Lifetime Pro Account Cancelled for Non-Profits

PewitPewit Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
We are a registered 401C non-profit that had a "lifetime" Pro account as described in your blog.
http://don.blogs.smugmug.com/2007/09/27/lifetime-free-pro-accounts-to-non-profits/

It looks as if SmugMug has now removed this offer and is now only offering one-year discount.
http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/98093

Can you confirm this is the case and that our options are to buy a Business or Portfolio account or to switch to another provider.

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2012
    Can't believe that one of the upper echelon has not made a comment ...wow...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2012
    There are many non-profit sites out there that have spent a lot of time adding data/photos, etc. Unless they are
    grandfathered in there will be a lot of organizations very pissed.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • McQMcQ Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2012
    Can't wait for the response to this.
    "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you?"

http://mcq.smugmug.com
  • mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2012
    Pewit wrote: »
    Can you confirm this is the case and that our options are to buy a Business or Portfolio account or to switch to another provider.

Welcome to the club, looks like SM has decided to unload another group of customers.

eek7.gif
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited November 6, 2012
    We are a registered 401C non-profit that had a "lifetime" Pro account as described in your blog.
    It looks as if SmugMug has now removed this offer and is now only offering one-year discount.

You might try to contact the help desk to get an answer to your question.
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new

--- Denise
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    I recently recommended a pro price plan to a UK non profit (pre contentious price rise), and they got a year 1 discount, not a lifetime thing. Sadly there's no way they'll sell enough photos to cover the high price plan, leaving us looking for alternatives....
    edited November 6, 2012
    You might try to contact the help desk to get an answer to your question.
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new

--- Denise

The other non-profits and other pro members (business members) who recommend this option to non-profits might want to know the bottom line too. That's part of what DGrin is for, isn't it? It's not like the OP's question was a tech support question. It affects a lot of people who might like to see the answer here.

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2012
    McQ wrote: »
    The other non-profits and other pro members (business members) who recommend this option to non-profits might want to know the bottom line too. That's part of what DGrin is for, isn't it? It's not like the OP's question was a tech support question. It affects a lot of people who might like to see the answer here.

For me things started feeling Hinkey when we, the clients , started being routed to the email system, when we had always been told to keep it on the forum so it would benefit all......personally I feel the help desk should be used for only personal matters that no one wants aired in the public forum. JMVVHO
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2012
    So no answer from HQ? I would also like to know if they are dumping the NP orgs because I have personally recommended SM to two of them.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2012
    Montec wrote: »
    So no answer from HQ? I would also like to know if they are dumping the NP orgs because I have personally recommended SM to two of them.

Dumping is such a harsh word.

SM is just making it unpleasant to stay and hoping they go away on their own.
    edited November 7, 2012
    I see a slow and steady culture change beginning here at SM.
    I suppose it was inevitable.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2012
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for bringing this up - we have been brainstorming about this and will respond soon!
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2012
    http://don.blogs.smugmug.com/2007/09/27/lifetime-free-pro-accounts-to-non-profits/

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/98093

Sorry, I just found this thread.

I'm digging around internally to figure out what happened and why. We certainly want to help non-profits, but I'll bet it turns out there are various business, legal, and tax implications to these types of accounts that I didn't know about 5 years ago when I made that blog post. Amazing how complicated some of this stuff is.

Let me get informed about what's going on and we'll get back to you. Sorry it took me a few days - we've been buried up to our eyebrows in something huge that I'm sure you'll love (which, I'm happy to report, has its first private beta testers, so we're getting closer).
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2012
    I cannot comprehend the mentality that you deserve to get something for nothing.

In a nation of children, Santa Claus wins, eh?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited November 8, 2012
    onethumb wrote: »
    Sorry, I just found this thread.

I'm digging around internally to figure out what happened and why. We certainly want to help non-profits, but I'll bet it turns out there are various business, legal, and tax implications to these types of accounts that I didn't know about 5 years ago when I made that blog post. Amazing how complicated some of this stuff is.

Let me get informed about what's going on and we'll get back to you. Sorry it took me a few days - we've been buried up to our eyebrows in something huge that I'm sure you'll love (which, I'm happy to report, has its first private beta testers, so we're getting closer).

We're still making sure we have all of our ducks in a row, but I believe what happened is an employee (who's no longer here) made a change to this policy two years ago that I wasn't aware of. Instead of lifetime accounts, non-profits were being offered first-year-free or discounted years.

I feel strongly that this was a bad decision. If I'd known about it, I'd have stopped it. Now that I know, I intend to. I feel like we (SmugMug) have a responsibility to help organizations that are trying to help their communities, and this is one of the ways we can do that.

Assuming there aren't any hiccups (again, still checking), I plan to fully re-institute the lifetime policy for verified, registered non-profit organizations so they can continue the good work they do for the rest of us.

Sorry for the confusion, it's not just me building this company any more, and sometimes things slip through the cracks. Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention, and please keep doing so - I try, every day, to do what's right for our customers, long term, above all else. I can't do that without great feedback from all of you.

Thanks again.
    edited November 8, 2012
    I cannot comprehend the mentality that you deserve to get something for nothing.

