Options

SmugMug plug-in for Lightroom CC on Mac

rmattbill1rmattbill1 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited June 27, 2016 in SmugMug Support
Hi There,
I'm using the latest version of the plug-in (3.0.8.0) on the latest release of Lightroom CC (2015.6) on a new MacBook Pro with OS X El Capitan (10.11.5) and keep running into bizarre behavior. In previously uploaded galleries, random pictures keep popping up into the "Modified for Re-Publish" window at the top of the screen, even though I haven't modified the photos. If I go ahead and re-publish them, new photos will pop into the "Modified for Re-Publish" window. I keep playing whack-a-mole, but new photos keep popping up there. This is in multiple galleries, and resyncing LR with SmugMug didn't resolve the problem.

Any ideas?

Best,
Matt

Comments

• Options
    Lille UlvenLille Ulven Registered Users Posts: 567 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2016
    Hi Matt

Good to know I am not the only one on that one.
    What has helped for a day or two was to mark all photos in that particular gallery for re-publishing and publish them all together. But of course after a couple of days the game started again. I did add the description for this to my smug mug heroes case on a sync that is causing LR to crash (which I am told is caused by one single gallery - they're still investigating on how to fix it), but I guess it could be a good idea to send your case to the smug mug heroes too.
    Just remembering an earlier error in LR that I had...at that time LR changed the crop of my photos without my knowledge - say I had cropped a photo so that the resulting photo would be only the middle third of the original, moving on to the next photo(s) this crop was then automatically moved to the bottom or top of the first photo...maybe something like that is going on in the background again? Maybe we should have a closer look into those "unchanged" files? I will see if writing all metadata to the files will help them not to get marked as changed later on today...

Best regards

Lille Ulven
    https://www.lilleulven.smugmug.com - The Photos of my travels
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited June 21, 2016
    We've been able to reproduce the behavior and are currently investigating the causes. Can you confirm for me that you're using version 2015.6 and not one of the earlier versions, like 2015.5.1?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2016
    I can confirm that one, yes it is LR 2015.6 where this occurs.

Best regards

Lille Ulven
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2016
    I can confirm that one, yes it is LR 2015.6 where this occurs.

If you happen to be using, or downground back to 2015.5.1, this strange behavior does not exist.
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2016
    I didn't quite understand how to downgrade when I looked it up regarding that other case of mine...which of course also does not exist in 2015.5...
    Guess I won't downgrade until David confirms that my other case is for Adobe to fix, that way at least I can verify if it is working or not if he can fix it from the plugin side before I downgrade.

But if you can post a downgrade "manual" that would be helpful :)

Best regards

Lille Ulven
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2016
    2015.5.1: Direct download links are available here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2016/04/lightroom-cc-2015-5-1-now-available.html

Just look for the section that says: "Direct download links: Win | Mac"
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2016
    Which operating system are you using? Windows or Mac?
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 22, 2016
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2016
    Matt,

In LR 6.6 (CC 2015.6), Adobe fixed a bug that I had reported...
    https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr-cc-2015-recognized-faces-prevent-publishing-service-smugmug-from-marking-a-photo-as-up-to-date

LR stores a hash of the metadata and develop settings for each published photo to determine whether the image is in the "Published" to "To Be Republished" state. I believe that to fix the bug above, Adobe has updated the way it caches the data, which may mean that it think that all photos may need to be republished.

The easiest way to rectify this issue, is to mark the photos are published by right-clicking and select "Mark as Up-To-Date".

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2016
    David, could that affect windows as well?

I just opened a gallery not touched in ages, and it looked OK, then as I sat there watching it marked one after the other as needing to be published.

So I went to another gallery - same thing.

So this isn't a Mac only thing?

And we all right now need to mark them all as "up to date" or risk re-publishing every photo ever sent?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2016
    Incidentally I had a few photos on Flickr through a plugin, and I looked in there and every single one did the same thing -- as I watched, they all one by one shifted to "modified".

I should add that I had recently deleted all preview cache items, but I would not expect that to matter, would it?

And just to make it more complex -- you can't mark them all as "up to date" until they go into a "modified" state, and it doesn't seem like they start out they way, they have to sit on display (probably related to preview build). So I hope I'm not starting a scare based on having deleted my preview cache (for completely unrelated reasons). The preview cache doesn't make them rebuild does it? I'll test it in a few minutes after it stops for the current gallery.

OK, I let one process to where all were "modified", marked all up to date. I deleted all my previews again just to see if that mattered (with LR closed), then opened LR and went back into that folder and all was well.

So at least in a brief review, for mine, it appears EVERY published collection decides to mark photos to republished as they are viewed. I can not test the reverse situation with preview builds, i.e. if one was already built before the 2015.6 upgrade, so I am not completely sure this is the same problem you are seeing, but I've never seen any connection before in deleting preview files and publishing.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2016
    Yes. I believe it would affect Windows as well...and no deleting the preview cache has no bearing on this.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2016
    Yeah, this seems to be a mess. Have you thought of any way to do a mass update of "everything is published"? Can one just update some checksum to match some other checksum?

