Options

Lightening accomplished! Sometimes you don't even have to leave your driveway!

superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
edited August 17, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Been storm chasing all over town lately trying to get a good position on a summer storm to grab my first lightening shots. Well last night just hanging out at home it all just came straight to me. These were taken barefoot in a shallow puddle in my driveway while holding an umbrella and an aluminum tripod. :dunno What can I say I got swept up in the moment :huh. Truth is these were all pretty far off and I didn't feel too threatened..

So.. a lot of 30 second duds and then this flashed by mid exposure! When it happened I almost couldn't believe it. There's a satisfaction that's hard to describe except maybe to fisherman or a hunter.

p1741500282-4.jpg

And then it almost became an embarrassment of riches..

p1743772448-4.jpg

Obviously some cropping was needed..
p1747480913-4.jpg

p1808322859-4.jpg

I'm now officially addicted... :barb
Accidents and Inspiration
One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Fantastic lightning shots. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Horrible foreground. :cry:cry:cry

Sam
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 15, 2013
    Holy crap, great lighting shots! Must disagree with my friend Sam, the power poles and wires are a most apropos foreground. :D
  • Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Thanks very much for the feedback. This is totally new to me and a good amount of dumb luck was involved. At the time I was also bummed out about the powerlines but since doing any significant repositioning was impossible (kids at home) I just went with it as a lucky learning experience. Once I got a good look at them though, and with the exception of the first shot, it turned out to be a very "happy accident". I have a personal preference of having a relevant foreground material (like including crowds in a fireworks show for example) AND I was lucky enough that the strikes sort of morphed into the lines and poles. They work out well for my usual preferences. Serendipity I suppose. And I'm now officially hooked on this. It's a really fun genre..
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Fantastic shots Steve!
    #1 is great - even with the neighborhood setting - fact is, that's where it happens sometimes.
    And it's cool that the lighting appears to be igniting the streetlamp in #3!
    Really spot-on exposures and color too!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Glad you didn't get hit. Nice captures.