RAW converter for probably very occasional use

Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
edited April 30, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
This group was great in helping me find a new laptop (used as my only computer - at ThinkPad R60). Now I am turning to you about something that I think will get only very occasional use. I do our church newsletter and one of the guys that is willing to shoot for it is very busy. He shoots with a Nikon D200 and I have a Canon D60. So, of course, DPP would not work on his RAW files. I thought the new computer would allow me to use the converter in PSP 9 to at times convert his files to save him time. BUT . . .I find that Nikon changed their format with the D200 and the one with PSP 9 will NOT work. Is there something FREE out there that will work for very occasional use without messing something else up? With things I have had to buy the budget does not permit purchasing something for this very occasional use.
Thanks already
Jane B.

Comments

• digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    The program that was most often used was Pixmantec's Raw Shooter Essentials. Unfortunately, Pixmantec was bought by Adobe and this free program is no longer available.

The last 2006 free version can be found on various boards (here). What I don't know is what Camera Raw format it supports. All you can do is give it a try.
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    digismile wrote:
    The program that was most often used was Pixmantec's Raw Shooter Essentials. Unfortunately, Pixmantec was bought by Adobe and this free program is no longer available.

The last 2006 free version can be found on various boards (here). What I don't know is what Camera Raw format it supports. All you can do is give it a try.

Thanks Brad
    What I learned from your post is that any of Raw Shooter is still available. Do you know anything abount the reliability of the boards you refer to. I don't want spyware and/or adware with it.

Hopefully someone will know if the D200 is supported by that last 2006 version. Who knows I may even like it better than DPP for my own D60; which I am just now going to get into really trying RAW with because of previous computer power issues.
    Jane B.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Not free, but $70, is Bibble Lite.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 29, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Not free, but $70, is Bibble Lite.

Unfortunately, if I do anything now it needs to be free!
    Jane B.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Jane B. wrote:
    Unfortunately, if I do anything now it needs to be free!
    Jane B.
    RSE 2006 supports both the D60 and the D200...Jane, check your email :D

RSE was my primary RAW converter, I prefer it over DPP...however, I have since moved to Lightroom, which is far more complete...Bibble gave it a strong run for the money, it is a great program too. But hard to beat free RSE...Here are the supported cameras:

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II
    Canon EOS-5D
    Canon EOS-1D Mark II
    Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
    Canon EOS-1Ds
    Canon EOS-1D
    Canon EOS 30D
    Canon EOS 20D
    Canon EOS 20Da
    Canon EOS Rebel XT
    Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EOS Kiss Digital N
    Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
    Canon EOS 300D DIGITAL
    Canon EOS KISS DIGITAL
    Canon EOS 10D
    Canon EOS D60
    Canon EOS D30
    Canon PowerShot G2
    Canon PowerShot G3
    Canon PowerShot G5
    Canon PowerShot G6
    Canon PowerShot S30
    Canon PowerShot S40
    Canon PowerShot S45
    Canon PowerShot S50
    Canon PowerShot S60
    Canon PowerShot S70
    Canon PowerShot Pro1

Nikon D2X
    Nikon D2Hs
    Nikon D200
    NIKON D50
    NIKON D70
    NIKON D70S
    NIKON D100
    NIKON D2H
    NIKON D1H
    NIKON E8400
    NIKON E8700
    NIKON E8800

Olympus E-1
    Olympus E-10
    Olympus E-20
    Olympus E-300
    Olympus E-330
    Olympus E-500
    Olympus C5050Z
    Olympus C7070WZ
    Olympus C8080WZ
    Olympus C5060WZ

Minolta DiMAGE 5
    Minolta DiMAGE 7
    Minolta DiMAGE 7i
    Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi
    Minolta DiMAGE A1
    Minolta DiMAGE A2
    Minolta MAXXUM 7D
    Minolta ALPHA 7 Digital
    Minolta DYNAX 7D
    Minolta Dimage A200
    Minolta Dynax 5D
    Minolta Alpha Sweet Digital

PENTAX *ist D
    PENTAX *ist DS
    PENTAX *ist DS2
    Pentax *ist DL

Leica DMR R9
    Leica DMR R8
    Leica DIGILUX 2
    Leica D-LUX 2

Panasonic DMC-LC1
    Panasonic DMC-FZ30
    Panasonic DMC-LX1

Epson R-D1

Sony DSC-R1

Adobe DNG for all above mentioned cameras.
    edited April 30, 2007
    Thank you!

I did get RawShooter Essentials put on. It does open the D200 files. I have been busy with other things and have not taken a RAW shot with my D60 to see how it handles that. The person that told me it does a good job with both has been reliable. It will take a learning curve to know how will I will like RAW with any converter as I did not have enough processing power before.

One thing that does concern me is the nag box to register that comes up upon opening the program. Is it going to prevent it opening after so many times? Registration fails as their site is no longer there.

Thanks again
    Jane B.
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    I'm using Helicon, http://www.helicon.com.ua/heliconfilter.html which has a free version. the licensed versions vary from $30 to $75. Very focused on just the essential stuff. I use it in conjunction with psp X and sometimes find processing my jpgs through it works better than some of the kinda heavy handed stuff psp does, particularly in the areas of sharpening and noise control.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.