Making progress...

esheatoesheato Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited July 10, 2014 in People
Took some outside portrait type stuff with my son while camping in WV last week. Canon 1DsMKII and 24-70 f/2.8.

Critique welcome and appreciated.

2014_June_Trout_Pond_WV_023_PROCESSED-2-XL.jpg

2014_June_Trout_Pond_WV_041_PROCESSED-XL.jpg

2014_June_Trout_Pond_WV_073_PROCESSED-XL.jpg

2014_June_Trout_Pond_WV_088_PROCESSED-L.jpg

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2014
    Very nice collection. To improve 1 & 2 watch out for "racoon eyes" ( dark eye sockets). Put a reflector under to kick some light back up into them. 3 is a cute capture. On 4 add or dodge some light into the face to bring it out more. Your did a great job in rim lighting him. With those corrections I would have a large size hanging on your wall.

On that last shot a reflector leaning against the front of you would have opened the shadows nicely. The sun was at the perfect angle.
  • esheatoesheato Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2014
    Thank you for the feedback.

I took these outside with available light. I'll look into picking up a reflector.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2014
    Don't go overboard on equip. A piece of white foam core board would work very well.
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2014
    Your first image is absolutely excellent. I was able to bring up the eyes in PS, and I find this image very captivating. Fantastic job!
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2014
    A reflector can be anything from a purpose-designed one to a piece of card, to a white sheet on the ground. Even light concrete acts as a reflector if you set things up to make it so!

These are just lovely - you have a beautiful eye for light, your depth of field choices are compelling, and that's a really cute kid!! thumb.gif
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2014
    divamum wrote: »
    A reflector can be anything from a purpose-designed one to a piece of card, to a white sheet on the ground
    or a bride's dress..rolleyes1.gif
    Just to support that it can be - literally - anything.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2014
    I think these are terrific, especially the first two. As previously stated, lighten the eyes a little, and they're perfect! I love how his eyes draw you in.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • esheatoesheato Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2014
    Fantastic! Thank you for the tips and comments. I'll be sure to keep them in mind next time.