Options

Texas Oil and Gas

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited August 18, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Pulled out a few old shots just for fun and some odds and ends processing. Here is a glimpse of the oil and gas industry in small town Texas. Remember some of these?

i-bqg6grs-M.jpg

i-4fSCXLx-S.jpg

i-t68ztzK-M.jpg

i-x5L5HMs-M.jpg

i-sNjsCSk-M.jpg

i-X5Rppjh-M.jpg

i-xd9KTF9-M.jpg

8. If you look closely at the label on these pipes you will see "Eagle Ford Shale." This area is unusual because it produces both oil and natural gas. While bringing lots of jobs and money, it is also controversial because of the use of "fracking," a method of production that some believe misuses and depletes limited water supplies. There are also complaints about all the trucks that are on the backroads and small towns. When I took these shots a couple of years ago, I drove lots of those backroads and passed only a handful of those trucks. I have not been there recently but I suspect it is pretty crowded.

i-t6XZkd9-M.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Yeah, Lauren, I do remember some of these. That's an interesting array of shots.

I think I'll sell everything I own and start buying every old sign I can find. Seriously, though, sales prices paid for some of the really good stuff out there, at a few auctions I've been to lately, have been eye-opening.

Thanks for bringing back thoughts of some great times I spent in that neck of the woods.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Glad you enjoyed them! I thought of you when I posted the sign shots. I have a growing collection (of images that is) so I will share some more with you. A recent auction here had quite a few signs but I was out of town so I have no idea what they sold for.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Cool stuff Lauren... I love the Mobilgas winged horse symbol - they don't make 'em like that anymore.
    I never knew about the market and value of Oil & Gas related stuff until I saw it on American Pickers... doesn't seem to be a lot of this stuff out-west (SoCal).
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Cool stuff Lauren... I love the Mobilgas winged horse symbol - they don't make 'em like that anymore.
    I never knew about the market and value of Oil & Gas related stuff until I saw it on American Pickers... doesn't seem to be a lot of this stuff out-west (SoCal).

What goes on in that market is amazing, Eric. There was an old guy up in the mountains that I used to stop and talk with occasionally. He had a huge barn that was covered on the outside ( literally, every square inch ) with signs and the inside was crammed with all kinds of advertising stuff ( signs, old gas pumps, etc. ) from floor to ceiling. He had been an oil company distributor...Texaco....but had collected stuff put out by every major player in that industry.

His collection was fairly well known among the knowledgeable crowd. When he died a couple of years ago, his family staged a huge 3-day auction that was promoted nationally. When the smoke cleared, the family netted over $300,000.....in bad economic times, no less.

I don't have the in-depth knowledge ( or time ) to really explore this market as a business. However, I have a good friend up there that is qualified. I've talked with him recently about me shuffling some bucks his way and the two of us forming an operation to exploit this special market. I wouldn't risk the necessary capital for this venture if this guy wasn't a real pro and the market wasn't as strong as it is. We'll see what transpires.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Around these parts I like spotting the old Texaco sign posts. They often don't have the logo on them anymore but they are so distinctive with the circle on the top! thumb.gif.

Love this series, Lauren. :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    What goes on in that market is amazing, Eric. There was an old guy up in the mountains that I used to stop and talk with occasionally. He had a huge barn that was covered on the outside ( literally, every square inch ) with signs and the inside was crammed with all kinds of advertising stuff ( signs, old gas pumps, etc. ) from floor to ceiling. He had been an oil company distributor...Texaco....but had collected stuff put out by every major player in that industry.

His collection was fairly well known among the knowledgeable crowd. When he died a couple of years ago, his family staged a huge 3-day auction that was promoted nationally. When the smoke cleared, the family netted over $300,000.....in bad economic times, no less.

I don't have the in-depth knowledge ( or time ) to really explore this market as a business. However, I have a good friend up there that is qualified. I've talked with him recently about me shuffling some bucks his way and the two of us forming an operation to exploit this special market. I wouldn't risk the necessary capital for this venture if this guy wasn't a real pro and the market wasn't as strong as it is. We'll see what transpires.

Tom

Wow Tom, that sounds like a very interesting and fun venture - best of luck with that!
    300K? - wow! I bet the margin from the original cost was pretty good - that worked out great for his family!
    If you hit-it big and end-up with a reality TV show or something, remember your friends! :D

Lauren, sorry to hijack your thread a bit - it's fun stuff!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Oh I feel so old rolleyes1.gifI do remember the first three photos. Was the price of gas still on the gas pump? I always find that so interesting. Thanks for posting these. I had fun looking at them.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    I apologize also, Lauren. But I know you share an interest in this kind of stuff so I thought I'd expound on the old sign market to go along with your pictures. Understand, my personal knowledge in this arena is rather limited.

To keep it in proper perspective, the case I referred to in the posting above is an extreme example. Everything that guy had on and in that big barn was first-class stuff. Almost all of what was inside was still in its original packing. Unbelievable. I was told that folks came from all over the country to the auction....his collection demanded that kind of attention, and money.

Lauren, I think you'll see that more folks than you might have expected are eager to see more of your collection of sign pictures. I know I am.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited August 17, 2013
    Did you see any "Flying A" signs? Been a bunch of different companies that have come and gone or merged. Pretty crazy.

Those vintage signs are pretty big business. Same with oil cans (the paper ones)-those are huge.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Thanks for all the visits and comments. Randy and Eric, you can hijack my threads anytime. I always enjoy the round-table discussions. thumb.gif

So, Tom, following up on your post in my thread......what became of your plan to start buying this stuff?

I enjoy watching American Pickers and American Restoration. Maybe I should start asking folks in these small towns if anything is for sale. Wonder if that flying horse would fit in my truck?

I did look at the price on the pump but honestly don't remember what it was. I will make a note next time and let ya'll know. When I started driving at 16 I think the price was 49 cents a gallon.

I am glad to know folks are interested in my shots. My creative rut has gone on so long now but I am grateful for all the encouragement. I will post a few more images for you to take a gander at. :D Got a photography workshop coming up next week so I hope to have some nice shots from that!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    redleash wrote: »
    Thanks for all the visits and comments. Randy and Eric, you can hijack my threads anytime. I always enjoy the round-table discussions. thumb.gif

So, Tom, following up on your post in my thread......what became of your plan to start buying this stuff?

I enjoy watching American Pickers and American Restoration. Maybe I should start asking folks in these small towns if anything is for sale. Wonder if that flying horse would fit in my truck?

I did look at the price on the pump but honestly don't remember what it was. I will make a note next time and let ya'll know. When I started driving at 16 I think the price was 49 cents a gallon.

I am glad to know folks are interested in my shots. My creative rut has gone on so long now but I am grateful for all the encouragement. I will post a few more images for you to take a gander at. :D Got a photography workshop coming up next week so I hope to have some nice shots from that!

Lauren

I expect that my friend/partner in this venture will finalize our agreement soon. I learned years ago that, regardless of friendship ties, any business dealings are best structured through written contracts, etc., etc. We are finishing up that stage of our agreement.

As I mentioned earlier, my partner is a consummate pro when wheeling and dealing in this kind of material. And, frankly, our little venture will succeed or fail based on his performance. I'm simply going to provide the capital required for him to accelerate his current activities in these specialized collectibles. The bulk of his business activities are beyond the scope of our understanding. But, when it comes to buying and selling a certain genre of stuff, we will be equal partners. My capital contributions will allow him to greatly increase his penetration into this select market. Hopefully, we'll be able to divvy up a few shekels of profit down the road. In any event, I'm bound to learn some interesting stuff and expand my horizons.

I'll keep you tuned in.

Tom