Options

Help! Event Photography Questions

bokehdotbokehdot Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited March 19, 2016 in Mind Your Own Business
I'm new to professional event photography and need help structuring my arrangements with customers. I'm not a full-time photographer, more a hobbyist, but would like to setup reasonable expectations with the customer.

Event Scenario

Customer: Dance studio (student dancers, under age 19)
Photo work: Day 1, Dress Rehearsal: Artsy shots from any location in the theater; Day 2, Performance: Shots from a single location in the theater with at least one full group shot per dance

My questions:
  1. Should I maintain copyright of the images?
  2. If I maintain copyright, should I agree NOT to publicly display any of the images?
  3. Should I hand over every image taken or a subset?
  4. Should the images I hand over be post-processed?
  5. What limitations of use should the customer have?
  6. Should I manage print sales or the customer?
  7. Which party (or both) should have model releases?
  8. What is a reasonable hourly rate for the services?

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2016
    bokehdot wrote: »
    I'm new to professional event photography and need help structuring my arrangements with customers. I'm not a full-time photographer, more a hobbyist, but would like to setup reasonable expectations with the customer.

Event Scenario

Photo work: Day 1, Dress Rehearsal: Artsy shots from any location in the theater; Day 2, Performance: Shots from a single location in the theater with at least one full group shot per dance

My questions:
    1. Should I maintain copyright of the images?
    2. If I maintain copyright, should I agree NOT to publicly display any of the images?
    3. Should I hand over every image taken or a subset?
    4. Should the images I hand over be post-processed?
    5. What limitations of use should the customer have?
    6. Should I manage print sales or the customer?
    7. Which party (or both) should have model releases?
    8. What is a reasonable hourly rate for the services?

I am on a road trip and can't answer in full, but based on the questions your asking I
    don't think your ready to be charging anyone.

1. Yes
    2. What does the client want?
    3. No
    4. Yes
    5. Depends on you and your client.
    6. See #5.
    7. Depends.
    8. Can vary based on market area, photographer, experience, etc. My gut says between $50.00 and $125.00 per hour.

Sam
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2016

Which party (or both) should have model releases?
    [/LIST]

If they are under legal age where you are, be sure you understand any requirements you have for permission and record keeping. Personally I would want a conversation with a lawyer before doing a commercial shoot (see next sentence) with minors. Model releases are for commercial use, in the US that does not mean selling the photo, but rather using the likeness in advertising and similar. Editorial and artistic use (even if you make money for it) may not require such releases (in the US), but photos of minors can be a different matter based on local and state laws.

I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2016
    Now is the time for you to start deciding who YOU want to be as a for-hire photographer. Do you want to be a photographer who shoots jpegs and hands everything over to the client at the end of a shoot, or do you want to be one who carefully selects only the best shots and post-processes them to reflect your individual style? There's a world of difference between the two, and your choices affect your pricing, your marketing, your contracts, and what clients you target. If you let the client sell prints of your images, that is a potential loss of income for you and needs to be factored into your pricing. Only you can make those decisions. As Sam rightly pointed out, much of the questions you ask are decisions to be made between you and your client. What does the client want, what are you willing to do, and at what price? And get your paperwork in line, in addition to a contract before the shoot you should have a licensing agreement that spells out exactly how the client is allowed to use the images.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2016
    With respect to questions 3 and 4, do you really want the world to see your bad shots? Do you really want the world to see uncorrected or untouched shots? If you answer either as "yes" step back and ask yourself that question again. Repeat until the answer becomes "no".
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    bokehdotbokehdot Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 18, 2016
    Your replies are much appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2016
    Your replies are much appreciated. Thanks.

I am glad you came back. The replys you receive may not always be what you want to hear, but will represent a variety of honest opinions and experiences.

There is a lot of very good info to be had here. A place to learn, grow and contribute.

Sam
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2016
    Sam wrote: »
    I am glad you came back. The replys you receive may not always be what you want to hear, but will represent a variety of honest opinions and experiences.

There is a lot of very good info to be had here. A place to learn, grow and contribute.

Sam

Sam, I couldn't agree more. This is a great community with an amazing array of skills, talent and knowledge and amazingly nearly everyone enjoys helping other people out. Cheers.Peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course