which lens to dump?

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited August 8, 2014 in People
Hello old friends,
I haven't done much with myself photography wise. It has been hard with my spouse's brain disease, but I want to get back to it. A few years ago I invested in a few NIKKON lenses knowing I could sell them later, it's this or jewelry at the moment.
So I am asking which you would sell off if you were me. I mostly shoot newborns, children, families. My GO TO lens is my 50mm 1:4. I also have the 24-70 and the 70-200 those I KEEP.

Options to sell are

1. 85mm 1:1.4D ( once I picked up my 50 I never went back to this one)

2. 105mm 1:2.8GED ( got it for babies haven't used much yet)

3. 135mm 1:2 D ( haven't had time to get the hang of what this lens can do)

and just for fun here is my latest grandchild...

DSC_1812%20copy%203-XL.jpg
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2014
    Sorry to hear about your spouse.

Love the grandchild image - I have five and they are my favorite photo subjects.

Regarding lenses of three you have listed, the one I would like to get the most would be the 135mm, if I could afford it.

Check out B&HPhoto used (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Used-Equipment/ci/2870/N/4294247188) , KEH.com and FredMiranda.com to see what is selling.

Take care, Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2014
    Personally, I'd sell the 70-200 before I parted with the 135 DC. IMHO it is the best portrait lens ever made, especially if you're a bokeh junkie. Biggest benefit to the 135 vs the 70-200, it's lighter and there is NO distortion whatsoever and the bokeh is smoother.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2014
    Trudy, you have a lot of overlap there. If you really like using your 50mm over your 85mm as your really fast lens, I see no reason why you couldn't sell any or all of the three you have listed. I doubt you would miss any of them.

I would never sell my 70-200mm.
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2014
    I'm with Bryce on this one...I sell the 70-200mm. If you HAVE to keep the 70-200mm, I'd sell the 85/1.4D based on what you wrote (the 85/1.4G is my favorite lens).
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2014
    Personally I would never sell the 70/200. The compression that lens has is just super. I'm not a bohke junkie so I would sell the 2nd and 3rd lens listed. Sorry to hear about your hubby, keep the faith and a prayer your way.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2014
    I am sorry for your situation. Your question is one that only you can answer. The responses you get are going to be biased towards how the person uses their gear.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2014
    God, the things i'd do for the 135mm one.

i'm sorry about the reasoning behind looking at this, though. :(
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2014
    Thanks everyone !! Foques.. LOVE your reply !! Guess I will keep the 135 no matter what. I love that I can count on my old buds here, I have missed you.
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2014
    Of those choices I would keep the 85, 70-200 and the 24-70. For me that is my big three that I would never part with.

If you love your 50 keep it and dump the rest, just my opinion of course.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2014
    zoomer wrote: »
    Of those choices I would keep the 85, 70-200 and the 24-70. For me that is my big three that I would never part with.

If you love your 50 keep it and dump the rest, just my opinion of course.

But the 50mm is her "Go To" lens.

I wounder if you need the 24-70. If you are only shooting single or double portraits, it's not really necessary. I tend to use mine mostly if I'm shooting families in tight quarters or as an event lens.
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2014
    I'm sorry for your situation, but please sell the jewelry.
    edited August 1, 2014
    jpc wrote: »
    I'm sorry for your situation, but please sell the jewelry.

NOW THAT made me laugh !!!:D
    Trudy

NIKON D700
    edited August 4, 2014
    My favorite venue to sell items was closed until Monday and I heard a commercial from a big jewelry store that buys jewelry and so I decided to sell that instead and got a check the same afternoon. Meanwhile I have been playing with my 85mm and I realized I stopped using it because my studio was too small for full body shots.

grandson waving bye bye to a train...

DSC_4628aaaa-L.jpg
    Trudy

NIKON D700
  • TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2014
    Sorry for the situation. I think you did the right thing. Jewelry looks pretty but lens work.
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2014
    Very Sorry Also, I would put then all up and the first two to go are gone, last one I would give a second thought. Hopefully that will be the 135.....
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com