Options

A Couple Of Old Barns And A Cabin

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited August 15, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Those of you who have been around a while know I'm on a mission to document old barns and farm buildings before they all disappear. With all the rain I ran into up in the Appalachians, I wasn't able to get out and around as much as I wanted....but I was able to add a few structures to my collection. Sadly, a couple more of my all-time favorites have fallen prey to the scavengers who scour the mountains looking for old barn wood.

Summer%202013%20155-X3.jpg

Summer%202013%20133-X3.jpg

I don't know how many people lived in this place, but, if it was like many old cabins back then, Mom and Dad and about 15 youngsters crammed in to it.

Summer%202013%20102-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2013
    those would be some great places to do some senior shoots.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2013
    joshhuntnm wrote: »

Thanks for looking in, Josh.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2013
    Nice work, finding and capturing these relics Tom... I like #2 with the lush hillside. thumb.gif
    Your images really capture the idyllic isolation of these places
    and I think I can actually hear the birds chirping and the crickets cricketing.
    I can't get over how green it is 'round those parts!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2013
    You came across some nice looking old buildings. I really like the last one - it's so different. Makes me wonder what it was used for in it's 'younger days'.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Nice work, finding and capturing these relics Tom... I like #2 with the lush hillside. thumb.gif
    Your images really capture the idyllic isolation of these places
    and I think I can actually hear the birds chirping and the crickets cricketing.
    I can't get over how green it is 'round those parts!

The excess rain that area had was, in some ways, a curse. An obvious upside, though, is the lush, green growth that has blanketed the mountains. I have to be a little cautious as I zero in on a lot of this kind of stuff....some of those deep-wood mountain folk don't take too kindly to outsiders. I've had to be fleet of foot on a few occasions.

I think, Eric, that you would really enjoy a journey through the Appalachians.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2013
    Dogdots wrote: »
    You came across some nice looking old buildings. I really like the last one - it's so different. Makes me wonder what it was used for in it's 'younger days'.

One of the things, Mary, that has always attracted me to these kind of subjects is wondering about the history of the structure. This little cabin is, perhaps, the smallest one I've ever run across, makes me think it was probably an outpost shelter of some sort.

How about you throwing a photo or two our way....been too long since you have.

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2013
    One of the things, Mary, that has always attracted me to these kind of subjects is wondering about the history of the structure. This little cabin is, perhaps, the smallest one I've ever run across, makes me think it was probably an outpost shelter of some sort.

How about you throwing a photo or two our way....been too long since you have.

Tom

Tom this is the smallest cabin I've ever seen. Makes me wonder if it was more of a storage building of some sort. I've seen a larger building like this sitting in a field, but they finally took it down. Sad to see too since it seemed fine just where it was ... smack dab in the middle of a field :D

I've been slowly taking photos. Hubby bought me a 7D in hopes that would 'kick me into gear'. No time to edit them tho. Hopefully soon I'll be posting more.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2013
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Tom this is the smallest cabin I've ever seen. Makes me wonder if it was more of a storage building of some sort. I've seen a larger building like this sitting in a field, but they finally took it down. Sad to see too since it seemed fine just where it was ... smack dab in the middle of a field :D

I've been slowly taking photos. Hubby bought me a 7D in hopes that would 'kick me into gear'. No time to edit them tho. Hopefully soon I'll be posting more.

The little cabin, as with most all early structures, probably saw multiple uses over it's life. However, the inclusion of a fireplace indicates that housing people was most likely its primary function. Not too far from the cabin is some good grazing ground. I suspect that those tending to the cows were those that used the place.

Fire up that 7D. The world is waiting to see what you come up with.:D

Tom
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2013
    Nice shots, great location! I Imagine there must be a lot if great trails out there. Be careful my friend, we don't want you getting shot at!
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2013
    The little cabin, as with most all early structures, probably saw multiple uses over it's life. However, the inclusion of a fireplace indicates that housing people was most likely its primary function. Not too far from the cabin is some good grazing ground. I suspect that those tending to the cows were those that used the place.

Tom

Wonder if it was some kind of line shack/place to stay while moving cattle .. interesting.
  • Options
    chaseltonchaselton Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2013
    Any of those barns in West Virginia?
    indefinite objects
    anything can be amazing
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice shots, great location! I Imagine there must be a lot if great trails out there. Be careful my friend, we don't want you getting shot at!

Yo Cristóbal,

There's more great trails up there than you could ever expect to explore. I've hit more than my share of them and I've only brushed the surface.

I haven't been shot at yet, but on two occasions I have had the dogs turned loose on me. During one of those episodes, Darlene says that she has never seen me make the moves I made as I scurried back to the car.

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2013
    Very nice Tom...... I enjoy looking at old farms / buildings / homes and imagine what they were like when they were new and the folks that lived or worked in them.

And also sorry I've been absent from dgrin for a year. With a lil 17month old and the take over at the dealership...... I've no time to "play" online except for what I can do on my phone.
    Are you coming to Auburn for the ACD Festival anytime soon?

-david
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2013
    chaselton wrote: »
    Any of those barns in West Virginia?

Thanks for the visit.

None of these barns were in West Virginia....all were in extreme north west NC. I've got a few more to post, two of which were in the vicinity of Damascus, Virginia.

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2013
    DJT wrote: »
    Very nice Tom...... I enjoy looking at old farms / buildings / homes and imagine what they were like when they were new and the folks that lived or worked in them.