Actually the survival of most Not for Profit Organizations depends on the good will of people and companies like SM to provide services and even labor.

And it is not for 'nothing'. NPO's do a huge amount of good work that otherwise would not be done. We all benefit from this. Companies like SM do this sort of thing as part of their corporate responsibility to the community and should be applauded for it.

It's certainly not about having a mentality that we deserve to get something for nothing as you say. Many, many people involved with these NPO's work countless hours for nothing but the satisfaction that they are giving back.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2012
    We're still making sure we have all of our ducks in a row, but I believe what happened is an employee (who's no longer here) made a change to this policy two years ago that I wasn't aware of. Instead of lifetime accounts, non-profits were being offered first-year-free or discounted years.

I feel strongly that this was a bad decision. If I'd known about it, I'd have stopped it. Now that I know, I intend to. I feel like we (SmugMug) have a responsibility to help organizations that are trying to help their communities, and this is one of the ways we can do that.

Assuming there aren't any hiccups (again, still checking), I plan to fully re-institute the lifetime policy for verified, registered non-profit organizations so they can continue the good work they do for the rest of us.

Sorry for the confusion, it's not just me building this company any more, and sometimes things slip through the cracks. Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention, and please keep doing so - I try, every day, to do what's right for our customers, long term, above all else. I can't do that without great feedback from all of you.

Thanks again.

Nice honest response. I anticipated nothing less. clap.gif

Sam
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2012
    Wow! I am impressed!

Sherry
  • Pure EnergyPure Energy Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2012

You talking to me? Cuz I highly doubt it. The features, fixes, and slight tweaks I want probably aren't on the horizon anytime soon.

In a nation of children, Santa Claus wins, eh?

All those in favor of an ObamaNation win too! (or do they?)

Where some may have had hope four years ago... at least us, at SM can have hope now:
    for more gallery levels, less customization code to insert, more account tiers with prices more people can afford and that aren't abused by users that severely undercut everyone else; and last but not least, all of the other great ideas, fixes and tweaks we want implemented.
    I have a great idea SM... can you double our yearly Pro (business) account fees to re-institute the policy of free lifetime Pro accounts to non-profits? Oh wait, you already have doubled the fees from $150 to $300. Cool. Go ahead and give out free lifetime pro accounts then.

However, I'm pretty sure the few non-profits I'm involved with would gladly let me set up a site in their name at no cost to them. Why involve SM beyond a one-time discount when the fees have just dramatically risen to all Pro (Business) users and most likely will for all other users too (at some point)?

Out of curiosity... how many free lifetime pro accounts would there be?
    edited November 8, 2012

If its re-instated, my opinion of Smugmug will shoot back up. Here's hoping. (yeah, I get that there might be tax/legal reasons, fair enough)

The non-profit I work with is a theatre group, which works with kids from all backgrounds, particularly socially excluded. They have two part-time staff that work non-stop and the kids love it. I give my time as a photographer to them for free and suggested by selling the photos to parents through Smugmug they could make a bit of extra cash, without having the extra work of trying to self-fulfil orders. We set everything up, I spent time showing the staff how it worked and they got approval from their board of trustees to sell photographs as a revenue stream. Three months later the pro price plan increase was announced.

The price rise really screwed us up; it went from a "if we're careful we should make a bit more money" to "there's no way we'll even cover the cost of the subscription".

angelshed.smugmug.com
    edited November 8, 2012

Thanks again.

This is a direct, honest, and much appreciated response. I'd love to see more of these, especially in the places where they're still badly needed.

It would go a long way to repairing a damaged reputation.

edited November 21, 2012
    quick bump to see if there's any more news on this please...
    edited December 10, 2012
    edited December 10, 2012
    I'm happy to confirm that verified non-profits will continue to receive free, lifetime accounts.

Enjoy!
  • JohnnycbJohnnycb Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    This is great news as I have donated my time at no cost for the last 5 years with a NPO that serves our troops families as well as our local disadvantaged school kids and their families.

Johnny
    I'm happy to confirm that verified non-profits will continue to receive free, lifetime accounts.

Enjoy!
  • LindyLindy Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    Johnnycb wrote: »
    This is great news as I have donated my time at no cost for the last 5 years with a NPO that serves our troops families as well as our local disadvantaged school kids and their families.

Johnny

Hey Johnny, for you, and the others who find this post, we're pretty excited, too. We'll need for you to visit this page and complete and submit the form so we can get you hooked up: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/98093

Enjoy!!
    edited December 16, 2012

Enjoy!

Fab news! Thanks for the update :D
  • waywardfoolwaywardfool Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2012
    Lindy wrote: »
    Hey Johnny, for you, and the others who find this post, we're pretty excited, too. We'll need for you to visit this page and complete and submit the form so we can get you hooked up: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/98093

Enjoy!!

What's the turn-around time after a request? I filled out the form last Tuesday. Just wondering how long to wait to find out if approved??

Thanks,
  • ecfinnecfinn Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 27, 2013
    Lindy wrote: »

Enjoy!!

Just bringing this topic back to the top as it appears the page linked above here indicates the free lifetime pro membership is no longer available again. We are back to getting a discount on the first year pro subscription.
  • Daniel UKDaniel UK Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2013
    I don't think it was updated after the announcement.