Holy Macro it's a whole other world

teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
edited September 11, 2007 in Holy Macro
Thanks for your great input from my “Are these pictures Macro”
Had to work today but was able to get out early and make it over to a used camera store for the first time.
Walked out with a used Nikon 105mm f2.8 Macro (non VR) for a great price, so I rushed home and walked down by the lake to look for some Dragon Flies. It was windy I am sorry to say so I didn’t see any Dragon Flies :cry
Then Holy Macro it hit me… there is a whole other world out there.
This image is nowhere close to what others have posted here.
Is it bringing me closer to the Macro world?
How do you get the entire Fly in focus?
Can I use Extension Tubes with this lens? Good or Bad?
I am getting up in the morning and heading over to Merritt Island Wild Life Refuge,
Spending the day with my new/used lens :ivar MM

193298623-L.jpg
“I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
— Lord Byron

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Had to work today but was able to get out early and make it over to a used camera store for the first time.
    Walked out with a used Nikon 105mm f2.8 Macro (non VR) for a great price, so I rushed home and walked down by the lake to look for some Dragon Flies. It was windy I am sorry to say so I didn’t see any Dragon Flies :cry
    I am getting up in the morning and heading over to Merritt Island Wild Life Refuge,

Think the lens you have is optically excellent, wouldn't worry about the lack of VR you apparently have to turn it off for macro shots- most macro shooters use MF anyway. Yes you should be able to use a set of ext tubes with it.
    Lovely shot to start off with think it must be a jewel wasp but haven't seen anything quite like it :)
    You may find my macro hints and tips useful- see http://www.flickr.com/groups/topic/66514/

You are right there is a whole new macro world out there and you actually start to really looking at things almost like a child for the first the time.
    Have fun, post some results here and ask questions. :)
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007

Hi again MM ..... boy your keen aren't you rolleyes1.gif
    That whole other world will never be looked at in the same way ever again hu? and all the time it's been right there under you nose :D

You should be able to use Extention Tubes,
    as the store which ones you need.

Your off to a really great start MM clap.gif
    That's a great shot, and all you can do is get better as you get to know your gear .... that's the big bonus in getting started thumb.gif

...... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Beautiful picture loved the colors clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    Fantastic Day!
    Woke up a 6am Sunday, was out at the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge by 8am.
    The day was out of this world. I spent 12 hours out there. I couldn’t put my new lens down. Captured a Dragon Fly eating a mosquito on a blade of grass, then it fly over to stick and vomited up some blood (probable mine) and re-consumed it. Can’t wait to learn more, so if you have any input.
    Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge is next to Canaveral National Sea Shore, and Kennedy Space Center. It’s hot and very buggy. Also the Refuge is closed two weeks prior any Space Shuttle launch. MM

194027090-L.jpg

194027074-L.jpg

194027051-L.jpg

194026811-L.jpg

194026772-L.jpg
    — Lord Byron
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    Some more neat captures :)
    Try to look at the composition of the shots as well- always a good idea to give bugs more room in the direction they are looking (if you can).
    Brian V.
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    I do need to work on composure. I am still trying to get the shot of focus. Maybe more time looking through the glass will help. Thanks for the advice. I need it. MM

Some more neat captures :)
    Try to look at the composition of the shots as well- always a good idea to give bugs more room in the direction they are looking (if you can).
    Brian V.
    — Lord Byron