Options

Child Beach Portrait

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited July 21, 2014 in People
There were thunderstorms all around and the beach looked dreary. For this I used a warming gel on off camera flash shot through an umbrella.

p241475155-5.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2014
    Nice shot. Are you telling us that you put personal lubricant on your flash???
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2014
    Nice shot. Are you telling us that you put personal lubricant on your flash???

Use of colored gels in photography terms isn't about personal lubricants. http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-using-gels-to-correct.html
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2014
    Ya can't really tell it was a beach shot, but given the conditions, it looks like you took lemons and made a very tasty lemonade!

The gel gives it a nice sunset or sunrise type of feel.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2014
    Ya can't really tell it was a beach shot, but given the conditions, it looks like you took lemons and made a very tasty lemonade!

The gel gives it a nice sunset or sunrise type of feel.

Thanks, here's a better shot for the beach setting.
    p554092060-5.jpg
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2014
    The second one is great!

When you use these gels, are they what's referred to at CTO? As I understand they come in various 'cuts' like a full, half and quarter. Is this what was used?

....still learning....
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2014
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Thanks, here's a better shot for the beach setting.
    p554092060-5.jpg

That is a great shot, Jon. Everything from the exposure to the expression on his face. Well done...

thumb.gif
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2014
    M38A1 wrote: »
    The second one is great!

When you use these gels, are they what's referred to at CTO? As I understand they come in various 'cuts' like a full, half and quarter. Is this what was used?

....still learning....

The "gel" I use is an orange diffuser dome. I keep it simple so for these family shoots I don't use the traditional thin sheet gels. I use the gels depending on how the sunlight looks.

In regards to to cuts, yes there are various degrees like full,1/2,1/4 etc. I just use the orange diffuser and adjust WB in post.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2014
    Mongrel wrote: »
    That is a great shot, Jon. Everything from the exposure to the expression on his face. Well done...

thumb.gif

Thanks!
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2014
    Love the second one, great capture.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2014
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2014
    Great photos... I have never used gels, just started using a target (awesome when time permits). Im assuming for someone looking to get a warmer feel would it be neccassary to have a gel/dome on hand or manually adjust in post? Is there any difference minus the extra post step?
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2014
    Gaby617 wrote: »
    Great photos... I have never used gels, just started using a target (awesome when time permits). Im assuming for someone looking to get a warmer feel would it be neccassary to have a gel/dome on hand or manually adjust in post? Is there any difference minus the extra post step?

When shooting sunset pictures and using flash it helps to match the natural light so the effect isn't as jarring when shooting light calabrated at midday sun. This shot I used a warming gel on one light and regular daytime flash on another.

p361862081-5.jpg

The advantage of a gel comared to PP is to also manipulate the color and tone of an image. This image was taken after sunset, and it was overcast and dull looking on the beach. I used a warming diffuser dome on the subject. It created a nice warm look overall. However, I actually adjusted the WB to a cooler tone, played with the black levels a bit and it made it look like it was daytime because the grey looking waves became bluer when I cooled the temp. So, I was able to change the WB on two different parts of the photo without having to mask off anything.

p803264722-5.jpg
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2014
    Thanks for the gel tutorial and images to make it understandable!
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2014
    Lovely poses (the kid) and the sunset gives such a nice light…..great job
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    NicholaskongNicholaskong Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2014
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2014
    Love the fish-holder!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain