Gulf Islands National Seashore

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited October 31, 2006 in Landscapes
Gulf Islands National Seashore was hit hard by both Hurricane Ivan and Hurricane Katrina. There was one Ranger Interpreter alone who lost about 20 years worth of photographs and papers relating to Fort Pickens. Her office was on Santa Rosa Island just outside of Fort Pickens and the entire building she was in was washed off it's foundation. While I was there this past week I could see some of the work being done to restore some of the facilities. The debris field where they have placed the refrigerators, cabinets, boat hulls, trash, scrap lumber, etc. that washed ashore is almost as tall as a two-story building. Since the roads were washed out, they now have a problem even getting that junk removed.

Plans through 2007 still do not even cover funding, etc. to get the road replaced. The ranger who carried me out to Fort Pickens gave me one hair-raising ride for the seven miles it takes to get out to Fort Pickens. Basically, it is put the vehicle in four-wheel drive low and floor the gas to get through the sand and hope that you don't get struck.

At any rate, Fort Pickens is open to the public, but the only way one can get there without the help of the National Park Service is to take a boat and there aren't any regularly scheduled trips to the fort. That means that you either have to have your own boat or hire one for the day to get out to Fort Pickens.

To make a long story shorter, I have been doing some work for them to try and build their photographic holdings back up. They have treated me great and I have really had fun my last two trips down to help them out. You can see the results to date by visiting my Gulf Islands National Seashore Gallery. So far I have shot around the Santa Rosa Island Area, the Naval Live Oaks Area, Fort Barrancas Area, and the Fort Pickens Area.

During my next trip down, I will be shooting at Fort Massachusetts off the Mississippi coast at Gulfport, Mississippi. That should be interesting as it was covered with a 30-foot storm surge from Hurricane Katrina, but they do at least have it opened for the public again.

They have even given me my own area on the Gulf Islands National Seashore website. So far they have only placed two photos there as place markers, but more will be going up over the coming months.

Here are just a few of the photos which I took during my latest trip down. I hope that you enjoy them and there are plenty more in the gallery linked above which also include the photos from my August trip when I shot in the Fort Barrancas Area.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Click on the images for EXIF data.

Sunrise over the Santa Rosa Area of GINS. The first was taken just before the sun came up and the second about 5-10 minutes after sunrise.

106079110-L.jpg

106079132-O.jpg

The next few photographs were taken in or near Fort Pickens.

106078336-L.jpg

15-inch Rodman Gun
106078421-L.jpg

Taken inside Fort Pickens.
106078541-L.jpg

Taken on the Nature Trail near Fort Pickens.
106078833-O.jpg

A gun port on the outside of Fort Pickens.
106078793-O.jpg

I happened to be there while the Monarch Butterfly was passing through. This photo was taken in the Naval Live Oaks Area of GINS. As a side note, even though the live oak wood for the USS Constitution didn't come from this area when it was originally built, the wood from this area was used in it's 1929 restoration.
106079012-L.jpg
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    Dixie wrote:
    Gulf Islands National Seashore was hit hard by both Hurricane Ivan and Hurricane Katrina. .......To make a long story shorter, I have been doing some work for them to try and build their photographic holdings back up. They have treated me great and I have really had fun my last two trips down to help them out. You can see the results to date by visiting my Gulf Islands National Seashore Gallery. So far I have shot around the Santa Rosa Island Area, the Naval Live Oaks Area, Fort Barrancas Area, and the Fort Pickens Area.

During my next trip down, I will be shooting at Fort Massachusetts off the Mississippi coast at Gulfport, Mississippi. That should be interesting as it was covered with a 30-foot storm surge from Hurricane Katrina, but they do at least have it opened for the public again.

They have even given me my own area on the Gulf Islands National Seashore website. So far they have only placed two photos there as place markers, but more will be going up over the coming months.]

Hi Dixie, GOOD JOB !!!!! Nice series of pics and a great story. Sounds like you have an interesting and worthwhile project ahead of you.thumb.gif
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    I like your eye
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    Dixie, that's a good thing you're doing and you've already got quite a collection there. I did enjoy seeing these as well as the whole gallery. thumb.gif
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    I applaud what you're doing. It's really wonderful when photographers use their pictures as a way to educate and increase awareness on issues that are close to their heart.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Thanks to each of you for your kind comments.

...and if anyone is going to be in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park area from today (Oct 30) through next Monday (Nov 6) drop me a PM and maybe we can get together. I will be shooting what's left of the fall colors for the next week.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!