You can't "Mark as up to date" until each one individually processes to think it needs to be published, and at least so far it seems like you need to go into each gallery and just sit and wait.

I'm surprised no one else is screaming.

Especially since it doesn't seem to be Smugmug specific, but all publishing, right?
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2016
    David, is it possible this is only occurring in certain cases, notably that a preview build is causing it?

For unrelated reasons, as I mentioned, I deleted all previews after installing 2015.6. The galleries where I see them one by one every second or so being marked modified had no previews. I built all current year previews overnight, and now when I go into a gallery with only 2016 images, they all show up instantly as modified and needing to retransmit.

Ones from 2015 still do the one by one.

So... at least in principle I can rebuild all previews, and then go to each gallery and mark them up to date (there's still no way to do it across galleries, it appears; the option just doesn't appear on the context menu). But at least then I don't have to sit and wait.

But if this was happening to everyone, I think there would be a huge outcry. So I'm speculating that whatever triggers this is not happening unless some action is taken, including a preview build. Unfortunately I have destroyed my previews so I cannot test to see if a rebuild of a pre-2015.6 preview does it, or it requires deleting the preview cache, or it's something else. If I get some time I may have a 2015.4 or 2015.5 environment on a laptop and may try to experiment a bit.

Have you any more insight into the actual data changes that cause this, internal to the catalog? Or any pointers to what ADobe said they did?

I have tried building 1:1 previews on top of the post 2015.6 standard previews, and that does not affect the published status.

And I am 100% sure that in prior versions removing the preview cache and rebuilding did no affect the published status.

Other than having about 16 hours of computer time invested, I am tempted to remove the preview cache again and see if they go back to modified.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2016
    I did two experiments.

I found a photo that I had marked up to date. I went in manually and deleted all trace of one photo's preview (the file, the entry in previews.db in ImageCacheEntry, and in root-pixels.db deleted the RootPixelse entry, 5 entries in PyramidLevel and one in Pyramid). I then went back and looked, and it was not marked as modified, built previews, still not marked as modified. So subsequent preview builds does not seem to have an impact.

I then did another check, and need to pursue it further, but I found a gallery I had not touched (no preview build, not looked at). I checked the PhotoNeedsUpdating flat and all were zero. I opened the gallery in Lightroom and let it build previews (just because it was visible). One by one they popped up to modified, and I stopped part way through, and those were marked as PhotoNeedsUpdating.

What I'm going to do is find the data I think may matter, and see what gets changed during the preview build.

But I think that's why this is affecting only some people -- if you already have a preview built, and do not do something to cause it to be lost, then LR has no reason to do it again so it's not resetting.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2016
    OK, this is what I think happened to me, whether it had any relation to what started this thread I do not know.

I found an image that had no previews built (after I deleted) and was NOT marked (yet) for republish.

I found the key values for the tables, notably AgRemotePhot's developSettingsDigest and adobe_imageDevelopSettings digest fields, and I saved the settings before I went further.

I opened the gallery and just let it sit -- it shifted all from published to modified.

I went back into the database, and the adobe_imageDevelopSettings had changed, notably the digest changed, and the associated settings had been changed to include a new version (went from 9.4 to 9.6) and upright-guided settings replaced the ProspectiveX and ProspectiveY fields. In other words, it reconsidered the develop settings as a side effect of creating the preview, changed the settings, which changed the digest, which made the digest not match the digest in the AgRemotePhoto and that in turn flagged the image to be republished.

My GUESS is that this will not happen if you have previews built.

My further GUESS is that if anytime in the forever future you delete your previews (like moving to a new system), that assuming those previews pre-date this version (any version change?), that later as you rebuild previews you will find you need to republish.

Bad Adobe, bad... Preview builds should not change the development digest (in my opinion). Heck...I don't think anything but going into the Develop option should change them.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2016
    I tried an experiment. I had a tablet with LR 2015.4 on it that had never connected to Smugmug, but had previews (regular size).

I did the following:

1) Add SM LR plugin
    2) Conenct to Smugmug, and did NOT have options set to sync (I wanted whole separate gallery)
    3) Created a new gallery
    4) Copied in 15 photos that were already in LR
    5) Published, and let it finish.
    6) I exited Lightroom, and updated to 2015.6.
    7) Went into the gallery - all said "published", no problem so far.
    8) Did a build 1:1 preview on the first photo (I did not go into develop or change any develop settings)
    9) The photo went into modified state, and needed to be published.

I think that's broken (in LR not SM plugin). It implies that people who rebuild a preview dating from prior to 2015.6 will get it marked to republish even if current.