Options

High in the Arctic !! Eskimo....

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Majik ImajeMajik Imaje Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2011
    Although I wasn't in Barrow this year for whaling; we are still in Anchorage.
    But under the 'fair use act' I can use these photos from a friend that was there.
    A whale was caught not too far away from this crew, That animal being cut up and divided brought the smell of blood into the air; polar bears soon arrive in many different locations looking for food.
    Making noise, waving arms, shouting and firing a rifle into the ice close by is enough to scare them away.

polar-bear.jpg
    It is always a good thing to have someone in front of you with a rifle!! (chuckle) Just in case.!!

polar-bear2.jpg

No one is going to shoot a baby; polar bear or a teenager. The adults however sometimes present a problem. They are stubborn. Every attempt is always made to get that bear out of the camp site area and back away from where people are located.
    front-umiaq.jpg
    This is the wrong side of an umiaq to be on. I Have always been told - stay away from the left side of the umiaq. Only walk and sit on the right side. I have no idea how this image was created. I only know wht I have learned in the past and some things are very taboo out on the ocean ice. This is one of them. Wearing Red is another no no.. blues, whites, browns. are ok to wear but no other bright colors.allowed..
    wrongside.jpg

Again the wrong side of the umiaq; I have seen in the past; hunters pick up their rifles and tell the person sternly; get away from that side of the umiaq!
    you give away their position by standing up in that area before the umiaq. The whales approach from that direction. (left). Hunters are always BEHIND the umiaq. never in front of it.
    wrongside2.jpg
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

working around the clock to restore lost 'forum' & all photos
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2011
    Oh my ... those bears do come in close.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Oh my ... those bears do come in close.

Yes; you must be aware of your surroundings on all sides.

ANYTHING; can happen @ any time with no warning. You must be prepared.. .. that is the only way to survive out here.

Mistakes can be very costly! this is no video game; This is the real thing; and there is danger present in all directions from all types of different sources, The ice, & Polar Bears are enough to keep you very busy, add to that the wind. Wind storms can happen in the blink of an eye. Be sure to spot the tell tale signs by keeping your eyes on clouds and movements of the clouds. What type wind from which direction? These are the signs you constantly watch and observe.
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited August 5, 2011
    I've got something new for you today. One of the most amazing multimedia galleries I have ever seen. CosmoCoder is the genius that designed this incredible feature rich eye-popping 'multimedia' gallery that needs to be seen to be appreciated. Here are some screen captures that show the different modes of the gallery.

upper2.jpg

Thumb-gallery.jpg

The only 'bad' part of this whole gallery 'package' is you have to purchase it - $15 bux!!

CHECK IT OUT HERE

The setup is super simple. This can run from your desktop or a hosted server

LIVE WORKINIG GALLERY WITH WHALING VIDEOS

I have many videos posted here you haven't been able to view as of yet !!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited December 9, 2013
    We still make bracelets & ear-rings every day.
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

• Options
    edited November 25, 2015
    Happy Thanksgiving from the upper regions of the Arctic in Alaska !!

Big grins for all you "grinners"!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM