Options

Additional Watermark Placements Please

WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
edited April 27, 2016 in SmugMug Customization
I created a new, basic watermark... but would love to have the option given to place it on one of the rule of thirds horizon lines.....

See this image for example;

20160423133-XL.jpg

Could we get an option to have had this watermark centered on the lower rule of thirds horizon line? Would that make this watermark placement look so much more professional?

Thanks
Lee Wiren

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited April 27, 2016
    I was about to move this thread to SM Feature Requests, but maybe someone else has a classier method of relocating watermarks. In the mean time, I'll chime in with what I did (2 years ago) that might help solve Wiren's question.

I would also love a dynamic watermark placement tool that I could manipulate by changing opacity and location. I think it would be a very cool asset for SM to have.

That said, I wouldn't wait around for that to happen, so what I did, a couple years back, was to create a bunch of watermarks for various locations that I could apply to any photo. This was very time consuming, but I can now place my watermarks just about anywhere in my images.

i-LHwjLbN-XL.jpg
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2016
    David_S85 wrote: »
    I would also love a dynamic watermark placement tool that I could manipulate by changing opacity and location. I think it would be a very cool asset for SM to have.

I can see where, in the "Create WM" tool of the Business Section of Account Settings you can adjust the opacity of the WM you create, but the location placement is limited.
    David_S85 wrote: »
    That said, I didn't wait around for that to happen, so what I did, a couple years back, was to create a bunch of watermarks for various locations that I could apply to any photo. This was time consuming, but I can now place my watermarks just about anywhere in my images.

This looks great David!... Could I get some tutelage from you so I can go through the process and do so myself? I am ok spending the time to do it so that way I have it available whenever I want, I just do not have the knowledge on how to do so.

Thank you for your resonse.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited April 27, 2016
    You can only adjust the opacity once as you save it to your site. From then on, that is the way that saved watermark will appear. What I was talking about was some tool (yet to be made) in SM to force change the opacity after it has been uploaded and can be dynamically adjusted right before application to a photo. Made better, the would allow the user to place it anywhere on a picture. Sounds very complicated to achieve, which is why I don't think we'll ever have such a thing.

What I did was to create a whole bunch of .PNG watermark images in an editing program and then saved multiple files with that WM logo placed in different locations in both portrait and landscape orientations. I named the saved WM files accordingly.

Here is a hidden gallery on my site with one of two page of those stored watermark files...

i-2wkqfT2-XL.jpg
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky