Options

Engagement Snaps

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited July 20, 2014 in People
Friends of the Mrs. are getting married at the end of July. After politely declining the request to photograph their wedding, (told them that having me photograph their wedding would be like going to a podiatrist to look at a sore throat) I offered to do a short engagement session for them so I didn't come off as a total schmuck.

Had them meet me at the park just after I finished an early morning senior session.

Eh...

So, so.

14205391750_366078d844_o.jpg[/url]

14388619351_e8052a5565_o.jpg[/url]

14205390500_6b1546a602_o.jpg[/url]

14388618541_e2d3b5e54d_o.jpg[/url]

14205389050_a747108b4a_o.jpg[/url]

14368853566_8e7d6458e7_o.jpg[/url]

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited June 10, 2014
    #1 is sooo cliche, yet the execution of it is really excellent. I love the curve of the bridge that connects the two of them placed so well in the frame. His body language is great. The only nit is the corner of the cement cap on the column that looks like it's poking her in the back of the head.
    #2 is ok
    #3 wow, really nice portrait
    #4 is another great execution of a cliche', except for the mystery-hand over her head. Whose is it, his or hers? rolleyes1.gif
    #5 kiss doesn't look real and that angle doesn't flatter her, IMO.
    #6 is gorgeous. I'm loving that bright foliage behind their heads. Pose is perfect except for shooting the back of her hand which isn't ideal but probably unavoidable here.

Nice job overall!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited June 10, 2014
    Great job on the lighting, BTW. Off camera-umbrella I'm guessing?
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2014
    good stuff!
    #5 is tosser though.
    #4 is technically great but posing/interaction is not doing it for me..it is too "youthful" is the best way I can describe it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    #4 is another great execution of a cliche', except for the mystery-hand over her head. Whose is it, his or hers? rolleyes1.gif

Nice job overall!

Hey, how do you know they aren't big fans of the Adam's Family?:D

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It be helpful!

And yup, shoot through umbrella and a second bare speedlight in some.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2014
    Qarik wrote: »
    good stuff!
    #5 is tosser though.
    #4 is technically great but posing/interaction is not doing it for me..it is too "youthful" is the best way I can describe it.

I agree!

Thanks Qarik.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2014
    LIghting and exposure are super. Some of the poses are too cutsie for a couple of this age. I wish trees were banned as a posing prop but that is just me. The money maker is 6. Great posing with far shoulders tipped so forward shoulders are higher, heads tipped toward each other creates warmth between them and great smiles. Just looks very natural but I'll bet you gave direction.
  • Options
    kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2014
    I like #1, 3, and 6
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2014
    Loving #6. #2 and #5 are also good. These three all look quite natural, nice poses & lighting. I'm not liking the tree one #4, and the pose in #3 looks a bit awkward.
    I think you did a great job, and would rock a wedding!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2014
    As an update, I guess there's a reason a certain look or pose becomes cliched. People like it.

They just ordered a 20X24 Gallery Wrap of number 1.

I'm happy, they're happy!
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2014
    As an update, I guess there's a reason a certain look or pose becomes cliched. People like it.

They just ordered a 20X24 Gallery Wrap of number 1.

I'm happy, they're happy!

I hate when clients choose the wrong image. 1 is all about her, not them as a couple. 6 is the one they should have gone with, it's really great in every way.

Yeah yeah, they're "right" about what they think they like, but they're wrong about the photography.

Anyway, I hope you delete the bra line before printing.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2014
    I hate when clients choose the wrong image. 1 is all about her, not them as a couple. 6 is the one they should have gone with, it's really great in every way.

Yeah yeah, they're "right" about what they think they like, but they're wrong about the photography.

Anyway, I hope you delete the bra line before printing.

I didn't know there was a right or wrong photograph headscratch.gif When you have paying clients it is ALL about them. I can have the prefect lighting, composure etc but if the client doesn't like how they look in the pic it's meaningless.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2014
    I know, whatever the customer wants is right. But 6 is the stronger photograph.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2014
    Great set, bright and sharp….perfect for its purpose. Good job. The only observation is Pic 4….the hand on the top…. looks awkward as it is somebodies else….
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer