographer it is tough because you get to see each rider one time, twice if you are lucky.

I forgot my borrowed 430ex flash in my car... oops. So when we rolled into Boise at 4am I did a quick Craigslist search and found 1 used 580ex for sale. It all fell together very well and now I own a 580ex for quite a bit less than they were selling for locally. clap.gif

I played with it a bit, but still have lots to learn.

Let me know what you think of these.

i-5Rx4NzV-L.jpg
    i-HRcJqRK-L.jpg
    i-9Rwm7Sk-L.jpg
    i-jCCt6jR-L.jpg
    i-kFWS83W-L.jpg
    i-9tzTwb9-L.jpg
    i-K75dc9p-L.jpg
    i-XD7BvJt-L.jpg

Later,
  • KikopriceKikoprice Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    Your best set so far! Not sure if I like the weed in the foreground on #33.