And also sorry I've been absent from dgrin for a year. With a lil 17month old and the take over at the dealership...... I've no time to "play" online except for what I can do on my phone.
    Are you coming to Auburn for the ACD Festival anytime soon?

-david

Boy, David, it's sure great to hear from you....been way too long since you've been active here. I'm angling toward making the 2014 ACD Festival. I wouldn't dare show up without arranging to meet up with you.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Is it just my monitor or do the greens look a bit radioactive?

I don't know how many people lived in this place, but, if it was like many old cabins back then, Mom and Dad and about 15 youngsters crammed in to it.

Summer%202013%20102-X3.jpg[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    AFBlue wrote: »
    Is it just my monitor or do the greens look a bit radioactive?

Summer%202013%20102-X3.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

It's not your monitor. In all my 30+ years of exploring the Appalachians, I can't remember a time when the greens were so pronounced....from the strong, deeper-toned variety of some trees to the almost startling green seen in some grasses and pastures. I guess it's mostly a result of the two to three months of constant rain they've been getting up there.

Tom
  • Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    joshhuntnm wrote: »

I like shooting old homesteads around here too. Found one about 40 mi from here several years ago but never got there when the weather was right, usually to much sun and a bright solid blue sky. A friend went out with me last time and I did try a couple portraits of here, I'm not a portrait shooter but think they did alright. Have seen a lot that would be good for that. One years ago in my film days made /shutterbugs Talking Photo's. An old house, big house that had been deserted since the late 50's or early 60's. Never got to it but though it would be neat to go back and put people in it with a double exposure, like ghost's.
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Howdy Tom,

Another great set of some history. You did a very nice job holding the shadows mostly open. In the many barns I've shot, this is normally a problem.

Image #2 looks like chiggerville to me eek7.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2013
    DonFischer wrote: »
    I like shooting old homesteads around here too. Found one about 40 mi from here several years ago but never got there when the weather was right, usually to much sun and a bright solid blue sky. A friend went out with me last time and I did try a couple portraits of here, I'm not a portrait shooter but think they did alright. Have seen a lot that would be good for that. One years ago in my film days made /shutterbugs Talking Photo's. An old house, big house that had been deserted since the late 50's or early 60's. Never got to it but though it would be neat to go back and put people in it with a double exposure, like ghost's.

Hi Don,

Shooting these old buildings can be very addicting, can't it? Thanks for looking in.

Tom
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2013
    rwells wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

Another great set of some history. You did a very nice job holding the shadows mostly open. In the many barns I've shot, this is normally a problem.

Image #2 looks like chiggerville to me eek7.gif

Hey pard,

Ever since those chiggers worked you over several years back, you've been a changed man. rolleyes1.gifCan't say as I blame you though. Those critters are wicked.

See you, buddy,

Tom
  • Options
    NookemniccNookemnicc Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 12, 2013
    I love the last shot the most! Though all of them are wonderful with the greens so vivid :)
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    Finally catching up on stuff, and wanted to say how much I like these, Tom!
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    Nookemnicc wrote: »
    I love the last shot the most! Though all of them are wonderful with the greens so vivid :)

Thanks for looking in. The new green growth was almost blinding in its intensity. I hope that means that the coming Fall colors will be equally impressive.

Tom
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    moose135 wrote: »
    Finally catching up on stuff, and wanted to say how much I like these, Tom!

Hi John,

I hope all the rain they've had up there this Summer will help prep the trees to provide for a stunning Fall color show. The Summer " green " show was as potent and pronounced as I've ever seen.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    The fall will be great this year. Lots of rain this summer. I love to shoot old barns as well.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    I am starting to pack my bags for our tour of the Appalachians! :D I like #3 the most and would enjoy shooting that one myself. You know how many old barns we have around here, especially the old limestone ones, but they are always on fenced property. Sometimes a long lens works but it would be fun to get closer like you do. I never tire of looking at your barn shots, Tom. This is a great series.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    Tinstafl wrote: »
    The fall will be great this year. Lots of rain this summer. I love to shoot old barns as well.

As I'm sure you know, many factors influence just how beautiful the Fall color changes will be. The amount of Summer rain is certainly one of those factors. I suspect you're right....I think we're in for a stunning year of colors in the high country.

Thanks for the visit,

Tom
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    redleash wrote: »
    I am starting to pack my bags for our tour of the Appalachians! :D I like #3 the most and would enjoy shooting that one myself. You know how many old barns we have around here, especially the old limestone ones, but they are always on fenced property. Sometimes a long lens works but it would be fun to get closer like you do. I never tire of looking at your barn shots, Tom. This is a great series.

Lauren

Getting close to my subjects is a primary goal of mine. Fortunately, most of the structures I shoot are near roads or trails that allow for such approaches. I'm ever mindful, and respectful, of folk's property rights. When possible, I'll ask for permission to trespass. In many, many cases, though, the old barns are way away from anything and I'll take my chances in getting close-in.

I've got a feeling, Lauren, that the time is coming when we'll get to share some really good Appalachian experiences....probably have to wait until I get my new mountain home completed.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013

Tom

I was thinking about that little cabin. Around here we had two very old line shacks. One burned up in a range fire years ago. The other was still intact but falling apart last time I was up there. There's also and old sheep corrals with a herder's cabin on it back in there. very small cabin, not much more than a place to sleep out of the rain. It could be the small cabin in these photo's is some kind of a line shack.

If someone is not familiar with a line shack, it's a small building out on a ranch where the ranch hands could spend a night or so while out working. makes it so the cowboy doesn't have to ride back in after dark.